CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 08/05/2008, 10:49 AM   #1
dcutting
My Car Details

I will learn to like horses when horses learn to buy martinis-Steve McQueen

My Garage
Looking for my first GT/CS

Hi Folks,

I am looking for the first GT/CS (and first car!) I owned. It was black on black, with a 390 and four speed from the factory, manual steering, deluxe interior with console. It had two holes cut in the dash for extra gauges, a Hurst shifter, and Crager mags last time I saw it.
I sold it to someone in the northern California Bay Area in 1974. I saw it in the area for few months, but then it disapeared. I don't have the vin, and the black plates that were on it are no longer on file with the DMV.

If any of you have seen it, I would love to here from you.

Cheers,

David
dcutting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/05/2008, 03:31 PM   #2
cnassif

Getting back in the Mustang Game

My Garage
Did you check the registry?

Christian
cnassif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/05/2008, 04:07 PM   #3
speedy02
My Car Details

Send a message via AIM to speedy02 Send a message via MSN to speedy02 Send a message via Yahoo to speedy02
I thought there was a car in the classifieds at one time that was pretty close to the specs you had. I want to say it even had drum brakes up front even. I know it was a big block and black. It was for sale in the southern part of CA. But I went into the classifieds and it only goes up to two pages and is not listed. Hopefully someone here may have pictures or even recall the ad.
speedy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/05/2008, 07:31 PM   #4
BroadwayBlue
My Car Details

Send a message via AIM to BroadwayBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy02 View Post
I thought there was a car in the classifieds at one time that was pretty close to the specs you had. I want to say it even had drum brakes up front even. I know it was a big block and black. It was for sale in the southern part of CA. But I went into the classifieds and it only goes up to two pages and is not listed. Hopefully someone here may have pictures or even recall the ad.
You can see more of the classifieds. Go to the bottom of the page and under Display Options you can select as far back as you want to view.

I did a quick scan but didn't see it.

Rich

1968 Acapulco Blue GT/CS 289 * 1996 Red GT Convertible *
BroadwayBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/06/2008, 06:21 AM   #5
speedy02
My Car Details

Send a message via AIM to speedy02 Send a message via MSN to speedy02 Send a message via Yahoo to speedy02
http://californiaspecial.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5780

Here is the link for the ad but pictures have been removed.
speedy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/06/2008, 06:56 AM   #6
sportyworty

The Cobra Jet Den

wow this may be my old car. Do you remember if it was an S code or X? Mine was 1 0f 2 Black/Black 390 4 speeds. Bought from a guy in Redding in 2002 and he had it since the late 70's. The car was from So Cal originally. It had 2 exra gauges in the center of the dash but was a standard interior. We may have a match. The car is now in NY and the guys handle is HD Mike do not know if he ever came to the site. I have pics
sportyworty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/06/2008, 07:07 AM   #7
sportyworty

The Cobra Jet Den

I still have the plates if you know the number let me know
Old 08/06/2008, 04:09 PM   #8
J_Speegle

Quote:
Originally Posted by worty View Post
wow this may be my old car. Do you remember if it was an S code or X? ..............

If it was an X code it would have been an automatic car - only way you could get them unless his was a modified car ;)

Friend has a Black on Black X code Calif Spec

Last edited by J_Speegle; 08/06/2008 at 10:04 PM..
J_Speegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/06/2008, 07:33 PM   #9
hcsstang

eBay: hcsstang

Three years ago I ran across a guy from Long Island that had a black on black 390 GTCS and I tried to buy it but I didn't have much luck. I don't remember if it was a stick or auto . It had the wrong lights in front off brand amber lights. I have a picture of it some where.

302 V4 HCS
hcsstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/07/2008, 11:32 AM   #10
sportyworty

The Cobra Jet Den

My car had incorrect amber lights, no side stripe, Laquer paint with airbrushed rear stripes (retro) but way cool. It was a beast and I can say that
Old 08/07/2008, 11:38 AM   #11
Mustanglvr
My Car Details

Former GT/CS owner :(

Send a message via Yahoo to Mustanglvr
My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by worty View Post
My car had incorrect amber lights, no side stripe, Laquer paint with airbrushed rear stripes (retro) but way cool. It was a beast and I can say that
I`d like to see pics of that!

RHONDA
GT/CS FOREVER!
Mustanglvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/21/2008, 10:13 AM   #12
dcutting
My Car Details

My Garage
Thanks for the help!

Thanks for the replies, I had about given up hope. I found some photos of the car just before I sold it, the plate was WGM987. It was definately a four speed, but I was incorrect, it was a standard interior, with console and tach, stock except for the holes in the dash.
Besides the shifter, the engine had what appeared to be an Accel distributor, an aftermarket air cleaner and headers, if that sounds familiar. A shame if it's in New York now, not much hope of finding it.
And yes, it was a beast. If not for the 3.00 rear end it would easily light up the tires in all four gears, and the manual steering was a bit of a work out. Ever tried to change the spark plugs in a big block Mustang? I don't miss that much!

Regards,

David
Old 10/21/2008, 10:23 AM   #13
Midnight Special
My Car Details

...Changing plugs on a '68 is actually easy. The '69/ 70 is much harder. Maybe because you had headers?..

Tim
Midnight Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/21/2008, 10:25 AM   #14
dcutting
My Car Details

My Garage
Mine needed paint, it was starting to burn thru from too much youthfully exuburent polishing, and one fog light lens was broken, so the might have been replaced with amber lens. The car was sold new from Jones Minto Ford in Santa Cruz, not So Cal, but close, so your car might very well be a match.
Old 10/21/2008, 10:27 AM   #15
dcutting
My Car Details

My Garage
Hi Tim, The headers probably didn't help. One side was not too bad, but it was actually faster to loosen the motor mount and jack up the other side than to fiddle around with trying to get a wrench on the plugs!

cheers, David

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions