CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 07/31/2008, 10:00 AM   #1
green56

over heating

would need help car over heats not all the time it seems like if i travel in morning the car runs fine then in afternoon it will run ok then it starts to climb when i stop at a stop light the temp goes up then comes down a little but not enough to stop from over heating this is a 289cid 2b engine was over hauled in 03 only a 100 miles was put on up till 07 do not know what was done the person died and on paper work rad was pulled boiled out tubes were punched and pressure tested engine was flushed 5 blade fan 21/2 " hub from fan checked air flow rag pulls up to grill their is a cond coil that is clean put a 180 in thermostat with all that done it still over heats today 31 i am going to put 160 statin and change water pump that is cast iron and flush engine again. Know does any body know what other things i can try?
green56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/31/2008, 10:09 AM   #2
Mustanglvr
My Car Details

Former GT/CS owner :(

Send a message via Yahoo to Mustanglvr
My Garage
The inside of the hoses could be bad. Have they been replaced lately?

RHONDA
GT/CS FOREVER!
Mustanglvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/16/2008, 08:38 PM   #3
hufbeats
My Car Details

Have you done anything to the carb? i recently had the same problem on my 63 Ford. No matter what I did I couldn't solve the problem until we repaced the carb. Apparently it was leaking making it run very lean. Fixed the card, fixed the problem.
hufbeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/18/2008, 09:07 PM   #4
@Holmes
My Car Details

eBay: SMUMANIAC

I agree with the above - also it could be that your block was baked when overhauled. This will cause the water jacket bores to flake off some rust spores, there sole purpose in life is to clog up just enough radiator tubes to hurt you when you least expect it. If you have the original radiator have a good tech flush or recore with original top bottom sections. Otherwise get a new 3 row from Johns Mustang.

I profess to know nothing and only wish to associate with those who do!
@Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/19/2008, 02:31 PM   #5
nfrntau
My Car Details

My Garage
Use a candy thermometer and a pot of water. Bring the water temp up and verify that the thermostat is opening at 180.

You may make it without friends; but with them, you can do anything.
nfrntau is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions