CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 09/09/2008, 08:49 PM   #1
JohnnyQuest515
My Car Details

Looking for another GT/CS

Exclamation Correct Engine Color

I have seen some deep blues and my car has the light blue color on the engine. Curious why the difference in shades? Which is correct or is one just faded with age?

Thx, JQ

CSX4853
09'GT500KR
JohnnyQuest515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/10/2008, 07:42 AM   #2
franklinair
My Car Details

My Garage
Ford Blue

Use Plasti-coat Ford Blue #224 and you'll be on the money. Most Mustang suppliers carry it.

Neil
franklinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/10/2008, 07:50 AM   #3
GT/CS S Code
My Car Details

My Garage
Wink Colour variances ....

Probably the colour variances are just due to the different folks doing the work? The block, heads, and manifold on our 390 "S" code is a fairly light colour blue as well, but it was rebuilt over ten years ago by parties unknow before my best friend bought it in 1998 so I'm not sure where they sourced the paint to respray the engine when it was rebuilt.
The freshly rebuilt 289 that is sitting in a crate waiting to by re-installed in our 65 Fastback is painted a fairly dark blue, which seems to be more of a standard Ford colour. I'm sure someone on the forum that is more of a Ford fanatic than I am can tell you more or supply you with the official paint code number.
As a side note, when I was having that 289 for our Fastback rebuilt the young fellow that was doing the machine shop work for me kept threatening to paint the block and heads in a bright Chevy orange before reassembly since he's a big Chev fan. I just kept reminding him that I sell guns for a living since I manage the Hunt Shop for a local sporting goods store.
He painted it Ford blue .....

I may have passed my "best before" date, but I haven't reached my "expiry" date!
GT/CS S Code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/10/2008, 05:06 PM   #4
JohnnyQuest515
My Car Details

I found this article at Mustang Monthly and it appears the 68 should be Ford Corporate Blue not the Ford Light Blue.

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/howto/...nes/index.html

So, my engine color is incorrect and any other 68 that is light blue!

What to do with the light blue....

JQ

Last edited by JohnnyQuest515; 09/10/2008 at 05:23 PM..

CSX4853
09'GT500KR
Old 09/10/2008, 06:58 PM   #5
franklinair
My Car Details

My Garage
Don't know the condition/appearance of your particular car, but i'll tell you what I do. (Hopefully, you know how to turn wrenches.)
I pull the engine to clean, sanitize, detail not only the engine - but the entire engine bay and associated piece parts. I'm in the middle of such a project right now on a '68 convertible. It's therapeutic, believe it or not!! The MCA Rules & Regulations has a section that specifies correct colors for various areas & components. It's a lot of work, but the end result is WELL worth the effort. It's amazing, the number of glitches you'll find when everything is opened up & exposed. As a result of having everything exposed, today I repaired the P/S Control Valve (endcap was cracked), replaced all P/S hoses due to condition (Ford Junk! Only lasted 40 years). Cleaned & painted all the P/S & linkages (Cast Blast paint works well. NPD sell a decent P/S pump Teal paint, but I think it's too dark.) While everything is removed from the engine bay, it's easy to repaint all of the black panels, clean or replace brake lines, etc.
This is dragging on too long. I could write an essay on this project!! Bottom line - if you want your engine the right color - pull it out & do it right. If I can help, let me know - glad to help.

Neil
franklinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/10/2008, 08:05 PM   #6
JohnnyQuest515
My Car Details

Yeah, I understand. I'm still planning, bought it here on CS and trying to get my ducks in a row so to speak.........doing my research.

I'm like you and will probably do that this spring with my brothers help. I have read a lot of material to bring me up to speed on the "correct" look believe me. Neil, you can come help me with my hoist and pull it!

Thx, Randy

PS> my car is in the gallery now and you can view a crummy pic of the light blue dilema!

CSX4853
09'GT500KR
Old 09/10/2008, 08:44 PM   #7
J_Speegle

I prefer the look ( find it closest) of the Plasti-cot 224 (as already mentioned) for small blocks and 6 cyl and one of the Duplicolor numbers (sorry don't have it in front of me) for the FE engines.

Of course different motor families were assemblied at different locations so the suppliers were possibly different, resulting in slightly different tones/tints. Also items that were sprayed at different suppliers (heat shields, air cleaners for example) can be "off" slightly also.

I've got a metal plate with about 8 different company/colors I use to compare what original parts we find and have been happy with the results so far.

Hope this helps
J_Speegle is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions