CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 05/10/2007, 11:07 PM   #1
obwan93001
My Car Details

My Garage
Question Has anyone seen stripe or ext paint chip samples on '68 GT/CS trunklid?

Hi all!

I've finally closed the deal on the '68 GT/CS I was whinin' so much about earlier this week and last and had a question on paint or stripe color samples on the portion of the stripe that goes across the edge of the trunklid/spoiler. I'm picking up the car and trailering it home the 150 miles next week so I don't have a pic of what I'm asking about but was just wondering if anyone had seen that before.

There are about 7 or 8 (not really sure of the number though) small square samples all different colors appearing to be the exterior colors that were available and there are two same sets on the RH and LH sides of the trunklid. Just curious. The car still has the original paint and stripes but will need to be repainted as alot of the paint has peeled off down to the primer and there is some surface rust as well. A few of the color samples are missing but I was thinking if it's a bit of a rare thing I'd try to salvage that part of the striping when it's repainted and then try to restore the samples.

I'm starting to feel the rush now and have to make sure I get some sleep every now and then

Thanks for your replies!
obwan93001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/11/2007, 10:27 AM   #2
BroadwayBlue
My Car Details

Send a message via AIM to BroadwayBlue
I'm not sure I understand.

Are you saying there are paint samples right on the car itself?? On the trunklid?

Where about?

I've never heard of that.

Rich

1968 Acapulco Blue GT/CS 289 * 1996 Red GT Convertible *
BroadwayBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/11/2007, 02:00 PM   #3
obwan93001
My Car Details

My Garage
Yep!

Hi there BroadwayBlue!

Yep. Small square samples stuck right on the stripe, one set on each side of the trunklid.

I'm trailering the car home a week from this Sunday, unless I can get some help during the week, and I'll take some pics to post here.

They seem to have been there for a long time and a few have fallen off over the yrs. I'm just curious and it's no big deal but of course my curiousity has been piqued.

Thanks!
Old 05/11/2007, 09:00 PM   #4
BroadwayBlue
My Car Details

Now you have me curious too

This is on the inside or outside of the car?
You're saying it's on the stripe so I assume the outside.
I can't picture this. Definitley post some pics of this when you can.

Anyone else know what he means? Maybe I'm missing something ... I know it wouldn't be the first time and I'm sure it won't be the last!

Rich

Old 05/12/2007, 04:43 AM   #5
rvrtrash

So many cars, so little time!

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlue View Post

Anyone else know what he means?
I haven't got a clue. I was going to just let it play out and see what happened.

Steve

The wannabe formerly known as an owner.
rvrtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/21/2007, 04:24 PM   #6
obwan93001
My Car Details

My Garage
Finally got my GT/CS and took pics of those paint chips/samples

Hi all,

Sorry it took so long to post pics, just trailered her home last Friday and started checking things out this past weekend. I finally took some pics of the tail lid with those paint samples I mentioned earlier and have inserted them below. Was just curious about them and if they had/held any significance. Thanks for the replies!

Oscar

Old 05/21/2007, 08:46 PM   #7
J_Speegle

Only thing that comes to mind is an early (before they were available made up) a Rainbow or Gay pride decal
J_Speegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/21/2007, 08:50 PM   #8
CALIF GIRL
My Car Details

It reminds me of the part of the registration sticker that stays on the paper when you peel the sticker off.
CALIF GIRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/21/2007, 09:03 PM   #9
Mustanglvr
My Car Details

Former GT/CS owner :(

Send a message via Yahoo to Mustanglvr
My Garage
Welcome to the site Oscar! It`s great to have you here!
Please post the Marti report and more pics please. If it was a special order car or something the Marti report may tell. Maybe this is how the factory determined the color of stripe with the exterior color of the car? Just a wild guess. Or maybe some kid felt artistic with his model paint on Daddy`s car?

RHONDA
GT/CS FOREVER!
Mustanglvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/21/2007, 09:03 PM   #10
obwan93001
My Car Details

My Garage
Lol

They do look like part of old reg stickers but the material is more like paint chips and all appear to be the same age though.

Maybe they were put on when Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon was released back in, dare I age meself, '72 I stink. Was a wee lad of 9 when it came out so just barely recall although I've since owned a few copies on vinyl and just one in the sturdier CD format.

Hmmmmm, mystery continues.... Maybe I need another Scooby-snack or two....

"Scooby-doobie-doooooo!!!! Where are yoooooouuuuuu!!!!!!"

Last edited by obwan93001; 05/23/2007 at 03:34 PM.. Reason: Bout of stupidity.
Old 05/21/2007, 09:06 PM   #11
BroadwayBlue
My Car Details

Wow I have no idea what that is or was meant to be.

I don't believe it's paint chips though. The coloring might be bad but I don't think all the colors even match. There were a number of blues for example, Acapulco, Brittany, Turquoise, Gulfstream Aqua, etc

What did the previous owner have for an explanation on this?

Does it look like reflective tape? Maybe for visibility at night?

Rich

Old 05/21/2007, 09:09 PM   #12
obwan93001
My Car Details

My Garage
Here's a copy of the Marti on her...

No special order mentioned in basic report. I'll be upgrading to the Deluxe version now that I have the car but I don't think that'll reveal anymore info relative to the color chips though.

Many thanks to those who've replied so far! Darn curiousity has me know though......
Old 05/21/2007, 09:20 PM   #13
obwan93001
My Car Details

My Garage
Doesn't appear to be reflective....

Hi BroadwayBlue,

A few of the pics I took yesterday were with the flash enabled on my camcorder and I didn't see any reflection of the flash come off of them however. I shined a light on them a few mins ago and no reflection although any reflective material could possibly have worn off with age. I agree in regards to them not seeming to be the available color choices for '68 either when I compare to the available colors. The paint, what's left of it, is original from what we can tell. PO didn't know anything about them as he only had it for a couple of weeks before daddy made him sell it. I do have the pink slip and current registration with name and addy of the person the son bought it from so maybe I'll send him a note asking what he knows. The glove compartment did however contain the original owners manual, only manual though, with the original owner's name and addy as well as that of the dealership in Huntington Park, CA although I tend to venture that dealership is most likely no longer around. I grew up 50 mi from Los Angeles and still live in the vicinity and do not ever recall seeing that dealer's name mentioned on any of the Los Angeles TV and radio stations I've watched and listened to in the past 40 some odd yrs.

I sincerely hope no one is banging their head against their desk or wall trying to help me with this as it's not that important but you all know how curiousity can get the best of us all.

Oscar

Last edited by obwan93001; 05/21/2007 at 09:34 PM.. Reason: Orig dealership not in Compton, orig owner was. Dealer was in Huntington Park. Me eyes just ain't what they used to be.
Old 05/21/2007, 10:30 PM   #14
Mustanglvr
My Car Details

Former GT/CS owner :(

Send a message via Yahoo to Mustanglvr
My Garage
If it was indeed something done in the factory or by the dealer, then it is very important to us to know why. The history of the GT/CS must be preserved.

RHONDA
GT/CS FOREVER!
Mustanglvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/21/2007, 10:58 PM   #15
obwan93001
My Car Details

My Garage
I totally and wholeheartedly agree

Being a bit of a history buff is a big reason I brought it up and would like to find out too. They definately appear to be about the age of the car itself so all the more reason to find if there is any signifacance to our GT/CS's history.

I Yellow Book'd the original dealer's address in Huntington Park, CA and found Sopp Ford Truck dealship at the same street number but what appears to be a renamed portion of Pacific Bl, possibly now called South Alameda St? On a map it appears to be the same street as Pacific Bl. I sent a general email to that dealer asking if they were once Taylor-Slatin Ford and if they had any historical paperwork/info available from the old dealer. I know it's a long shot but worth the few mins in exchanging emails to find out. I'll keep y'all posted on any info I receive.

I'll be entering mine in the registry in the coming days as I want to gather notes for many of the answers about the car asked in the registry so as to be as concise as possible.

Thanks!

Oscar

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions