CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 09/23/2006, 03:37 PM   #1
classicsguy

Opinion on color change: From Candyapple red to Royal Maroon

I think I am one of the few persons that do not like Red color(Its too common)
My GT/CS is a factory Candyapple red car and since the car needs a repaint I am thinking of changing it to Royal Maroon which is my favorite color for this year Mustangs. The interior is Parchment and I believe that Royal Maroon with parchment interior is a killer combo.
The problem is that I am a purist and would like to keep the car original. I know that if you change the color of a Mustang with one thats available for the same model and year the value its not affected that much. I will not enter the car in Concours competition because here where I live there are none.
I would like to know your opinions of this color change from members of this forum. Thanks for your replies!!!
classicsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/23/2006, 03:42 PM   #2
Mustanglvr
My Car Details

Former GT/CS owner :(

Send a message via Yahoo to Mustanglvr
My Garage
I say, do what you want, it can always be changed back. The only thing is, that when you tell people that you changed it from candy apple red to royal maroon, they might find that a little strange. I love both colors and would`nt mind having a common color CS.

RHONDA
GT/CS FOREVER!
Mustanglvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/23/2006, 03:44 PM   #3
390cs68rcode
My Car Details

Have you driven your CS or Cobra Jet today?

eBay: jbsteven1

My Garage
Royal Maroon on a CS looks great, especially with a white vinyl top. do it!

2005 Ford GT (2000hp)226.2 mph in the standing mile, 2008 Superleggera UGR X Version (2000+hp),2014 S63, 89 IROC 30k miles, 150 shot NOS
390cs68rcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/23/2006, 07:24 PM   #4
6t8-390gt

Keep it original! With the Marti report being available it's not like you can fool; anyone. When I look at a color change car I subtract the cost of a paint job right off the top. As you know today that can be thousands of dollars. Then again I'm a purist.

68 S code GT Fastback, 68 J code GT Conv., 68 1/2 R code GT Coupe

6t8-390gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/23/2006, 08:36 PM   #5
GTCSMustang

It's probably a mistake if you ever intend to sell it.

68.5 Blck Mustang CJ Cnvrt, 68 Lme Gld GT/CS, 68 Rd HCS (fact 428), 68 Ac Bl Mustang GT Cnvrt, 68 Ylw GT500KR Cnvrt, 68 Hlnd Grn GT500KR Cnvrt, 68 Gld G.T. 500 Cnvrt, 68 Ryl Maroon Mustang Sprint Cpe, 68.5 Hlnd Grn Fstbck, 68.5 Ylw Mustang Fstbck. Visit my website www.scottfullerreproductions.com .
GTCSMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/23/2006, 09:33 PM   #6
PNewitt

Of course, I'm "biased". But....my CS is royal maroon, and it is the same color that was used on the Cougar and Lincoln cars at that time; so, it's in the luxury color palatte.

Maroon (I feel) has a deeper look to it, and when waxed, on a fall day, you can see the reflections of the trees, etc., much deeper. With white stripes, the contrast is there, but not as sharp as candy apple red.

As for concours, I tell people that if you go to a show about 1-20 times a year, then the other 345 days, it's all yours. There is the purist perception, and then there's your personal choice. I'd have to check, but having the "wrong" color on a car is about 5 points off; something that you can make up somewhere else in points.

I think that "life is too short" to worry about too much purity in what you own. If it makes you happy, then go for it. I wouldn't worry about "pleasing" some potential buyer. That is giving in to what someone else would want, and you've denied yourself the enjoyment of the way you would like it.

These cars will be around for a long time, and change hands more than once, so "concours correct" may happen later, rather than sooner. At least you're preserving the car, regardless of it's color.

Just my two bits.

Paul N.
Old 09/24/2006, 11:24 AM   #7
p51
My Car Details

Carpe Diem

Personally I like CandyApple Red and Maroon about the same. Having said that my suggestion is to change it to the color that you like especially if you like Maroon a lot more and intend on keeping the car for a long time. If you keep it long enough then you will *eventually* have another chance to paint it. On the other hand if you've got the idea of selling it soon and its all numbers matching, big block, original equip, etc then stick w/CandyApple. Either way remember this is a ~$20K car (unless its big block). Think of it as repainting a Camry - what would you decision be this case?

The world stands aside to let anyone pass who knows where he is going.
p51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/24/2006, 04:17 PM   #8
rvrtrash

So many cars, so little time!

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by p51
Think of it as repainting a Camry - what would you decision be this case?
Now that is just plain wrong!

Steve

The wannabe formerly known as an owner.
rvrtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/24/2006, 10:19 PM   #9
gt bandit
My Car Details

Down Under Thunder

i agree with above - can we fine this member for breathing the C word in the same thread as a special !!!!

seize the day - hell seize his posting privilege's !!!

an anonymous Toyota terrorist

disclaimer - haven't got one whoops!!! :}

68 J/R code special - 2007 Turbo Territory - Mercedes CLK 2008
gt bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/25/2006, 12:04 AM   #10
p51
My Car Details

Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt bandit
i agree with above - can we fine this member for breathing the C word in the same thread as a special !!!!

seize the day - hell seize his posting privilege's !!!

an anonymous Toyota terrorist

disclaimer - haven't got one whoops!!! :}
I feel so ashamed of myself.

I havent the faintest idea what I was thinking... umm... actually I was, uh.... drunk, yeah! that's it!... drunk when I sent that post. Hey, at least I didnt say "Chevy" or "Camaro"...
... doh!

Re: seize the day - hell seize his posting privilege's !!!
BTW: Always thought it meant "Fish of the Day".

The world stands aside to let anyone pass who knows where he is going.
p51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/25/2006, 08:21 AM   #11
Mustanger

Wink

If you decide to keep the car, then make it how you like it ... if keeping it the original color is okay for you, then cool, keep it, if not, then do what makes you happy (at least try and paint it a color that was an available 1968 Ford GTCS Mustang color) ...

... 'just one car guy's $.02 ...

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/25/2006, 07:34 PM   #12
rvrtrash

So many cars, so little time!

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by p51
I feel so ashamed of myself.

I havent the faintest idea what I was thinking.:
We'll let it slide this time but we're keeping an eye on you now.

Steve

Hey I just realized I'm over 1,000. That used to be "guru" status
a long time ago.

The wannabe formerly known as an owner.
rvrtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/26/2006, 12:37 AM   #13
gt bandit
My Car Details

Down Under Thunder

off topic - may offend

51 - I am glad you recognize the error of your ways - to many beers with that Fish at dinner I guess !!

Trash - Guru status is a mighty feat , i think you need to be awarded a special medal or something - what about a talking fish or my favourite the boonie
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Talking-Booni...QQcmdZViewItem

68 J/R code special - 2007 Turbo Territory - Mercedes CLK 2008
gt bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/27/2006, 02:47 PM   #14
Perkchiro
My Car Details

eBay: Perkchiro

As one who has violated the "purists code of conduct", let me say thanks to Paul for his words. As some have discussed here in the past, color changes are taboo with many. You know, my wife changes her hair style and color from time to time and guess what, I like the variety and I love her just the same. A GT/CS is still a GT/CS, even if the color's been changed. Do as you please and make yourself happy. I'm pleased with my color change and I love it.

Steve in Missouri
Perkchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2006, 07:13 AM   #15
DAR1
My Car Details

As an added irony, The car I used for my Little Red tribute was maroon with a black vinyl top. The suspension had already been modified and it sat just like so on it's wheels. It had a blank grill like a CS with no fog lights. It really looked pretty good IMO. Of course now it is bright candyapple red. If your car is not rare(all CS's are somewhat rare) and you like maroon better - why not. Just break out the check book for a quality job. You will be disappointed with anything less.
//Dan
DAR1 is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions