CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 10/02/2003, 04:34 PM   #1
mrshelbydallas
Banned

1968 High country special

Can someone tell me the appropriate colors for the badge on the 68 HCS? On one of the pictures I saw on the website, It has a white backgroud and a blue foreground. Another picture I saw on Bob Teets car was black stripes, with a gold background on the decal, and Blue foreground color. Can someone enlighten me on the correct colors and correct format the decal on the sidescoop. Thanks.
mrshelbydallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/02/2003, 05:02 PM   #2
admin
Administrator
My Car Details

Just your friendly neighborhood webmaster...

My Garage
Re:1968 High country special

The HCS decal photo in the "Identification" section of this site is from my HCS and is very, VERY faded. That's why it looks white. Bob's is correct, and he's also the one to talk to if you need decals. He's reproduced them using the original print company I believe.
admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/03/2003, 04:44 PM   #3

Bob Teets has these decals already. They are OEM.

Scott Williams
'66 HCS
Old 10/04/2003, 03:25 AM   #4
68sunlitgold
My Car Details

GT/CS nut

mrshelbydallas,
Bob found the printer in Denver that made the original ones for Ford in '68, they still had all the info to make more so Bob ordered some. The are not "NOS" as far as the age but they are made by the original printer to the exact same color/style.
Doug
68sunlitgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/04/2003, 08:27 AM   #5

Is there a copyright violation taking place here?
Old 10/04/2003, 09:03 AM   #6

It appears to me that there is possibly an infringement on the patent of this decal. According to a previous post, the person who did the original decals for Ford is still around. If I were "mrshelbydallas" I would do my homework before I started to manufacturer any FoMoCo parts, especially for sale.
Old 10/04/2003, 11:00 AM   #7
Jayscal
My Car Details

GT/CS owner for 23 years

They could be free...
With a "higher than normal" shipping price. :-X
Jayscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/04/2003, 11:50 AM   #8

Doesn't sound like "mrshelbydallas" did any homework to me. You may want to contact an attoryney on this on. Especially since you already publicized your endeavor and are getting ready to market a "better product". Perhaps you created a Web page about your Harley Davidson motorycycle trip, or created a craft project using old Hallmark Christmas cards, and you decide to use the Harley Davidson logo or the Hallmark symbol on your Web site to illustrate your content. Can you use the company logos on your Web site or on your craft project?
No. All company names, logos, brands, and symbols are copyrighted by the company or organization. You would need to contact the company, explain how and where you want to use their logo, and ask permission to use the logo.
Simple, well known symbols may also be copyright protected. For example, the red cross symbol of the American Red Cross may not be used in any manner by anyone other than the American National Red Cross and its duly authorized employees and agents and the sanitary and hospital authorities of the armed forces of the United States.
If I draw a simple red cross, add a smiling face, arms and legs may I use this on my Web pages or documents?
No. This would be a copyright infringement and you could face legal procedures.
"PLEASE NOTE: A red cross symbol is not a generic symbol for first-aid, emergency, hospitals, healthcare or medical services, products or personnel. The red cross symbol is a trademark owned by the American Red Cross and protected by federal and state trademark law, unfair competition law and anti-dilution law, and it is also protected by federal criminal law (See 18 U.S.C. 706, 917). The American Red Cross vigorously pursues those who infringe American Red Cross trademarks".
Another example of copyright infringement involves Hallmark cards. Perhaps you found a lovely flower arrangement and butterfly picture on a Hallmark card you received for your birthday. You decide to scan the front of the card, use a graphics program to remove the butterfly, then use the flower arrangement to create a beautiful Web page border background. Can you do this?
No. The lovely flower arrangement was created by an artist and belongs to Hallmark. Although you have "changed" the image by removing a part of that picture, you are using art created by someone other than you without permission.
There is a rumor (or myth) that if you change one part (or one line) of a piece of art work (painting, clip art, etc.), that the art work is now a "new creation" and you may use it in any manner you choose. Is this true?
No. The original artist of a painting does have the right to change a painting in some manner to create a new original painting. This does not mean that anyone else has the right to change a painting (or a piece of clip art) in any way (recolor it, animate it, use only a portion of it, etc.) and claim it as your own painting or clip art.
Copyright laws for created content, such as company logos, music, art, stories, clip art, etc., apply to every media, including cyberspace.
Old 10/04/2003, 01:09 PM   #9
admin
Administrator
My Car Details

My Garage

[quote author=mrshelbydallas link=board=1;threadid=619;start=0#msg3317 date=1065296312]
And if the owner of the copyright is still alive, or the company is still in business(heresay) I'll be happy to talk with them.[/quote]
The company would be Ford, so yes they are obviously still in business. The print company that produced the decals for Ford was just a contractor hired by Ford. But Ford would be the owner of the copyright since they put it on their vehicles.

My understanding from talking to people like Paul Newitt and Kevin Marti (who have had many dealings with Ford corporate office) is that Ford takes their copyrights seriously. That's why companies selling Ford logo products have to pay Ford for that use. You'll see "Official Liscensed Product" shown on web sites selling items with Ford logos on them. I would think the HCS decal would qualify as a Ford logo.

Now whether copyrights expire after 35 years of non-use I can't say. It's possible, but if I were selling a product that had a Ford logo I would certainly find out to cover myself.
Old 10/04/2003, 01:15 PM   #10
admin
Administrator
My Car Details

My Garage

Also, mrshelbydallas if you offer these for sale be sure you place that info in the "Classifieds" forum rather than continuing this post here in the main forums.

Thanks!
Old 10/06/2003, 08:34 AM   #11

Some people just don't like to follow the rules when told what to do.
Old 10/07/2003, 11:06 AM   #12

I just read all of this.....

As far as I know, the Denver Area Ford Dealers Association made these decals for the HCS, since the Los Angeles district sold these cars to them, with a 51 DSO, and solid stripes on the scoops, so the local folks could slap on these shields.

I don't think anyone in Denver will give a hoot about these being copyrighted. If these is a big enough "stink", and Ford legal catches wind of this, they'll stop the copying of this, but this isn't so much a legal issue as an ethical one.

Bob Teets went to a lot of trouble many years ago to chase down these decals for you, the HCS enthusiast. He was good enough to NOT take anyone on the price of these, too. Bob is part of a good group of Mustangers that want to see people enjoy their HCS and GT/CS, just as I've put in thousands of hours on my book, and offered many parts to folks around the country.

Perhaps someone could post Bob's address, and the price of these shield decals made by the OEM manufacturer, and those interested can get those--if they so choose. I would only accept his (sourced) shield decals as "concours".

I personally think that anyone making a reproduction part should be careful in it's production and promotion, because Mustangers are a close-knit family, and they pretty much are loyal to those who do things with respect to FORD, and to the buyers/restorers of these parts.

Paul M. Newitt

Old 10/07/2003, 07:15 PM   #13

If you are "dedicated" in making all of these parts, I suggest that you apply for a FORD license to do so.

Your message gives the impression that you are promoting that people make replica GT/CS and HCS, Ski Country, etc...?? SAAC has seen a lot of this, and it's been a real problem with the Shelbys.. I wouldn't present this as doing anyone (enthusiasts) a favor, since there is no gold mine in these parts, as I made and offered the Lucas pedistals, scoop screens and backing, grille brackets, grille paint, etc..etc... and I never got rich from it. I made these items several years ago as part of helping owners out. I also have propietary information on the specs, colors and info on how these parts were made.

Branda and others already make these items anyway, and he DOES have, and has paid for a Ford license to do so. With that in mind, he could legally respond to anyone else making these items.

If the OEM maker of the HCS decals are still making them, I would consider them as the ONLY original part--and the only concours part, too. I provide the judging rules for the '68 HCS (along with Bob Teets), and if the originals are still available, it goes without saying which is truly concours (you can ask MCA or SAAC the same question if you disagree). Computer matching can't guarantee the right color ink match, graphic design, or the process of the way these are made in Colorado. I think owners are already keen on where to get these items, and they will look for Bob's originals. Besides, they are not a hot item for the work involved in making them.

That is the reality of the situation.
Old 10/07/2003, 09:32 PM   #14

If your decals are in "3-D" vinyl, then they'll be real easy to spot at a car show, or anywhere else as a repop. Bob's are silkkscreened and perfectly flat. I think people will know, and they won't have to be a judge.

Promoting making repro GT/CS and HCS cars, I think is not a good idea. I'm all for personal mods, even making a 'Lil Red is fun, but if anyone were to pass off a stock '67 or '68 coupe as a "genuine" GT/CS or HCS is bordering on fraud. All a buyer has to do is get a Marti Report and it's all there in print.

I purposely left out something(s) in my books to help prevent a 100% fake.

PMN

Old 10/07/2003, 09:45 PM   #15
admin
Administrator
My Car Details

My Garage

[quote author=mrshelbydallas link=board=3;threadid=619;start=15#msg3364 date=1065583757]
Thanks for the info Mr. Teets
[/quote] Is this just a typo twice in two posts or do you honestly think Mr. Teets is posing at Mr. Newitt? ::)

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > Classified Ads