CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 12/11/2006, 05:40 PM   #1
nfrntau
My Car Details

My Garage
Deck lid paint mark

While Arlie and I were stripping paint this weekend we came across this mark on the underside of the deck lid. (or the boot lid for some of you).
Has anyone else found one of these?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1470.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	3205  

Last edited by nfrntau; 12/11/2006 at 05:52 PM..

You may make it without friends; but with them, you can do anything.
nfrntau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2006, 06:43 PM   #2
mmarsalone

You've found the Easter Egg !! I didn't know they were hiding these in Silicon Valley way back then, even at the Ford plant. You've done all of the right steps in the correct order to find it. ................ Most Palm Pilots used to have a hidden Easter Egg that you could make appear.

Actually, I have no idea what that is.

Previously Monkey Golf

MIKE
mmarsalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2006, 06:50 PM   #3
Mustanglvr
My Car Details

Former GT/CS owner :(

Send a message via Yahoo to Mustanglvr
My Garage
If you turn your head to the left, it looks like the number 71 with a circle around it. I`m serious, lol.

RHONDA
GT/CS FOREVER!
Mustanglvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2006, 08:15 PM   #4
6t8-390gt

An inspection mark for sure. I agree with Rhonda looks like a 71 with a circle around it.

68 S code GT Fastback, 68 J code GT Conv., 68 1/2 R code GT Coupe

6t8-390gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2006, 09:43 AM   #5
nfrntau
My Car Details

My Garage
I kind of like the easter egg option.
I thought it was interesting that it was under the original paint but the stripper didn't effect it.

Old 12/12/2006, 08:07 PM   #6
J_Speegle

Its not an inspection mark from what we've seen and not specific to Cal Specials. Very few of the cars had such markings on the trunk lid and the hood (two places similar marks have been found) There purpose is know at this time (plant workers have been asked).

Was this under the original paint or just under a repaint? Normally we find these (WHEN we find them,) they are on top of the paint. Under the paint would indicate a shipping or crating identification mark possibly

Could indicate a number of things from what we've been told but nothing certain ;)

Always great to see though.
J_Speegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2006, 08:26 PM   #7
PNewitt

This is a longshot theory, but we're finding that GT/CS and the HCS cars were built in batches, based on DSO orders. So, this decklid could have been for a 71 DSO batch of cars, and/or a set of trunklids that were stacked on pallattes, with the top one marked for a specific batch, during a specific shift at the plant.

is this car a DSO 71 car? or--was the following batch 71 DSO "GT/CSs?

...just a theory, and one more thing for Jeff to ponder, consider, check into, or TOSS OUT!....LOL!!

Paul N.
Old 12/13/2006, 08:41 AM   #8
nfrntau
My Car Details

My Garage
The DSO is 71, Coberly Ford in Los Angeles. The mark was under the paint.
Paul, Good thought, any old photos of these deck lids on pallets? You propbably wouldn't see a mark but you should be able to tell if they are bottom side up or not.

Old 12/13/2006, 08:47 AM   #9
Mosesatm

Bill, is the mark on the primer or on the fiberglass?
Mosesatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/13/2006, 10:33 AM   #10
nfrntau
My Car Details

My Garage
The mark appears to be on top of the primer. Were the deck lids and fiberglass pieces primed before shipping?

Old 12/13/2006, 10:35 AM   #11
asahlstein
My Car Details

I think we all should go out with our grinders to take the paint off to verify this theory!!!! Any takers???
asahlstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/13/2006, 10:39 AM   #12
nfrntau
My Car Details

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahlstein
I think we all should go out with our grinders to take the paint off to verify this theory!!!! Any takers???
This will surely weed out which of our members are a few cards short of a full deck!

Old 12/14/2006, 11:19 AM   #13
Perkchiro
My Car Details

eBay: Perkchiro

For what it's worth, I chemically stripped my fiberglass deck lid and I didn't see any markings. Of course, the stripper may have taken off any marks too. If that was a pallet marking, and they were stacked, wouldn't the mark be just be on the top deck lid? If so, the rate of occurance would be small. Just my thoughts.

Steve in Missouri
1968 Candyapple Red J Code California Special
Perkchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/2006, 08:04 PM   #14
J_Speegle

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfrntau
The DSO is 71, Coberly Ford in Los Angeles. The mark was under the paint.
Has the car ever been repainted? If so maybe they just painted over the mark and the original paint when doing this. As I reported we have pictures of other San Jose cars (other years) that had similar marks over the paint,

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNewitt
his is a longshot theory, but we're finding that GT/CS and the HCS cars were built in batches, based on DSO orders. So, this decklid could have been for a 71 DSO batch of cars, and/or a set of trunklids that were stacked on pallattes, with the top one marked for a specific batch, during a specific shift at the plant.
No reason to mark specific trunk lid for specific districts. But the idea of marking a crate of pallet for or during shipping is a possibility. Sort of like the paper tag "Ready for Shipping" we see in some old magazines on front coil springs and the like.

We have also seen markings (not saying that they are similar to the ones we are discussing) that appear to be inventory identifiers put on a car at the dealership.
J_Speegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/15/2006, 03:00 PM   #15
PNewitt

"No reason to mark specific trunk lid for specific districts. But the idea of marking a crate of pallet for or during shipping is a possibility. Sort of like the paper tag "Ready for Shipping" we see in some old magazines on front coil springs and the like." --Jeff Speegle

I just checked my notes from my 1988 interview with Lee Grey, and he said that cars were built in specific "DSO batches". Those numbers are showing up in the new registry results, too.

I also re-read that all the cars built for March and April were from orders made at the Feb 15th party at the Century Plaza Hotel, in L.A. (where we shot photos).

What I want to know from that decklid photo, is who drew the "Barbie doll wearing a thong"--located at the upper center-right of the photo? Factory or...um Owner artwork? This, of course, is critical factory history information...!! LOL!!

"Kilroy Was Here" strikes again!

Paul N.

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions