CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 04/26/2008, 07:59 AM   #1
classicsguy

Question Which to choose: 1968 GT/CS or HCS?

If you had the opportunity to choose between a 1968 GT/CS and an HCS assuming both had same drivetrains and condition of cars are the same ,which one will you choose and why?

Will you go for the less produced and rare HCS or the more popular and more numerous GT/CS?
classicsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/26/2008, 08:21 AM   #2
GTCSMustang

Rare HCS is my choice (assuming everthing is equal...including paint color). But a better choice is to buy both!

Scott

68.5 Blck Mustang CJ Cnvrt, 68 Lme Gld GT/CS, 68 Rd HCS (fact 428), 68 Ac Bl Mustang GT Cnvrt, 68 Ylw GT500KR Cnvrt, 68 Hlnd Grn GT500KR Cnvrt, 68 Gld G.T. 500 Cnvrt, 68 Ryl Maroon Mustang Sprint Cpe, 68.5 Hlnd Grn Fstbck, 68.5 Ylw Mustang Fstbck. Visit my website www.scottfullerreproductions.com .
GTCSMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/26/2008, 08:23 AM   #3
nfrntau
My Car Details

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicsguy View Post
If you had the opportunity to choose between a 1968 GT/CS and an HCS assuming both had same drivetrains and condition of cars are the same ,which one will you choose and why?

Will you go for the less produced and rare HCS or the more popular and more numerous GT/CS?
One item comes immediately to mind.
Which scoop sticker do you like better, the GT/CS or the HCS?

You may make it without friends; but with them, you can do anything.
nfrntau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/26/2008, 09:28 AM   #4
di81977

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfrntau View Post
One item comes immediately to mind.
Which scoop sticker do you like better, the GT/CS or the HCS?
That is a good determining item. No only which do you like better, which looks better with the color of the car.

While HCS are rarer, the GT/CS seems to be valued higher (per NADA).

Personally, I like the uniqueness of the HCS and telling people they only made 251 of them.

david
di81977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/26/2008, 10:34 AM   #5
6t8-390gt

Only in a perfect world would you find a CS and HCS that were in identical condition and options. That being said I would find the nicest one YOU can afford.

Danny

68 S code GT Fastback, 68 J code GT Conv., 68 1/2 R code GT Coupe

6t8-390gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/26/2008, 07:18 PM   #6
mmarsalone

The only reason I would choose the CS over the HCS is because of the CS script on the rear quarter, assuming both cars were equal.

Previously Monkey Golf

MIKE
mmarsalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/26/2008, 07:51 PM   #7
rvrtrash

So many cars, so little time!

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarsalone View Post
The only reason I would choose the CS over the HCS is because of the CS script on the rear quarter, assuming both cars were equal.
I second that. Maybe someone from Canada (eh) could come up with a High Country Special script, and then it would be an even bet.

Steve

The wannabe formerly known as an owner.
rvrtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/26/2008, 08:14 PM   #8
Mosesatm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrtrash View Post
I second that. Maybe someone from Canada (eh) could come up with a High Country Special script, and then it would be an even bet.

Steve
California Special
Colorado Special

Should fit.
Mosesatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/26/2008, 08:51 PM   #9
hicountrybob

Quote:
Originally Posted by di81977 View Post
That is a good determining item. No only which do you like better, which looks better with the color of the car.

While HCS are rarer, the GT/CS seems to be valued higher (per NADA).

Personally, I like the uniqueness of the HCS and telling people they only made 251 of them.

david
PLUS, who can really place TRUE values on HCS in the NADA 'cus there is a REAL lack of movement on them ie. one a year/half ago, Scott Fuller's 428 purchase and earlier this month, Tim's purchase of his HC. out of southern Colorado. Bob here.
hicountrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/26/2008, 09:38 PM   #10
GTCS95616

GTCS would be the obvious choice since CALIFORNIA RULES!
GTCS95616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/26/2008, 10:22 PM   #11
hicountrybob

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTCS95616 View Post
GTCS would be the obvious choice since CALIFORNIA RULES!
OBVIOUSLY, NOT IN COLORADO. TRY IT AND YOU'LL LIKE IT!!!!!!!!! and FOI, I own a '68 Royal Maroon CS as well as the 2 '68 HCS's. So there(I'm smiling). Bob here.
hicountrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/27/2008, 11:54 PM   #12
Midnight Special
My Car Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by hicountrybob View Post
PLUS, who can really place TRUE values on HCS in the NADA 'cus there is a REAL lack of movement on them ie. one a year/half ago, Scott Fuller's 428 purchase and earlier this month, Tim's purchase of his HC. out of southern Colorado. Bob here.
Bob, I received a very nice package from Pete containing the title, keys, original HCS ads and lots of other cool stuff! The car is still about a week or two out for arrival, but when she arrives - you'll be the first to know!

I feel very privileged and honored!...

Tim
Midnight Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/20/2008, 01:47 PM   #13
cnassif

Getting back in the Mustang Game

My Garage
Decisions, Decisions?

I would suggest that you buy the HCS. Two reasons will suffice:
1. They are much rarer.
2. You almost never see one for sale.

I have found no less than 20 California Specials for sale in the last two weeks but have hardly ever seen a HCS for sale. I'm from San Diego and love California, but you can't argue with rarity in this business.

By the way, what's the reason for buying them. Do you want to keep or sell them? Personally, if I could squeeze out the money, I'd probably buy both!

Actually, I'm probably going to do just that () and take my own advice. Will keep you posted on my progress.

Christian
cnassif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/20/2008, 04:47 PM   #14
pippin
My Car Details

Rubber Side Down

eBay: pippinc

Tangent, but there is a SKI SPECIAL for sale in Sacramento area

I know its not an on topic response, but i did not know there was a "winter package" Ski Special addition...

They guy is asking $25,000 for it, it was on CL in the Sacramento area. There is a cool badge on the trunk with skis and snow flakes and stuff...

1968 GT/CS, Lime Gold, C code,
It has years of "experience."
FE 390GT(416), 4 speed Toploader waiting.
pippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/29/2008, 02:17 PM   #15
hookedtrout

eBay: bebopin

Send a message via Yahoo to hookedtrout
My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pippin View Post
I know its not an on topic response, but i did not know there was a "winter package" Ski Special addition...

They guy is asking $25,000 for it, it was on CL in the Sacramento area. There is a cool badge on the trunk with skis and snow flakes and stuff...
I think in some cases things get so rare no one really even knows they exist and they have no following therefore they have less value, to me. Another thing to consider is what made it different. Early HCS's amounted to a lot less difference from a base Mustang than the 68 models similar to the GTCS. Having a badge on the back with ski's on it and calling it rare has no value to me, I'd probably only be willing to pay for the "Ski Special Addition" what ever I felt the value of the little badge was or what I could sell the badge for seperate from the car. Not that I would sell it but that is what it would mean to me in value as that sounds like the only difference on the car.

Cory

Cory
hookedtrout is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions