CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 05/08/2008, 08:15 AM   #1
case12

'66 Convert., '00 GT Convert., '36 Ford, '07 Shelby GT-H Convt.

eBay: case12

Where to put it - the registry decal

OK - I thought I would have some fun and ask others where they put their registry decal. I put mine in the back window lower corner passenger side, but because it is a transparent decal it is hard to see, so I am contemplating moving it somewhere else - but where?

I already have a SAAC sticker and MCA sticker on each of my vent (wing) windows. I sorta dont want the car to start looking like my 72 Dodge Charger in 1976 - It had every racing sticker known to man on the windows ,fenders, and trunk.

So, where is the tasteful and best place to put the registry decal?

Casey

Last edited by case12; 05/08/2008 at 08:33 AM..

1968 GT/CS on cover and featured article, "Gold Rush", in Mustang Times, February 2006
1966 Convertible featured article, "Sweet '66' ", in Mustang Times, January 2008
case12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/08/2008, 11:27 AM   #2
nfrntau
My Car Details

My Garage
I have not received mine yet (ordered late) but was thinking of putting on the left quarter window under the tint.

You may make it without friends; but with them, you can do anything.
nfrntau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/08/2008, 11:31 AM   #3
PNewitt

"Where to Stick it?" LOL!! Boy is that an open-ended question!!

I would suggest either the lower pass. side corner of the windshield, or on the driver's side (roll down) quarter window. I would avoid putting it on the pass. side qtr. window, because while you're driving, it can mess with your peripheral vision, and you'll think a car is on your right side blind spot.

For cars with dark windows, like the late models...I would use the windshield, since it's the least tinted.

This time, the decals came out like little stained glass images, so you'll need some light to go through them.

Paul N.
Old 05/08/2008, 12:52 PM   #4
our special

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNewitt View Post
"Where to Stick it?" LOL!! Boy is that an open-ended question!!

I would suggest either the lower pass. side corner of the windshield, or on the driver's side (roll down) quarter window. I would avoid putting it on the pass. side qtr. window, because while you're driving, it can mess with your peripheral vision, and you'll think a car is on your right side blind spot.

For cars with dark windows, like the late models...I would use the windshield, since it's the least tinted.

This time, the decals came out like little stained glass images, so you'll need some light to go through them.

Paul N.
Hi all!!

I placed mine on the lower passenger side of windshield, but it was very difficult to see against the dark dash. I peeled the decal off with a razor blade and while it was still attached to the blade, I painted the back of the decal silver and reinstalled it on the windshield. It is much more visable now then it was.

I have another decal that I'm going to experiment with before I install it.

Dave
our special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/08/2008, 01:46 PM   #5
BroadwayBlue
My Car Details

Send a message via AIM to BroadwayBlue
Quote:
I would avoid putting it on the pass. side qtr. window, because while you're driving, it can mess with your peripheral vision, and you'll think a car is on your right side blind spot.

Paul N.
And you'll think it's another CS or HCS no less!

Rich

1968 Acapulco Blue GT/CS 289 * 1996 Red GT Convertible *
BroadwayBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/08/2008, 03:53 PM   #6
franklinair
My Car Details

My Garage
I noticed the same lack of appearance on the lower rite corner of the windshield.
Dave- what type paint did you use to brighten your decal? Compatible with the decal material?

Neil
franklinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/09/2008, 08:42 AM   #7
our special

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklinair View Post
I noticed the same lack of appearance on the lower rite corner of the windshield.
Dave- what type paint did you use to brighten your decal? Compatible with the decal material?

Neil
Neil, I've used different paints over the years without affecting the decal.

The paint that I used on this one was plasti-kote 282 aluminum, aka Rebuilders cast finish. I just happened to have this one close by. It is not a real good job as you can see by the border, but I wanted to make sure it was going to work before I do another.

I just took a couple of pictures which I will email to you because I'm not sure how to post.

These may come full size, so I hope you can accommodate them. lol

Dave
Old 05/10/2008, 05:49 PM   #8
hcsstang

eBay: hcsstang

I'm going to put mine on a piece of six by six plate glass and round the corners. You can put it on the dash or the rear window.

302 V4 HCS
hcsstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/10/2008, 07:11 PM   #9
PNewitt

I guess one could get some 3M silver self-adhesive reflective material, and cut a piece about 3-1/2" square., then press it onto the (reversed) face of the decal, then look at the back of the paper side, to determine where to cut the 3" diameter ring around the edge of the decal. Cutting that edge will also cut the silver material at the same time.

But--before you apply the (opaque) silver material, draw the 3" diamater ring on the paper side first (by looking through it with a light, to see where the edge of the decal image is).

When you cut it all out, what you'll have is a decal you can put on the inside of your glass, and it will be reflective, showing all the color through the reflective parts.

Remember to burnish the decal to the silver material--and on the glass--with the backside of your fingernail, or something like a plastic credit card, etc...to get the bubbles out.

Paul N.
Old 05/10/2008, 08:05 PM   #10
our special

Quote:
I guess one could get some 3M silver self-adhesive reflective material, and cut a piece about 3-1/2" square., then press it onto the (reversed) face of the decal, then look at the back of the paper side, to determine where to cut the 3" diameter ring around the edge of the decal. Cutting that edge will also cut the silver material at the same time.

But--before you apply the (opaque) silver material, draw the 3" diamater ring on the paper side first (by looking through it with a light, to see where the edge of the decal image is).

When you cut it all out, what you'll have is a decal you can put on the inside of your glass, and it will be reflective, showing all the color through the reflective parts.

Remember to burnish the decal to the silver material--and on the glass--with the backside of your fingernail, or something like a plastic credit card, etc...to get the bubbles out.

Paul N.
The reflective material would be a good idea as well Paul, I didn't think of that. I've painted one, so now I'll try your idea and see how that works out.

Dave
Old 05/12/2008, 02:16 PM   #11
PNewitt

Just as a notice...

I'm having to make more decals, so there might be a small delay in getting them out to you....maybe a week at the most.

I mailed out quite a few lately, and so, if you don't get yours now, you will very soon.

and!! When you order the decals, please tell me which one(s) you 'd like....1968, or HCS, or 2007??? I have a few orders with no preference, and I don't know what to send out....

Thanks!

Paul.
Old 05/12/2008, 04:45 PM   #12
nates68
My Car Details

cx-1 decal

Paul, Any Thing New On The Cx-1 Decal? Hope Your Still Going To Make It.

Thanks, Nates68
nates68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/12/2008, 06:40 PM   #13
franklinair
My Car Details

My Garage
What is/where do you get the 3M silver self adhesive tape you mention?

Neil
franklinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/12/2008, 10:58 PM   #14
PNewitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklinair View Post
What is/where do you get the 3M silver self adhesive tape you mention?

Neil
Vinyl Sign places might cut you a piece, or you could try a local hardware store. They might have squares in white reflective material for safety purposes.

I'd suggest using roll reflective tape, but it isn't wide enough.

If you or someone else finds something that works, let us know.

Thanks,
Paul.
p.s. Neil....do you miss Galpin Ford & L.A. yet?
Old 05/12/2008, 11:04 PM   #15
PNewitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by nates68 View Post
Paul, Any Thing New On The Cx-1 Decal? Hope Your Still Going To Make It.

Thanks, Nates68
Hi Nate,

Do YOU miss Galpin & L.A. too??? LOL...

I thought about it, and I think what I'll do is modify the same round decal to include the CX-1 name. Maybe change some colors, too. I might require folks to tell me what their mods are to "qualify" for the CX-1 designation.

I'm almost there...but the book comes first (I've been buried in very tedious work right now. Getting photos, talking to Paxton, magazine editors, museums, interviews etc..for those loose ends of photos and info.. about 35 people total). But I'm on schedule. Burning lots of midnight oil).

Paul.

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions