CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 01/05/2007, 12:40 PM   #1
njmop

My Garage
Smile Rear Quarter Panel Extension Strip/Repair ?

Couple of questions regarding the rear quarter panel extensions:

1.) Are they plastic or fiberglass? (original pieces on the car...I'm fairly certain they are fiberglass...)
2.) What type of paint striper should I use on these?

I ask because the lower part of my extensions are cracked from impact of the bumper. Nothing too bad but I wanted to do a fiberglass repair on them. There is at least two layers of paint on them and my car needs paint anyway, so if figured I'd strip them and prep them now. I don't want to damage them further with the wrong stuff.

68 Acupulco Blue GT/CS in 10,000 pieces and parts...I hope to drive it again one day...
njmop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/05/2007, 01:55 PM   #2
PFSlim
My Car Details

eBay: calspec68

My Garage
They are fiberglass. I can't speak to the paint stripper however. I would think about hand sanding them down to take the new fiberglass repair. We had to build our extensions out since ours were aftermarket from Branda and the body curve was not right for our car.

Paul

GT/CS sold to "PonyGal" for trip back home to California
1965 AC Cobra Replica - 390FE - Black on Black charcoal stripes - "The Black Pearl"
PFSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/05/2007, 02:17 PM   #3
njmop

My Garage
Sounds good

Paul
I could very well just sand them. I'll take some before and after picks and maybe post them to the resto reference if they work out nice. I just didn't want to get a stripper that would damage the fiberglass.

68 Acupulco Blue GT/CS in 10,000 pieces and parts...I hope to drive it again one day...
njmop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/05/2007, 04:54 PM   #4
rvrtrash

So many cars, so little time!

My Garage
Mine were damaged also and I sanded them before repairing. I may have committed a cardinal sin though. Since I had the fiberglass resin handy, and was fixing the broken parts, I built them up in a couple of areas to match the body lines of the car. The tell-tale mismatch areas are gone.

Steve

The wannabe formerly known as an owner.
rvrtrash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/05/2007, 05:09 PM   #5
Perkchiro
My Car Details

eBay: Perkchiro

As per a recommendation by a car body guy, I used aircraft stripper to take 2 coats of paint down off my trunk, end caps, side scoops and taillight panel. It worked but he warned me not to scape to deep and gouge the gel coat, but I did in a couple of spots. The body shop repaired and sanded those pieces and it turned out pretty well. I was a bit nervous doing that so I don't know if others here have tried that method. Just thought I'd share that bit of info.

Steve in Missouri
1968 Candyapple Red J Code California Special
Perkchiro is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions