CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Go Back   CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions

View Poll Results: Should I change it?
YES 3 13.64%
NO 18 81.82%
Indifferent 1 4.55%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03/27/2008, 11:20 AM   #1
ahainline

Rear valance opinion..

I have been mulling over the idea of changing up the look of the rear valance on my CS. I have been considering making it look like the rear valance of a 69 Shelby GT500..

From this

to this

Even possible to do?

If it is possible, is it dumb to change it?

~ Tony
ahainline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/27/2008, 11:26 AM   #2
BroadwayBlue
My Car Details

Send a message via AIM to BroadwayBlue
It would probalby look cool.

I would think the exhaust can be routed OK.

I'm not sure about the decklid though from the fastback to the coupe.
They are different widths. Or could you leave the original deck lid in place and just do the rear panel and valance.

I think you need to do the rear panel too due to the license plate mounting and gas filler.

I have no idea what I'm talking about so take it all with a grain of salt!

Rich

1968 Acapulco Blue GT/CS 289 * 1996 Red GT Convertible *
BroadwayBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/27/2008, 11:32 AM   #3
Mustanglvr
My Car Details

Former GT/CS owner :(

Send a message via Yahoo to Mustanglvr
My Garage
eeeewww, leave it alone.

RHONDA
GT/CS FOREVER!
Mustanglvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/27/2008, 11:37 AM   #4
ahainline

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlue View Post
It would probalby look cool.

I would think the exhaust can be routed OK.

I'm not sure about the decklid though from the fastback to the coupe.
They are different widths. Or could you leave the original deck lid in place and just do the rear panel and valance.

I think you need to do the rear panel too due to the license plate mounting and gas filler.

I have no idea what I'm talking about so take it all with a grain of salt!
I wouldnt be touching anything but the valance.. I dont want to deal with the license plate stuff or the deck lid. Would just put the plate in the back window whenever I drove it.

~ Tony
Old 03/27/2008, 12:14 PM   #5
Perkchiro
My Car Details

eBay: Perkchiro

Well, my creedo is to never change anything that can't be changed back to original. Sounds like that change would destroy the car's original CS parts and look. So, in short I would strongly suggest........NO!

But then again, I do love the look of the Shelby. It's your car, do whatever flips your trigger!

Steve in Missouri
1968 Candyapple Red J Code California Special
Perkchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/27/2008, 12:18 PM   #6
ahainline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkchiro View Post
Well, my creedo is to never change anything that can't be changed back to original. Sounds like that change would destroy the car's original CS parts and look. So, in short I would strongly suggest........NO!

But then again, I do love the look of the Shelby. It's your car, do whatever flips your trigger!
How is this something that cant be changed back? Repro valance and cut it..save original. Exhaust on the car already isnt original so that isnt an issue. I am talking strictly looks wise.

~ Tony
Old 03/27/2008, 12:49 PM   #7
nates68
My Car Details

Hi Tony, I Think The Gt-valance With Exhuast Cutouts Looks Just As Good. You Can Put Cool Tips On Them. That Way You Dont Have To Cut Anything. But Im All For Modified As Long As You Can Put It Back To Stock. As I Did On Mine.

Nates68
nates68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/27/2008, 01:31 PM   #8
Midnight Special
My Car Details

....Nah, I wouldn't change it...

Tim
Midnight Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/27/2008, 01:34 PM   #9
J.Bart
My Car Details

Send a message via AIM to J.Bart
my two cents, and this is all personal opinion to everyones preference. i think the cs rear looks way better. i have always thought the 69 shelbys steered away from the mustang style.

jbart
J.Bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/27/2008, 06:37 PM   #10
franklinair
My Car Details

My Garage
I like the '68 GT valance design. I've just gone thru a lot of work & $$$ to achieve it.
$400 dual exhaust installation
$ 40 Repro valance (they DON'T fit)
$350 to have the repro's cutouts installed onto the original valance (welded,
finished, painted)
$ 90 correct exhaust extensions
($1,000,000. skinned knuckles, blood loss) ;)

Neil
franklinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/27/2008, 07:19 PM   #11
rvrtrash

So many cars, so little time!

My Garage
If you decide to do it, I don't think it would be a big deal. The hard part is finding the cast alum. tailpipe outlet/tip. It shouldn't be a big deal to mount the license plate over the gas cap either. Take off the stock flip open, put on a twist cap and use the lic. plate bracket from a '68-'69 Fairlane. With that being said, I think the '68 GT valance looks good also, and is less work, considering you'll have equal headache getting whatever valance you put on to fit right. One thing you might consider to blend the two looks is to put on a repo GT valance, use rectangular tips instead of the two pipe GT look, and weld in a piece of metal in the bottom of the cutout, making it look like the tip is coming through the valance. Sort of an early 60's Alfa look.

Steve

The wannabe formerly known as an owner.
rvrtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/27/2008, 08:26 PM   #12
Perkchiro
My Car Details

eBay: Perkchiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahainline View Post
How is this something that cant be changed back? Repro valance and cut it..save original. Exhaust on the car already isnt original so that isnt an issue. I am talking strictly looks wise.
Maybe I misunderstood to what extent you were thinking when you described the change to the rear end. If you use those Shelby endcaps, I would think you'd encounter some massaging of the rear quarter sheet metal. Is there enough room to run exhaust pipes to the rear of the gas tank and get them to exit the rear valance? That would be a trick too. Modified gas tank? I dunno, I'm no expert, but it just looked like a major tear apart project.

Steve in Missouri
1968 Candyapple Red J Code California Special
Perkchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/28/2008, 10:00 AM   #13
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
I agree with Steves approach to the conversion. It would hugely unique and I always liked the 69 Shelby exhaust look! Easy to change back.

The 68 bumper does not have as big a cutout, so it appears that the exhaust may need to be a bit lower, but it should work. Of note is the clearance between the gas tank and the valance. I would try to find a 69 and look this over carefully.

That cast alluminum exhaust tip is spendy to say the least. Also they are harder to keep up, but that should not pose a huge problem.

I think it would be very cool and unique! But I am a bit of a resto mod-er.

One of my favorite exhaust treatments is the 65 66 trumpets or a 70ish Charger /Challanger "e" body car with the rectangle tips completely through the valance surrounded by 4 sides and not a lower cut out.

Rob
robert campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/28/2008, 10:10 AM   #14
ahainline

thanks for all the input guys, this is obviously a ways off due to the money it would cost to do it. I think the tip that comes through the valance itself is close to $300.. not to mention a complete exhaust and while I am at it I might as well change out the exhaust manifolds for some headers. So right there I would be looking at close to $1500 without any labor.

~ Tony
Old 03/31/2008, 06:44 PM   #15
sam

Cool rear valance change

Keep the California Special look the same. But consider changing the valance with cut outs for dual exhaust/twin tips. It's a classy look.

it\'s great to own a 68\' ......live free or die
Sam
sam is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions