CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 06/23/2008, 01:49 AM   #1
cnassif

Getting back in the Mustang Game

My Garage
Red face Crate Engines & Smog

I've just purchased a GT/CS without an engine. It's going to be a RestoMod since I want to drive it regularly. Since it's not a numbers matching situation, I was looking at crate engines. I am looking to keep it under $3000 so what companies do the members of the forum recommend for crate engines?

I have read a number of articles (including a good one in Mustang Monthly ) that address this but I'm really looking for people with personal experience to comment.

Alos, what did you do for Smog (I know Smog Checks aren't required right now but you're still supposed to have it in California)?

Christian
cnassif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/23/2008, 07:21 AM   #2
case12

'66 Convert., '00 GT Convert., '36 Ford, '07 Shelby GT-H Convt.

eBay: case12

tri-star engines in Wisconsin. 347 stroker for $3200. they build to your needs, so i imagine you can get within your price range. remember the cost of shipping though.

Casey

1968 GT/CS on cover and featured article, "Gold Rush", in Mustang Times, February 2006
1966 Convertible featured article, "Sweet '66' ", in Mustang Times, January 2008
case12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/23/2008, 07:57 AM   #3
Mustanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnassif View Post

Alos, what did you do for Smog (I know Smog Checks aren't required right now but you're still supposed to have it in California)?
Nope, in California, if your car is older than a '75, then no smog test required ...

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/23/2008, 08:40 AM   #4
Mustanger

For crate motors, check this out:

http://www.fordracingparts.com/crateengine/main.asp

... and shop around for the motor you like (check with different places that sell these motors) ... these are also new motors (not remanf. or rebuilt) from Ford with a 12mo/12,000mile warranty (at least for the 302s) ...

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
Old 06/23/2008, 03:55 PM   #5
Mustanger

Cool

... Mustang Monthly July issue (Buyers' Guide) is plugging these guys:

http://www.f-p-s.com/engines/index.html

(I don't personally know how good they are)

Old 06/24/2008, 10:11 PM   #6
cnassif

Getting back in the Mustang Game

My Garage
I've found some nice engines, thanks for all your input. Tri-Star's engine link on their website was down so I ended up calling them. FPS is nice but expensive. I did find an inexpensive place for engines with a 7 Year / 70,000 mile warranty and thought it was worth mentioning to the forum. S and S engines (http://www.rebuiltautoengines.com/ford-engines.html) has a good list with decent prices. The 289 is $1,089 plus core charge. Needs some add ons but seems like a good company.

Also came across TuffDawg and 5 Star on eBay. Nice products and reasonable prices there too but only a one-year warranty.

Christian
cnassif is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions