CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 01/10/2008, 12:13 PM   #1
wally05
My Car Details

I like Apple Juice

Woo hoo! driving the GT/CS today!

Well, I got the carb on and hooked up the choke, fired it up and just did a 20 min drive with no problem. The car still "diesels" a little though when I turn it off (it slowly shuts off over 2 or 3 seconds). So, it needs a little work. But, I don't hear any pinging or knocking. The choke opens as it should. I did notice that the exhaust popping doesn't really happen until the choke is all the way out. So, it could be a mixture thing. It's definitely not as bad as before, though. It's going to my shop on Tuesday for some minor things. But, I was driving it today... now it is raining! crap...

2008.5 Bullitt-#1911****
1968 GT/CS-Acapulco Blue/Black Interior
-J-code with 3-speed....
*Thanks, BroadwayBlue!*
wally05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2008, 12:36 PM   #2
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
If your hot idle is a bit high it will contribute to dieseling. a way to check that is to leave it in drive and shut it off. Sounds like a turn or two on the idle mixture screws may help you.

First count the amount of turns in to a gentle "seating" of the screw and then set both screws to the same amount of turns out. Then get it good and hot and set the "curb" idle (throttle stop screw on left hand side of carb) down to the 600 to 700 rpm range. Now spin one of the screws out a bit, 1/4to 1/2 turn. Does it idle faster? If so turn the other side out. If not, try a 1/4 turn in. Keep playing and set the screws by ear to the highest RPM. If your mixture screws are way out of adjustment and the RPM gets over a thousand, then back the curb idle screw down to 600 to 700. If the car is idling to fast, the mixture screws will be mis-adjusted. In technical terms the throttle butterflies should be correctly positioned over the transfer slots in the carb base. If the buterflies are to far open (curb idle way fast) then adjusting the idle mixture screws is ineffective. A common mistake.

Have fun and give the above a try.

Rob
robert campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2008, 01:25 PM   #3
wally05
My Car Details

I like Apple Juice

Thanks, Rob!

I'm actually about to drive it back home and it should be hot. I'll set it then. :)

2008.5 Bullitt-#1911****
1968 GT/CS-Acapulco Blue/Black Interior
-J-code with 3-speed....
*Thanks, BroadwayBlue!*
wally05 is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions