• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

"Paint Stripe" opinions

rvrtrash

On another thread, the opinion seemed to lean toward a pin stripe at the top of the body line (with some pretty convincing documentation for me by the way) for the line on a Marti report that calls for a paint stripe. Mine is supposed to have a red paint stripe so I modified one of my pictures to include this pin stripe. I'm looking for opinions of whether I should have it painted on my car. Right now I'm on the fence so welcome thoughts from the rest of the family.

Steve

Attachments

• painta.JPG
    painta.JPG
    213.8 KB · Views: 109

joedls

Depends on whether or not you want to go back to original, but I'd leave it off. I think your car looks awesome the way it is.

68gt390

Steve;
I'm with joe, leave it off. Seems to clash to much with your red stripe down the center of the car. Then on the other hand, you know what we always say, it's your car - "DO WHAT YOU WANT".

Don

Perkchiro

Steve: I just think it looks too "busy". Just too much striping but if you do it, I would suggest deletion of the vertical drop off at the rear. That's just my humble opinion. You have a beautiful car either way.

P

PNewitt

From a purely Design standpoint, if you wish to restore the look in 1968, bring back the accent stripe. Cars had those stripes, and the look was a bit more "embellished". The extreme example was that Plymouth Road Runner stripe with the swirls and a little animated Road Runner on it. This was a common thing.

By today's standards, you don't see that a lot on new cars. If you do, it is thought of like a street rod culture (i.e. Von Dutch) type of thing.

If you want a vintage look, I'd go for it. If you want a contemporary look, don't do it.

What I would like to know is how does the accent stripe terminate at the back, if the end caps are not stock? Does anyone have a photo of their original accent stripe at the rear?

my two bits,

Paul N.

sam

I would leave well enough alone.....................your car looks awesome as it is ( I'm partial because mine is Whimbleton White w/ black stripe). I think adding the red pin stripe makes the car look too "cookie cutterish." ( Is that a word?) But as others have said, do whatever you feel like.

Sam

CALIF GIRL

The only time I have seen the stripes was on Bob Teet's HCS. I thought the black stripe against his red car looked great.

Last edited:

joedls

CALIF GIRL said:
The only time I have seen the stripes was on Bob Teet's HSC. I thought the black stripe against his red car looked great.

I agree. I liked Bob's. I think it works on some color combinations.

Midnight Special

Perkchiro said:
Steve: I just think it looks too "busy". Just too much striping but if you do it, I would suggest deletion of the vertical drop off at the rear. That's just my humble opinion. You have a beautiful car either way.

I agree with Steve here, especially the last line. The CS by design (I feel) needs no further accent.

OP
OP
rvrtrash

rvrtrash

I really appreciate everyone's input (and compliments). To be honest, I wasn't really thrilled with the pin stripe myself but wondered if I should put it on for originality. I think I'll just leave it alone for now. It's not like deciding which color to paint the car, I can always add it later if I find out it's the only white CS with the red stripe or something. Thanks again to everyone who posted. By the way Paul. If I would have been the one designing the stripe for Ford to put on the CS, I would've had it flip up into the spoiler edge at the very end instead of turning down to the bumper. It'll be interesting to see if anyone comes up with a picture to show how they really did it.

Steve

joedls

rvrtrash said:
It'll be interesting to see if anyone comes up with a picture to show how they really did it.

Steve

I think the stripe on High Country Bob's car ends at the end caps. I couldn't quite tell from his gallery pics, but that's the way it looked to me.

gt bandit

Stripey

hey Steve ,

It does look a little busy with the 2 red stripes- I am really partial to mine , but then my GTCS striping is a little more obscure and the accent is silver.

still - its up to you :cool: :cool: :cool:

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 49
OP
OP
rvrtrash

rvrtrash

I think the key is, if your car colors make the pin stripe appear understated/subdued, it would work. Red on White is just too "in your face" to clutter it up to much.

Steve

P

PNewitt

Yikes Stripes!

The word is "garish", meaning "too much"....

Thinking it over, yes, I think you should pass on the accent stripe. It brings up a vision of a candy cane. Some colors just don't work in excess.

Again, if you consider the late 60's, and the things they did (see: "Austin Powers"), like flowered vinyl tops, and paisley designs, then red on white like that was really cool, daddy-o! < visions of bongo music and Dobie Gillis>

Dealers didn't care a whole lot about what went on what. Whatever it took to get cars off the lot.

It's not "bad" or anything...it just has to do with context. If you went with it, it's not like people on the streets will be screaming about it or anything...

It's your choice, and I'm sure by now you're totally confused, and we've beat this dead horse (no pun), and we're all red in the face, and it has a new accent now...and...and.....

Paul N. :)

Mustanglvr

If it originally came with the stripe, then I think it should be on the car if everything else on the car is the original color. I think its cool to have a car with its original color combinations and stripes. The red and white goes great together especially with the GT gas cap and centercaps along with the red GT/CS stripe and pin stripe. Its very vintage that way.