• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Stripe Installation

Mosesatm

Here is the stripe installation portion of the August 2006 edition of "Auto Restorer", by Larry Lyles.

It's too late for some of you but hopefully it will help others.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

On page 9 of this article is the paragraph, "Next on the list is the grille. The grille for Project Mustang needs to be painted semi-gloss black."

Aaaarrrrrgggghhhhh!!!!!!

OK, I fell better now. I also sent the editor a polite e-mail detailing this error.

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Here is the email thread, read bottom to top. Note the reference to a book he's writing about the restoration.

Hi Arlie,
Thanks, I'll post this in an upcoming Questions segment and make the change to the text for the upcoming book on Project Mustang.
I had a NOS grille for a '68 and decided the color was semi gloss black. I guess over almost 40 years the color had bleached out.
Larry

Hi Larry,
Poly Charcoal is the correct color for the grille, foglight post, and bottom panel. It's Ditzler 32930.

I find it easier to use the 65-67 styled steel wheel paint (same color),
in spray cans, supplied by any of the Mustang supply houses.

Here is the page from John's Mustangs
65-67 C5ZR-SSWP-A Correct Charcoal Metallic Color ea. $9.95
http://johnsmustang.com/Parts/details-5608.html

Please let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Arlie Moses

Hi Arlie,
Thanks for the info on the grille color. Do you know of a source for the color code on the grille? The only one my listing provides is a poly charcoal and I'm pretty sure the color is not metallic (poly).
Larry