CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 12/26/2003, 10:11 PM   #1
bindiman99

Send a message via Yahoo to bindiman99
tail light panel please help

I was wondering if anyone out there could possible help me out I had my tail light panel replaced do to an accident but the body shop failed to do the cut outs for the t-bird tail lights. If anyone could take some photos of the inside of there trunk with a tapemeasure in it so I can get the exact placement for the cut outs that would be great. I know its alot of work for most and this job doesnt pay but it would help me out a bunch. Anyways thanks for any help anyone can throw my way.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL
JOHN
bindiman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/27/2003, 12:55 AM   #2
rvrtrash

So many cars, so little time!

My Garage
Re:tail light panel please help

I have my fiberglass taillight panel off being repaired (hit in the back also) so I'll go out and take some pictures. Look for an email from me.
Steve
rvrtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/27/2003, 09:13 PM   #3
68sunlitgold
My Car Details

GT/CS nut

I don't have my car with me in Korea but here is a picture of the rearend with the cutour panels in place.
Doug
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	panel_cutouts.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	247  
68sunlitgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/29/2003, 12:42 PM   #4
bindiman99

Send a message via Yahoo to bindiman99

thanks for all the photos and help but I have one more request. When a previous owner restored the car they took off the side scoops. When I first got the car and didnt know what it was I was removing the bondo and came across holes where the scoops were at one time they filled them with brass welds it looks like. If anyone has a photo of there car with there scoop off I would definatly like to see it. Thanks for the help to everyone for the help and especially nid steve for the photos ive gotten of the tail light panel.
thanks again John
bindiman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/01/2004, 09:36 AM   #5
x-codegtcs

eBay: ski*beast

My Garage

I can get a photo for you in a few days - if you don't get anything earlier. On my J-Code, which I have the scoops removed from, the holes are sloppy and were double/triple drilled to get alignment right. Nothing to be impressed about. I am sure if you take the scoops and measure fairly well, you will be able to do a better job than the originals - which will help prevent water getting in too.

Send me an email to let me know if you still need the photos.
x-codegtcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/01/2004, 11:08 AM   #6
66 Dearborn HCS

Send a message via AIM to 66 Dearborn HCS

[quote author=x-codegtcs link=board=1;threadid=746;start=0#msg4142 date=1072974962]
well, you will be able to do a better job than the originals - which will help prevent water getting in too.
[/quote]

I just had a thought re: the water problem. Couldn't rope caulk be used between the shelby fiberglass panel and the sheetmetal taillight panel to prevent any water from getting back there? I use the stuff all the time when building speaker enclosures as a seal between the driver and the box. Makes it airtight. I don't see why that wouldn't work to make your taillights "watertight".

Scott
66 Dearborn HCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/01/2004, 07:46 PM   #7
rvrtrash

So many cars, so little time!

My Garage

Hey Bindiman99, glad I could help with the taillight panel. I can't help you at the moment with the scoops 'cause they're still on my car and it'll be about a month before they come off. On the rope caulk, because of the size of the taillight panel and all the angles, I wouldn't try to seal it. Murphy's law says the seal won't keep all water out but will hold it in, causing rust. Just my humble opinion.
Steve
rvrtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/01/2004, 08:19 PM   #8
68sunlitgold
My Car Details

GT/CS nut

John,
Here is a picture of a car with the scoop off, not mine. Hope this helps, you will see how the one hole is long because of the need to align it correctly.
Doug
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hole_for_scoop.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	248  
68sunlitgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/02/2004, 06:23 AM   #9
hcsstang

eBay: hcsstang

If the holes are to tight it might have a tendency to break the air scoop before it gets tight. ???
hcsstang is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions