CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 10/06/2008, 01:14 AM   #1
cnassif

Getting back in the Mustang Game

My Garage
Red face Hood Rust Removal?

I'm certain some of you must have had this problem so I'm hoping you have some guidance for me. I am restoring a CS and have a question about hood rust.

My hood has rust in between the two pieces of metal in the channels (everywhere I cannot reach). I've air blown as much as I can out of it but would like to get some advice on how to treat the rust in there before stripping, sanding, priming and re-painting. Please advise!

Christian
cnassif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/06/2008, 09:05 PM   #2
franklinair
My Car Details

My Garage
Buy a quart of Ospho (I think NAPA carries it). It is a mild acid. Remove the hood, lay it on the ground upside down. Pour about 1/2 of the Ospho into the hood thru one of the cutout holes, and 'roll' the hood around so that the Ospho gets into all the nooks & crannies inside the hood. Do this for about 10 minutes to assure the Ospho gets into all areas.
Then flush the entire hood with water to remove the Ospho. I then used a fan blowing on the underside of the hood to help dry it out. Now it's ready for stripping, etc. I would also coat the entire inside with POR-15, again 'rolling' the hood around so the paint flows into all concealed areas & seams. Don't worry about the color - you're going to repaint the hood anyway. Hope this helps.

Neil
franklinair is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions