CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 10/29/2002, 08:58 PM   #1

I'm not sure if my mustang is a true GT/CS please help...

I have a 68 mustang and I want to find out if it is a true gt/cs. The vin is 8R01C152046 and the other numbers on the inside of the door is 65 A I 2U 22C 72 2 W. I bought the car when I was 16 so I didn't know that much about mustangs. The guy that sold it to me said it was a gt/cs but I just want to comfirm it. I want to sell my car but I dont want to call it a gt/cs if its not a real one. Please help...
Old 10/30/2002, 01:51 PM   #2

Re:I'm not sure if my mustang is a true GT/CS please help...

Get ahold of Marti Auto http://www.martiauto.com Give them the VIN and you can get mini report for $15-$20, I believe, that will authenticate your CS. I did the deluxe report for $40--just got it back verifying my car as a "real" CS/GT the other day...
Old 10/30/2002, 03:15 PM   #3
xcodegtcs

The VIN is in the range, this car was produed one day before mine (22C) March 22nd, very close to Paul Newitt's heavy production date noted in history to the left. Also, DSO(district code of 72 is correct(San Jose). May of been an employee car. If all the stuff is there probley real. Does it have the black bulb covers inside the trunk for the T-bird lights. This would be behind the cardbord taillight covers if it is there. Also, does it have the correct grill? with 2 brackets mouted directly behind the fog light. By this date the car should also have Lucas fogs mounted on tall stands. These parts are impossible to find(or near) the odds of trading them of a correct GT/CS at sometime to a in range DSO car has low odds. Most likely correct
xcodegtcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/30/2002, 05:50 PM   #4
68sunlitgold
My Car Details

GT/CS nut

Mojoecool81,
some other key areas to look are:
1. is the underside of the trunk nice and smooth, it should look like metal not the typical hand laid fiberglass (I put a pic of the trunk).
2. the tail light wiring should have the correct part #, look on the passenger side of the trunk where the wiring connects with the T-bird lights. There should be a purple tag (it may have fadded clear) with the part # C8ZX-14405-A
3. The grille should be a 67 grill and even though your car should have Lucas lights, the grille mounting brackets should still be there, I included a pic of the brackets in the grille).

These along with things xcodegtcs talked about are key, but the only real way to determine the authenticity of the car is through Marti auto Works. I would recommend spending the money because if you have proof in hand, it will make the value much more than a clone or just a regular 68 coupe.

Please list the car here first to give those that have a passion for this car can have the opportunity to buy it first. Thanks & good luck.

PS do you have any pictures of the car?

Doug
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JJbackend5_lg.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	16  
68sunlitgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/30/2002, 05:53 PM   #5
68sunlitgold
My Car Details

GT/CS nut

oops...forgot the grille pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	grille1.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	17  
68sunlitgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/30/2002, 10:05 PM   #6

[quote author=Deadstang link=board=1;threadid=93;start=0#335 date=1036011063]
Get ahold of Marti Auto http://www.martiauto.com Give them the VIN and you can get mini report for $15-$20, I believe, that will authenticate your CS. I did the deluxe report for $40--just got it back verifying my car as a "real" CS/GT the other day...
[/quote]

Thank you for your help I will check that out :)

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions