CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 08/25/2008, 06:57 AM   #1
green56

looking for a oem or nos 68 antanna but i was just wouldering the differents between a $12 antanna and a $85 does it play any different?
green56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/25/2008, 10:21 AM   #2
nfrntau
My Car Details

My Garage
I would guess it may be in the quality. I had purchased a cheap version and the rods moved way to easy up and down

You may make it without friends; but with them, you can do anything.
nfrntau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/25/2008, 11:03 AM   #3
franklinair
My Car Details

My Garage
For $85+, you can get an electric antenna. Not politically correct but functionally far superior.

Neil
franklinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/25/2008, 11:22 AM   #4
@Holmes
My Car Details

eBay: SMUMANIAC

This is the best repo I could find. At 15 bucks its a good deal. It looks good on my 68.
http://mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=8813AR+01
Watch out for the square base ones being advertised as 68

I profess to know nothing and only wish to associate with those who do!
@Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/25/2008, 11:50 AM   #5
green56

did some of the california specials come with the square base or were thay all round i have a square base but i need to replace their is a short then i will put a round base hoping that they did not tighten down that it indented the square in fender
green56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/25/2008, 01:38 PM   #6
@Holmes
My Car Details

No. Square base was introduced in 69 models. These guys selling NOS 68 no they were not used on 68 and yet they still advertise them for 68. I have tried to stop this but E-Bay dosen't care. Total misrepresentations.

Old 08/25/2008, 10:50 PM   #7
Bob G
My Car Details

Ford enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to Bob G
Try Antenna world .com

Bob Geco
Bob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/26/2008, 10:38 PM   #8
spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Holmes View Post
No. Square base was introduced in 69 models. These guys selling NOS 68 no they were not used on 68 and yet they still advertise them for 68. I have tried to stop this but E-Bay dosen't care. Total misrepresentations.
Hold it! mine has a square base antenna looks to be original .I just bought a new one with square base,anyone else have this ,mine was built 04/30/68.
spoiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/27/2008, 04:10 AM   #9
hcsstang

eBay: hcsstang

MCA didn't deducts any points for my square base anntena. But they had a question mark on the judging sheet. I'm the second owner of my car and the round anntena would not fit in the hole. I have an exyra hole in the fender and had to go with a square base one to cover the hole up. I know of a dealer who had a nos square base in the box and it was stamped for a 68 model. Bob Perkins purchased all of his nos parts..

302 V4 HCS
hcsstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/27/2008, 06:06 AM   #10
@Holmes
My Car Details

I know. I see alot of this - a real touchy subject. As for Bob if he is old enogh to remeber he should know better. Alot of Ford dealers started to sell the square base as a replacement part. It fits but its not correct. These cars never came out of the factory with a square base. Introduced with the 69 model. This reminds me of the All manual transmissions had thermactor issue.

Old 08/27/2008, 08:43 PM   #11
obwan93001
My Car Details

My Garage
The Scott Drake repop round base

I purchased it from NPD a few months ago and it works great. Sections go up and down firmly and not loose. It really looks and feels like an actual original Ford antenna and looks great and it is very long to help w/reception. If you can't find or afford an NOS round base then I'd recommend the Scott Drake repop. The hardest part of the install was getting the new grommet to fit into place behind the fender. After some nice welts and scratches on my hands and arms, oh yea, and a few choice words and phrases, I was able to get it all in place.

Oscar
obwan93001

http://californiaspecial.com/forums/...3&d=1198481108
1968 GT/CS 289-2v V8 AT, PS, drum brakes, tinted windows, Diamond Blue, black stripes, standard Black bucket interior. MCA#:70104
obwan93001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/27/2008, 09:16 PM   #12
PNewitt

I did a survey back in 1985-90, and round antennas were on 98% were on those GT/CSs.

I would go so far to say that ALL GT/CSs had the round antennas.

But, for the folks with a square one that looks "right', consider that your antenna might have been broken in 1969, or '70, and the dealer put on the service replacement version, which was the square based version. Then, that part aged along with the rest of the car over the past 39-40 years.

All the advertising art and photos taken of that period showed round based antennas on the cars.

This doesn't mean that IF you have a square based antenna that you'll be busted by the "Concours Police"...LOL....but that what I know from my survey and research, it's overwhelming that they used round ones in '68.

(there may be an anomaly--that the New Jersey built cars (non-CS) used a supplier that only provided square based antennas. Maybe someone knows this?? Mr. Speegle?)

Do what you wish...it's your Mustang.

Paul N.

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions