• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 In Search Of New Engine

robert campbell

Amy,
To answer Paul’s questions above, to my knowledge all of you 289 stuff will bolt onto a newer 302 “short or long” block. You can even use your 289 heads on a short block, but that kinda defeats the purpose. Although stock 302 heads are not much different than you 289 heads until you reach into the era where they offered the “P” style casting which are mid to late 90’s stuff.

If you buy a crate engine from Ford or anyone else, you will need to use your oil pan, pickup, and the front timing cover from your engine. This will allow you to keep the stock oil dipstick, and stock water pump to match your new radiator. Another major thing is the vibration damper and flex plate balance. Newer 302’s used a heavier balance on the engine. The newer vibration damper has a 4 bolt setup for your lower crankshaft pulley. New aftermarket pulleys are drilled both ways (hey others on the site, help). Anyway you may be able to use your stock damper and flex plate. Help again out there! And again if you want to realize full performance from this crate engine you will need better exhaust.

I still think your engine may be fine. Clean up a piston top with a wire brush and see if it is stamped for an overbore. Get that starter out and give me some numbers above it. It may be a date correct block and maybe the original engine even if it is not stamped.

It sounds like you are in need of a prudent fix that does not spend all your money at this time. I bet that engine will run just fine with the heads redone and assembled properly. And the heads will be ready later if you want to do a total stock rebuild. Get me some date codes young lady!!! Time to get smart on date codes! I can come over and help!

I live in Bremerton, have hand built at least 20 Ford engines in my career from mild to wild, started new motors way more numerous than that. I bleed Ford blue, and the movie Bullitt that I watched in the theater in 1968 started my love of Mustangs. Back when they were not cool. I drove about the only Ford in town those days…. We used to be a big cruise town in the early 70's.

Rob

P

PNewitt

Robert--

This is awesome! Thank you so very much.

I'll contact Amy, and we'll get this into gear (pun intended).

I want to thank everyone else for their ideas and support. I know I'm being paternalistic with Amy, but she needs the help.

Robert--across the bay is local, so I think we can do something wonderful for her.

Again, my thanks to everyone!

Paul N.

franklinair

Well, GREAT BIG BUMMER, MAN. I'd like to help, too. But here I am on the other side of the country - trapped in the Smoky Mountains!!
Seriously though, Robert is right on track as for the rebuilt engine. I bought a rebuilt 302 from Advance Auto for my '68 convert @ a fair price. I re-used the damper, timing gear cover, flexplate, and crankcase pan with no problem.

As an aside on this thread: I wouldn't mind seeing the over sensitivity & sarcasm go away. Tis better to be positive & supportive. More fun that way, too.

Neil (2cents worth) Hoppe

robert campbell

Then there is Neil!!! Now this guy has built some engines in his career!!! I am a novice in comparison! I would love to work side by side with you on this. She needs help and we can turn some wrenches!

I may just drag the engine over to my house if she will let me. I have a hoist and the whole nine yards, but then she would not get to participate as much. Engine needs to come out and Mike and Amy can freshen up the compartment. Drop the motor back in and get her into motoring instead of filling the tow company coffers!!

Rob

J.Bart

Amy!!!!!! Do not get one from shcucks!!!

Amy, I also vote you get a rebuilt 302. Look at local engine shops, Schucks, etc. Sometimes you can get a generic rebuilt engine for about $800.00 that will work just fine as a stock engine. If you drop in a 390 you'll have to change the tranny, driveline, front springs, engine brackets, radiator, a whole host of things that will just add to the cost. If you really WANT to spend the cash and have something fast, look into something like this, based on the 302 or 351W.

http://www.coasthigh.com/LongBlocks-s/30.htm

Steve

I HAVE PESONALLY SEEN ENGINES FROM CSK, YOU MAY GET A COMPLETE LEMON AND THEY WILL NOT STAND BEHIND IT! I SAW A 390 THAT WASN'T ASSEMBLED CORRECTLY.
YOU NEED TO FIND A MACHINE SHOP THAT LIKES FORDS AND RUNS FORDS. IT IS THE ONLY WAY THAT YOU WILL GET SOMETHING DONE RIGHT. CHAVY GUYS DON'T CARE IF YOUR CAR GETS YOU HOME OR NOT. FORD GUYS WHAT FORD GUYS BACKS. CHEVY SHOPS COULD CARE LESS AND WILL CHARGE YU MORE THAN NECCESSARY.
if your going to change your cubes you should consider a 351 cleveland, not modified 351 400 but and acctual cleveland. they are built heavier duty and will drop in where any small block would go. i have parts and complete engines and would be willing to help any way i could. the machine shops here might be alot cheaper also.
let me know if i can help

J.Bart

oh i forgot

amy i know this might not be realistic but,ford racing has a all allum. 427 cube engine on a 351 winsor design. it was at sema and was really cool. it is a crate motor,so you would buy it and drop it in, its already assemble and ready to go.
just for kicks i''l see if i can find out how much $

hookedtrout

Did anyone read the article in the new Car Craft magazine on the new crate Boss 302? Looked like a great option to me if your in the market for a new Ford engine.

Cory

robert campbell

One of my favorite things to do is to spend other peoples money!!! By the time we are done, Amy better have deep pockets!!!

Rob

franklinair

I think we're getting off track here re: Amy's engine problem. Yea, it would be great if she has a gazillion dollars to resurrect her C/S. But I don't believe that to be the case. A big block or mega horsepower engine doesn't seem to be the solution here (at least to me).
A basic, stock 289 or 302 seems to be in order. Either can be mildly (and relatively inexpensively) modified to give enough performance pizazz to make anyone happy. My suggestion would be to locate a reputable engine builder locally and see what they can do, whether it be rebuilding her existing engine or just furnishing a quality rebuilt engine. An Edelbrock 4BBL intake & a 500 CFM carb would perform quite nicely in a stock engine without having to tap into the $700 Billion Federal rescue fund.
The big block, or high HP route would involve other necessary improvements over the stock suspension, braking, etc. Aside from the multi thousands of dollars for a "performance" engine, the peripheral systems would have to be upgraded, adding even more expense.
Hopefully, there are some good Mustang folks in WA that can advise & assist Amy as to the best course of action.Wish I were closer to help, but alas, she has chosen the great Northwest.

Neil (KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid) Hoppe

Midnight Special

...Yeah Neil, these things tend to blow out of control real fast not unlike the current So. Cal wildfires (Boy, 'hope everyone is okay down there!). Others & I have PMed Amy quite alot of practical & affordable (stock) 289 solutions and she's "on it"... BIG power is still a nice dream however, and who knows? Today's ideas can be tomorrow's GOes! :)

Last edited:

Doug

...Yeah Neil, these things tend to blow out of control real fast not unlike the current So. Cal wildfires (Boy, 'hope everyone is okay down there!). Others & I have PMed Amy quite alot of practical & affordable (stock) 289 solutions and she's "on it"... BIG power is still a nice dream however, and who knows? Today's ideas can be tomorrow's GOes! :)

Not to change the subject - but how is "davidathans" doing with the fires as I think he's close to them.

robert campbell

Neil,
You didn't get my sarcasm. I hope to visit Amy soon. I want to date code the block and heads. Even without a VIN on the block, this could be the original engine. I have seen many unmarked blocks in my day. We have pm'ed a couple times. I think we can get the heads redone and put it back together. I am a bit worried about the block deck as it has been overheated a couple times. I will check for ring scouring and have a nice long straight edge for the block deck.

Get her back on the road and rename the car from "satan" to "black beauty" or something nicer. No reason this car cannot be stone dependable.

Then let her save and dream!!

Rob

OP
OP
aemoo28

aemoo28

Her name is CALI-LICIOUS!

No longer Satan, ok. Cali "Licious".

I'm still thinking here about the engine thing.

Thank you everyone, again and again, for your valued input. I look at all the links and sites you send. I just want her to run. Mentioned above, how do we know it's a 'she'? I'll tell you, but cover your ears:

Somewhere in the deep heat in So Cal, the car was named a 'she' by Jenn, my copilot in driving the car home. I asked Jenn "What makes you think it's a she?" And Jenn replied "Cuz she's a b!tch! Spewing green junk on my feet! Not starting when we need to go! Spits out gas at the station! Only gives us p/s p/b when she wants to! Smoking when we're trying to get home! Only behaves for Paul! As soon as we leave him, she acts up again! Makes him come save us again! Of course she's a prissy girl!"

Everyone is welcome to come by and give me your .02 and I'll happily listen. This project is the best one I've had in years, and I'm thankful I have my forum peeps. I listen and consider ALL of your suggestions!

Party at Amy's house!!!!!! BYOCS.