CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 11/02/2006, 12:18 PM   #1
roadbum

If I could only have one hobby I'd choose my wife, she makes the others possible

Question hubcaps

two weeks ago I had never heard of a GT/CS,then fate intervened and I am doing my homework before spending my money. Looking at a Britainny blue, #'s matching, as far as I can tell, CS. I don,t know the vin it was to dark the first time I saw her, but she has all the right parts. The problem is the wheels are some kind of funky cragar knockoffs that even I know aren't right. The present owner has 4 regular mustang hubcaps that he is calling " the originals". Help me out , could they be right? Oh, thanks in advance for the help I hope to get and the help your site has given me already
roadbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/02/2006, 12:35 PM   #2
Midnight Special
My Car Details

Hubcaps... Do they look like this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	redHK.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	2935  

Tim
Midnight Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/02/2006, 12:43 PM   #3
somethingspecial

My Garage
The one Tim posted above is the standard hubcap, but if the car came with styled steel wheels, it would use the 7inch dog dish hubcaps. These may or may not have had the red GT emblems in the center. They should also be accompanied with beauty rings. Again, These were only on the Styled Steel Wheels. Any of them are correct for the car. Sorry no picture. Tim, Can you help out with a picture. Perhaps one from your Midnight Special. Mike

Mike Jewell
GT/CS Registrar
mikej@bigbytes.com
If at first you don't succeed, Parachuting is not for you!!!!
somethingspecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/02/2006, 01:16 PM   #4
roadbum

If I could only have one hobby I'd choose my wife, she makes the others possible

I think that might be it. I am going to see the car again on saturday and get the #s off it. I would be the thrid owner if I get it. The guy I am dealing with has had the car for 35 years. it has been repainted to the original color and has always been inside. This genleman is getting a little old and hasn't been in good health so the car does need some serious cleaning and a very few cosmetic fixes.he told me that the car had 7500 miles on it when he bought it and it now has 65000 on the meter. he wants a low teen figure for the car and if everything checks out it's mine. It is a 289, 3 speed.
Old 11/02/2006, 01:16 PM   #5
Midnight Special
My Car Details

////////////////////

///////////////////
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	re1e.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	2936   Click image for larger version

Name:	gtcse.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	2937  

Tim
Midnight Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/02/2006, 01:35 PM   #6
Mosesatm

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadbum
......it now has 65000 on the meter. he wants a low teen figure for the car and if everything checks out it's mine. It is a 289, 3 speed.
That's a good price!
Mosesatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/02/2006, 01:39 PM   #7
roadbum

Thanks guys, the gold one is it. Is there anything else I should know before I take a long walk in the moonlight with this lady.
Old 11/02/2006, 01:55 PM   #8
coloradoHCS
My Car Details

eBay: coniferhi

Does it have a Marti report or any original paperwork? See if it already resides in Paul's registry. Price sounds good if it is a true GT/CS, so try to verify.
Mark

1968 HCS 9350' ASL
coloradoHCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/02/2006, 01:59 PM   #9
Mosesatm

There are a number of things we could tell you to look for but you still wouldn't know for sure if the car is a true GT/CS.

The best and quickest way to verify that the car is a real GT/CS is to order a Marti report. The report is based on the VIN. They can fax it to you if you are in a rush. Costs around $20. Either Google "Marti Report" or there might be a link under "Resouces" on the left side of this screen.
Mosesatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/02/2006, 02:04 PM   #10
roadbum

It doesn't have a Marti report, I was going to go by the vin, but I will get one before I buy. Thanks,Ron
Old 11/02/2006, 02:34 PM   #11
Mustanglvr
My Car Details

Former GT/CS owner :(

Send a message via Yahoo to Mustanglvr
My Garage
Yes, get a Marti report. There have been many an old man who thought they had an original GT/CS and turned out to be a clone, even if he bought it 35 years ago. You can still give us the vin mumber and data plate code numbers and we can decode it for you. It will tell you what the original colors are and the DSO, etc.
If the vin is in the registry book, that many of our members own, it would give a good sign that it is a GT/CS. But to be absolutely certain, the Marti report will tell.

RHONDA
GT/CS FOREVER!
Mustanglvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/02/2006, 03:32 PM   #12
roadbum

Thanks Rhonda, I'll do that. Oh by the way, Only been in Alabama for two years, I'm an ex wisconsinite,a.
Ron
Old 11/02/2006, 05:38 PM   #13
Mustanglvr
My Car Details

Former GT/CS owner :(

Send a message via Yahoo to Mustanglvr
My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadbum
Oh by the way, Only been in Alabama for two years, I'm an ex wisconsinite,a.
Ron
Wow, thats great Ron! Its great to have you here on the site, dont ya know. I bet you`re not missing any of the weather up here, a?

RHONDA
GT/CS FOREVER!
Mustanglvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/02/2006, 06:26 PM   #14
mmarsalone

The hubcaps pictured above on the Gold car and the attachment are the Deluxe hubcaps. If they are the originals, your Marti report will say Deluxe hubcaps. The standard caps were a little more plain without the red center.

Previously Monkey Golf

MIKE
mmarsalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/02/2006, 06:58 PM   #15
roadbum

Not missing that weather a bit y'all. And thanks to everyone for your interest and help

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions