CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 07/11/2007, 05:16 PM   #1
westwood
My Car Details

Black 2007 GT/CS Minnesota

2005-2007 Exhaust Systems

Which axle back exhaust system have 2005-2007 GT/CS owners been exchanging for the stock exhaust ?
westwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/11/2007, 06:02 PM   #2
2007GTCS
My Car Details

I still have my stock exhaust, but from what I've been reading on some other forums, the FRPP exhaust (made by borla...there's 2 FRPP exhaust systems available) is pretty good drone-wise...Corsas are good too. You do realize that all you'll be getting is sound out of an axle-back system right? For power gains you'll have to switch to a long-tube setup with high flow (or no) cats.
2007GTCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/11/2007, 07:18 PM   #3
westwood
My Car Details

Ford Racing promotes increased hosepower by replacing the stock mufflers with the axle back exhaust system. Do they overstate any real gain in horspower? See attached link to Ford Racing.
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=7707
Old 07/12/2007, 01:36 AM   #4
2007GTCS
My Car Details

Notice how they don't say how much of an increase there is. If you want, check out some of the other mustang forums online...there's enough info there to make your eyes bleed. The FRPPs may give you 1-2 hp gain...nothing significant...that goes for pretty much every axle back system on the market. If you're looking for a better exhaust note, then switch the axle back. If you're looking for increased HP, start with a CAI (cold air intake) and tune. The FRPP intake and tune will give you about 15 RWHP, but if you go with a different manufacturer (C&L street intake is pretty much the clear favorite) with a "custom" tune from a place like Brenspeed, you could see somewhere around 40 RWHP gain. Sorry if you already know all this...
Old 07/12/2007, 04:48 AM   #5
westwood
My Car Details

Thanks for your input. Good food for thought.
Old 07/12/2007, 01:47 PM   #6
CAL
My Car Details

I've seen the light!

Excellent Thread. I did tons of research on this before "pulling the trigger." In a nushell, I went with the FRPP M-5230-GTAs.!

There are two FRPP axle-backs.... FRPP M-5230-GTAs and M-5230-5GTs. The GTAs are "zero drone," slightly louder at idle and sound terrific when you get on them - trust me. (They are cheaper, www.ninosport.com to order) than the -5GTs. There is no doubt (as I've stood next to both, driven with others that had both, etc.) that the -5GTs (a.k.a. Borla Stingers/same thing as FRPP) are.... A) Louder and B) drone around 1500-1900rpm - which for in-town driving---not for me.

Sound is subjective..... One person's loud is another person's obnoxious and another person's not loud enough! LOL. However, there is no doubt the 5GTs are louder than the GTAs, but the GTAs have "zero" drone and cheaper - and the 4" tips look awesome. Heh, the GTAs are OEM for the Shelby GT and Shelby GT-H. If they are good enough for Shelby -- good enough for me. (Can you tell I like the GTAs--you're right. They are actually "seasoning" and getting a little louder-- My advice, check youtube.com, but more importantly find someone that has each and go for a ride with them like I did.......

Oh, almost forgot. The GTA is more of a chambered exhaust (no hp increase) and the 5GT is more of a "straight-through" design ...slight hp increase (allegedly 1-2 hp)....I wouldn't expect any more than this.......

Here's a nice decision ender for you.... Open this link, stock CS/GT on the right, GTAs on the lett....end of story....

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/attach...4&d=1176584664

Ford Proud!
CAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/12/2007, 07:07 PM   #7
Z28ZL1
My Car Details

2007 California Special

I have the Flowmaster American Thunders which are (axle back) and made specifically for the 2005-2007 Mustang GT's. I did some research before
settling on these. The reason was no drone on long commutes (which can be a real headache) and sounds mean (loud) upon acceleration when shifting thru the gears. It has that certain growl I was looking for. Some websites have audio on the factory and after markets so you can listen to hear what they sound like. But in the end, it is up to the driver on what their preference is. There are a lot of axle backs out there to choose from. Just remember, when coming home late at night, you don't want to wake your neighbors, heh....
Z28ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/13/2007, 06:42 AM   #8
westwood
My Car Details

Thanks a lot for the information. The drone factor will probably play the biggest factor in my decision.
Old 07/13/2007, 08:57 AM   #9
CAL
My Car Details

I've seen the light!

My $0.02, GTAs......... zero drone, pass all emissions, street-legal and OEM for Shelby......made for your CS/GT. You'll love the 4" tips.. At first, they are a little over the top - but grow on you---especially the first time you open them up LOL

Looks great with the CS/GT and Shelby GT rear fascias as well.......

Ford Proud!
Old 07/13/2007, 10:45 AM   #10
2007GTCS
My Car Details

Also, if you end up getting the FRPP exhaust with the FRPP CAI (under the "power package"), you can get it installed by the dealer and keep your factory warranty. Don't know what ridiculous labor rate they would charge for a very simple install, but it might be worth it to you if you value your warranty.
Old 07/14/2007, 04:57 AM   #11
07GT/CS
My Car Details

Car Whisperer

I have Steeda catback.Picked up 0 on the dyno.When I type 0 I mean 0.Do it for sound ,looks nothing esle.Wait,I forgot you save a few pounds over the stock ones.

2007 GT/CS white 5sp. Named Cali
13.2 at 110mph
www.showcardetail.com
07GT/CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/14/2007, 10:37 AM   #12
westwood
My Car Details

Between the FRPP M-5230-GTA and the Flowmaster American Thunder, they both appear to be about equal systems. Which one has the deepest tone or are they about the same in that area as well ?
Old 07/14/2007, 07:22 PM   #13
Z28ZL1
My Car Details

2007 California Special

Go to http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2005/03/05Mufflers/ to hear a sound clip of the Flowmasters and the stock mufflers. Of course, sound clips do not do justice than compared to hearing the real thing. Borlas cost around $650. and the Pypes are louder by choice. You can get the American Thunders for around $280 thru ebay or the searching the internet and putting them on yourself. Direct bolt on.
More sound clips withFRPP M-5230 GTA and others at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsmZUaHzL7A I heard the Bassini's and SLP Loudmouths and they both sound awesome....but don't know about the drone factor.
Hope this helps. Also look at those sequential taillights on "YouTube". They are a must have.

Last edited by Z28ZL1; 07/15/2007 at 10:32 AM..
Z28ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/29/2007, 05:08 PM   #14
westwood
My Car Details

I installed the FRPP 5230 GTA. Very easy to install, no drone and exactly the sound I wanted. Thanks for the input from the GT/CS family. It really helped.
Old 07/31/2007, 02:41 PM   #15
CAL
My Car Details

I've seen the light!

Outstanding. You'll love them as they "season" after around 500 miles they will get a little louder and very slightly, but a little deeper.

Also, each CS/GT you'll see with the stockers on -- you'll say - man, those tips are too small. Trust me, at first my GTAs 4" tips were a little over the top, but they grown on you each time you step on it!!

Ford Proud!

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions