CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 12/10/2008, 10:56 PM   #1
gt bandit
My Car Details

Down Under Thunder

AT / Shifter - help please

Hi

I am in desperate need of some help from the gang in LA.

I purchased this fantastic Shelby style console to upgrade my old console in the special - I love the special , but I am always happy to make small modifications to suit my self.

However here lies the dilemma - the shifter in the 68 console cars is different to the Non console cars ( A brainy move by ford !!) .

The new Shelby style console is meant to utilize the shifter the sat on the floor with the indicator bezel.

After contacting numerous suppliers i have come up with zilch in the way of a Non console shifter here in OZ.

So i was wondering if any of the LA crew could help me source a NON console 68 shifter and post it to me - I can arrange for funds to be collected at one of them money union places or if you got access to pay[pal even better.

I am really looking for something 2Nd hand but in good shape , i have a brand new (Scott drake) bezel so i don't need that but would like to know how the shifter indicates what gear you are in ??

Hope you can help

shaun - OZ connection
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Console 002.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	8053   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shifter 007.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	8054  

68 J/R code special - 2007 Turbo Territory - Mercedes CLK 2008
gt bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2008, 11:52 PM   #2
CougarCJ
My Car Details

Spaceman Spiff

My Garage
I think those originally used the early Mustang shifter bezels?

1965-66 Mustang floor shift bezel is what I recall.

Last edited by CougarCJ; 12/11/2008 at 10:37 AM..

Scott Behncke
1968 GT/CS 302-4V Honors flysis income beezis onches nobis inob keesis
West Coast Classic Cougar A good source for Mustang mechanical parts too.
CougarCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2008, 12:00 AM   #3
gt bandit
My Car Details

Down Under Thunder

Thanks - but the guy who sold it to me , also supplied the 67/68 shifter cover and said this was correct.
Looking through the Scott drake catalogue , it appears the console and non console 67/8 cars have different part numbers for the shifter.

shaun

Old 12/11/2008, 05:44 AM   #4
somethingspecial

My Garage
Shaun, when you replace the shifter it might be prudent to rebuild it before you install it in the car. The lower cup where the pivit is has two nylon bushings that can desinigrate in short order and it can be a pain to rebuild in the car. Whoever you have get the shifter, see if they can get the bushings for you as well, only about $6.00 U.S. CLUBPRO (R & R Classics) is probably your best bet as he also has faster access to a Mustang wrecking yard than I do and he can get the bushings for you as well. Hope this helps. Mike
somethingspecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2008, 06:00 AM   #5
Mosesatm

Is the problem with the shifter or with the metal housing that bolts onto the floor? Those housings are different for console vs non-console cars.
Mosesatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2008, 09:11 AM   #6
franklinair
My Car Details

My Garage
If you have a '68 non console bezel, the gear selctor indication is accomplished by a light bulb attached to the gear handle, illuminating the selected gear you're in. The light bulb holder clips onto the gear shift lever.
As I recall, the console type shifter has an attachment for a nylon rod that attached to the console indicator to indicate what gear you're in.
Hopefully someone has a good used non console shifter. Good luck.

Neil
franklinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2008, 10:17 AM   #7
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
Shaun,
Just did this exact conversion myself. My car was also a lower console car. I sold it to another site member. Neil is right on in his post. The console shifter has the little nylon rod that attaches to a bracket low on the shifter stalk to drag the light back and forth in the console. You had this I am sure. You need a 67/68 shifter from a non-console car. It has a “bigger bracket” with a square hole punched in it. It also has an “offset” linkage on the bottom side that the 65/66 car does not have. The 65/66 shifter is bottom linkage is straight down with no offset and will not work. There is a special metal housing that holds the shift indicator light and snaps into this square hole. Now the light moves with the shifter stalk. So you need to ensure that you get the light housing from the non-console shifter. It plugs directly into your original harness with a wire to ground. You will also need your harness for the back light in the console. I love mine and will show you a pic later today.

The 67/68 bezel is different than the 65/66. The early cars are “green dot cruise-a-matics” and have green dot in the 2nd gear indicator. When the early car is in “D” for drive it starts out in second gear. If you put it in the second position it starts in low and shifts all three gears. The thought was to provide the driver with a second gear start for driving in the snow I heard??? Weird, huh….

I got a used one for my car and rebuilt it as stated in the thread. Let me dig around and see if I can get another.

Rob
robert campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2008, 10:42 AM   #8
CougarCJ
My Car Details

Spaceman Spiff

My Garage
Regular floor shifter with the early bezel, pretty sure.

Scott Behncke
1968 GT/CS 302-4V Honors flysis income beezis onches nobis inob keesis
West Coast Classic Cougar A good source for Mustang mechanical parts too.
CougarCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2008, 11:48 AM   #9
case12

'66 Convert., '00 GT Convert., '36 Ford, '07 Shelby GT-H Convt.

eBay: case12

I have a floor shifter from when I converter to console. If you need it let me know. You bought the car I always wanted, so I only feel compelled to add a little of "me" to it Send me a PM and we can work it out. Casey

1968 GT/CS on cover and featured article, "Gold Rush", in Mustang Times, February 2006
1966 Convertible featured article, "Sweet '66' ", in Mustang Times, January 2008
case12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2008, 03:22 PM   #10
gt bandit
My Car Details

Down Under Thunder

Thanks a bunch - Crew

I really appreciate all the responses and extremely helpful advice.

Casey - you have mail.

regards

Shaun

Old 12/22/2008, 10:05 PM   #11
gt bandit
My Car Details

Down Under Thunder

NPD rip off

Hi gang

Thanks to Casey I have a shifter , I decided to order a new indicator lamp from NPD and they want $35+

What a rip off !! -

Shaun

Old 12/23/2008, 10:43 AM   #12
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
Shaun,
Not sure if it is like a factory one, but the factory one is made of steel with a special clip to attach in the square hole on the shifter. It is much more than just a socket and light bulb. But I suppose $35 bucks is a bit high.

Bet you feel much better now......

Rob
robert campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/23/2008, 03:43 PM   #13
PFSlim
My Car Details

eBay: calspec68

My Garage
I remember being very confused by all the shifter stuff since the guy who was the 1st owner of the car removed the auto trans and put in a shifter. There was nothing in the hole when we got the car. I think I made the mistake of not knowing the console and non-console were different and bought the wrong one from Ebay. Then, got the right one and bought a wire harness from ebay for the console. Once I got there, everything went together very nicely.

Good luck.

Paul

GT/CS sold to "PonyGal" for trip back home to California
1965 AC Cobra Replica - 390FE - Black on Black charcoal stripes - "The Black Pearl"
PFSlim is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions