CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 08/31/2008, 09:27 PM   #1
Bob G
My Car Details

Ford enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to Bob G
2009 Gt/CS. what Ford Should of done.

I spotted at new 2009 GT/CS on the lot of Worthington ford. So I pulled in to get a better look. I was very disappointed after looking it over. Here is a summery of why.

1) no GT/CS marking on side scoops

2) no rear fender logos anywere to be found even on trunk.

3) same V8 as GT package just $1000 more. it did have the GT fog lights

4 no hood locks like orginal

5 not even some carbon fiber for the hood and trunk like the KR-500.

6 GT looking wheels.

7 Two tone interior OK may be ?

8 no special tailights

Has anyone also got some feed back. I think Ford is streaching its mustang line a tad to much. Like a rubber band it bound to snap.

Bob Geco
Bob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/31/2008, 10:37 PM   #2
Diesel Donna
My Car Details

Take that pony for a ride!

Hmmmmm, I'll be in the Long Beach area tomorrow....doesn't sound like it is even worth stopping to look at!

My GT/CS was my first car, still have it 43 years later. Paid $800. Featured in the May 1998 issue of Mustang Illustrated.
70 Cadillac S&S Ambulance, 70 Toyota Land Cruiser
Diesel Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/02/2008, 12:19 PM   #3
PNewitt

The design team at Ford forthe GT/CS ARE the type of people like us--they wanted all the neat things that you'd expect to see.

But--with the losses at Ford (quite a bit), they couldn't spend much money on this Mustang variant.

It's not the best for the enthusuast...and those who know what the original cars had, but it may appeal to the average buyer.

These care will be modified by owners, and perhaps Ford thinks that the base CS idea would provide that start for enthusiasts.

I agree--it's too bad, but it's how Ford is being careful with spending $$ on their current line of vehicles.

Paul N.
Old 09/04/2008, 03:28 PM   #4
QuarterHorse
My Car Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob G View Post
I spotted at new 2009 GT/CS on the lot of Worthington ford. So I pulled in to get a better look. I was very disappointed after looking it over. Here is a summery of why.

6 GT looking wheels.

8 no special tailights

Has anyone also got some feed back. I think Ford is streaching its mustang line a tad to much. Like a rubber band it bound to snap.

Bob Geco
I'm not sure I understand your disappointment with the late model GT/CS. Are you saying that you are disappointed that it does not have more of the attributes of the original (1968) GT/CS? Or, are you saying that the late model GT/CS package doesn't offer anything special over the standard Mustang GT package?

If the latter is the case, I could not disagree with you more. Let me assist you with taking a closer look at the current GT/CS and help you understand why this appearance package is a screaming bargain.

1. You get the same body kit and wheels as a Shelby GT. Take a good look at the front bumper, rear bumper, and side scoops. They are all exactly what is used on the Shelby GT. The bumpers are more aggressive and completely different from a standard GT. Yes, you can get the same wheels on a Mustang GT, but I believe they are a $900 option the last time I looked.

2. The two-toned interior. The GT/CS is the only Mustang model in which you get this interior. The only exception would be the red seat inserts that can be ordered with the Shelby GT500. Personally, this was one of the biggest draws to the GT/CS for me. It makes the standard interior look bland.

3. All of the other little GT/CS touches such as special floormats, the GT/CS stripe, rolled exhaust tips, and the "California Special" faux gas cap on the trunk.

4. It is much more limited than a Mustang GT. As Paul has shown us, there were 7,653 produced in 2007. Heck, that is much less than even the Shelby GT500 which was a little over 12,000 units if I remember correctly.

Add it all up and I'm sure you will understand why the GT/CS package is well worth the $1800 or $1900 that it costs.

Now, you may have a bit of an argument if you are saying that Ford should have applied more of the 1968 attributes to the current GT/CS, but, let's revisit your summary:

No markings on the sides scoops, but they are on the fenders. I think Ford would have had a hard time making the GT/CS marking fit well on the current side scoops.

As mentioned earlier, the faux gas cap on the trunk reads "California Special"

Yes, it is the same V8, but remeber, the GT/CS package is an appearance package, just as it was in 1968.

I don't know of many modern production cars with hood locks, but not a bad idea.

This would be cool, but I think that would have raised the price quite a bit. I do wish they would have done something different with the hood. A hood with dual air extractor scoops similar the '68 cars would have been great.

6 GT looking wheels.
As mentioned previously, this is an expensive option that comes standard on the GT/CS.

Maybe? I have gotten tons of compliments on my two-toned seats, including standard Mustang GT owners who wished it was an option for their car.

8 no special tailights
No production Mustangs have "special" taillights, not even the Shelby cars from which the GT/CS shares its parts.

One more thought. Although I can understand your disappointment over the current GT/CS not having more attributes of the 1968 version, I'd like to point out that it does embody the same principles of the original. Like the original car, the current California Special is an appearance package that shares many of the physical characteristics of the Shelby Mustangs of its day.

Regards,

Skip

"Bold moves happen in this car every day, the kind that get you arrested. There are some vehicles with undeniable purpose. Flatbed trucks carry stuff, Escalades abet social posturing, and the Mustang GT facilitates hooliganism." Car & Driver - 2007
QuarterHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/04/2008, 05:07 PM   #5
Midnight Special
My Car Details

...Skip, I'm not up on the new models (tho think I am after reading your post:-) but wanted to say I enjoyed the way you explained all the high points. I wish more dealers were as "on it" as you. We went to look recently and they had no clue...

Tim
Midnight Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/04/2008, 08:50 PM   #6
hotrodgrany
My Car Details

My Fast Stangs

eBay: leona289

Send a message via MSN to hotrodgrany
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuarterHorse View Post
I'm not sure I understand your disappointment with the late model GT/CS. Are you saying that you are disappointed that it does not have more of the attributes of the original (1968) GT/CS? Or, are you saying that the late model GT/CS package doesn't offer anything special over the standard Mustang GT package?

If the latter is the case, I could not disagree with you more. Let me assist you with taking a closer look at the current GT/CS and help you understand why this appearance package is a screaming bargain.

1. You get the same body kit and wheels as a Shelby GT. Take a good look at the front bumper, rear bumper, and side scoops. They are all exactly what is used on the Shelby GT. The bumpers are more aggressive and completely different from a standard GT. Yes, you can get the same wheels on a Mustang GT, but I believe they are a $900 option the last time I looked.

2. The two-toned interior. The GT/CS is the only Mustang model in which you get this interior. The only exception would be the red seat inserts that can be ordered with the Shelby GT500. Personally, this was one of the biggest draws to the GT/CS for me. It makes the standard interior look bland.

3. All of the other little GT/CS touches such as special floormats, the GT/CS stripe, rolled exhaust tips, and the "California Special" faux gas cap on the trunk.

4. It is much more limited than a Mustang GT. As Paul has shown us, there were 7,653 produced in 2007. Heck, that is much less than even the Shelby GT500 which was a little over 12,000 units if I remember correctly.

Add it all up and I'm sure you will understand why the GT/CS package is well worth the $1800 or $1900 that it costs.

Now, you may have a bit of an argument if you are saying that Ford should have applied more of the 1968 attributes to the current GT/CS, but, let's revisit your summary:

No markings on the sides scoops, but they are on the fenders. I think Ford would have had a hard time making the GT/CS marking fit well on the current side scoops.

As mentioned earlier, the faux gas cap on the trunk reads "California Special"

Yes, it is the same V8, but remeber, the GT/CS package is an appearance package, just as it was in 1968.

I don't know of many modern production cars with hood locks, but not a bad idea.

This would be cool, but I think that would have raised the price quite a bit. I do wish they would have done something different with the hood. A hood with dual air extractor scoops similar the '68 cars would have been great.

6 GT looking wheels.
As mentioned previously, this is an expensive option that comes standard on the GT/CS.

Maybe? I have gotten tons of compliments on my two-toned seats, including standard Mustang GT owners who wished it was an option for their car.

8 no special tailights
No production Mustangs have "special" taillights, not even the Shelby cars from which the GT/CS shares its parts.

One more thought. Although I can understand your disappointment over the current GT/CS not having more attributes of the 1968 version, I'd like to point out that it does embody the same principles of the original. Like the original car, the current California Special is an appearance package that shares many of the physical characteristics of the Shelby Mustangs of its day.

Regards,

Skip
Thanks for your input on the late model GT/CS and I agree totaly. I just went one step further and desided to make mine as close to the original as I can, after all, this is a very special Mustang.
hotrodgrany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/05/2008, 04:44 AM   #7
rvrtrash

So many cars, so little time!

My Garage
I thought the new CS's had about 15 extra horsepower and were lowered 1.5 inches from a stock GT. Does anyone know for sure?

Steve

The wannabe formerly known as an owner.
rvrtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/05/2008, 10:42 AM   #8
joedls
My Car Details

eBay: 65-4-me

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrtrash View Post
I thought the new CS's had about 15 extra horsepower and were lowered 1.5 inches from a stock GT. Does anyone know for sure?

Steve
No extra HP and the cars weren't lowered. The front fascia is different from the regular GT and just hangs down about 1.5" lower.

Joe

HP numbers are good and all, but they're like asking someone how much they can bench. What difference does it make, if I can still kick your ass.
joedls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/05/2008, 06:44 PM   #9
JohnnyQuest515
My Car Details

Looking for another GT/CS

Maybe because the Mustang is supposed to get REDONE in 2010.

Just a thought, way of saving money.

JQ

CSX4853
09'GT500KR
JohnnyQuest515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/06/2008, 11:27 PM   #10
Bob G
My Car Details

Ford enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to Bob G
OK I got a 2009 Mustang Brochure to reread. the sales people have no clue as said what equipment is on the car and how it different. They would rather sell convertibles and Shelby Gt's.

The price listed on this Crimson red metallic GT/CS was $1000 more than a GT coupe. I do not see the difference. I might as well own the real 1968 1/2 GT/CS . the dealer wants close to $35,000 for the car Good luck!!

hotrodgrany thanks for pointing out the finer points of the new GT/CS , You don't sell Ford's do you?
It will be nice if Paul can get his book to print soon then we can all educate our self with what Ford did and perhaps has planes for 2010.

Bob Geco
Bob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/07/2008, 08:15 AM   #11
QuarterHorse
My Car Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Special View Post
...Skip, I'm not up on the new models (tho think I am after reading your post:-) but wanted to say I enjoyed the way you explained all the high points. I wish more dealers were as "on it" as you. We went to look recently and they had no clue...
I have heard this so many times.

The salesman I purchased my Mustang through is very knowledgable when it comes to the late model Mustangs. This is because he is a late model owner and regular participant in Mustang events, forums, and clubs. He seems to be a rarity. Ironically, I'm a bit of a Mustang literature junkie, so I already had a good idea what the GT/CS offered when I went to him to order my car.

"Bold moves happen in this car every day, the kind that get you arrested. There are some vehicles with undeniable purpose. Flatbed trucks carry stuff, Escalades abet social posturing, and the Mustang GT facilitates hooliganism." Car & Driver - 2007
QuarterHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/15/2008, 07:07 AM   #12
Mustang1
My Car Details

Black Mamba

I believe that if Ford is not going to do anything different to the CS late models from that of previous models, then they should discontinue the line. How many more years they gonna continue the late model CS line? Unlike the 1968 models, the run was for a limited time, thus the collector value. There are already many of these 07-08 GT/CS's for sale in the used car market. If nothing different is being made on the 09 or later models, then they should stop, as it would be financially beneficial for the consumer to buy a good used late model CS. If everything is just the same on the 09 models, then why buy new, when you can get a good low mileage one for less. May have a lot of 09 surplus models in the future, that they can't sell.
Mustang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/15/2008, 08:05 AM   #13
hotrodgrany
My Car Details

My Fast Stangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob G View Post
OK I got a 2009 Mustang Brochure to reread. the sales people have no clue as said what equipment is on the car and how it different. They would rather sell convertibles and Shelby Gt's.

The price listed on this Crimson red metallic GT/CS was $1000 more than a GT coupe. I do not see the difference. I might as well own the real 1968 1/2 GT/CS . the dealer wants close to $35,000 for the car Good luck!!

hotrodgrany thanks for pointing out the finer points of the new GT/CS , You don't sell Ford's do you?
It will be nice if Paul can get his book to print soon then we can all educate our self with what Ford did and perhaps has planes for 2010.

Bob Geco
No to selling Fords, but just love to educate those about the GT/CS's. either it the original or present ones. I just don't see why they continue to make the new ones and why they desided to make them for 07, instead of 08, of which would be 40 years. I guess you can consider me very privilaged having one of the first ones of the new design and bringing them back. I felt the same way when I got my 05 Mustang GT and was a long time before I was able to find one in my area and now you see them everywhere.
Old 09/16/2008, 02:02 PM   #14
J.Bart
My Car Details

Send a message via AIM to J.Bart
i have heard rumer of the 2010 mustangs coming out in jan 09, has anyone heard of this?

jbart
J.Bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/22/2008, 01:33 PM   #15
hotrodgrany
My Car Details

My Fast Stangs

Usually they come out in latter June, as you can't get any more Mustangs for 09 made after that, just some experiance from the past.

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions