CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 07/05/2006, 01:13 PM   #1
19HCS68

FORD, the heartbreak of today's Chevrolet.

2007 GT/CS Mustang

I saw my first '07 GT/CS today in Lakewood, CO. My first impression was, "I hate that hood scoop!". My next impression was, "They want $1800 + for this GT/CS option?!?!?". I guess the side scoops, hood scoop and GT/CS decal makes up $1800+ added price for this car. I myself was NOT IMPRESSED at all!!! I would save my money and get a plain GT model and dress it up better myself, or get a Rouch GT. Ford had a great idea doing the Mustang retro, love that look. But, after seeing the new GT/CS and the Shelby versions, I'm sorely dissapointed. I'll keep my '68 HCS and make the new GT/CS owners jealous. Just my not so humble opinion.

Gary
19HCS68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/2006, 01:47 PM   #2
PNewitt

Actually, for the $1,800, you get the side stripes, side scoops, custom front fascia, (also used on the Hertz Shelby), a GT wing, and rear fascia, which has a dark grey bottom, with little verticle fins, and the dual exhaust (a ground FX). You also get the "GT California Special" faux gas cap emblem.

One showed up for sale at Harrold Ford in Sacto on Monday. Redfire with black stripes. It sold the next day. I didn't even get time to photograph it!

These will sell! People will love them, too.

I don't mean to take away from the '68 loyalty and enthusiasm, but the new car will have a great effect on the old ones; in terms of values and awareness. Ya can't knock that!

Ford dealers can't get enough of these!

Paul.
Old 07/05/2006, 02:58 PM   #3
PFSlim
My Car Details

eBay: calspec68

My Garage
It is weird to see them showing up on Ebay. Has any of the members bought one yet??

Paul

GT/CS sold to "PonyGal" for trip back home to California
1965 AC Cobra Replica - 390FE - Black on Black charcoal stripes - "The Black Pearl"
PFSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/2006, 02:59 PM   #4
Mosesatm

The first one on eBay sold for $5,200 over MSRP
Mosesatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/2006, 03:29 PM   #5
masonraceworks
My Car Details

Send a message via Yahoo to masonraceworks
I ordered one on the 6th of June. Hopefully it will show up by the end of August. I can't wait to drive it.

Mark
masonraceworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/2006, 05:27 PM   #6
MoonHawk
My Car Details

Wicked 07

Send a message via Yahoo to MoonHawk
Bought mine off the lot 2 weeks ago tomorrow. It was in the showroom at Graham Ford here in Columbus, loaded with all the fun options. While I love the older models (owned a 1964.5 many years ago), I adore my new one. No regrets on the price, for me, just as a Mustang lover, it was well worth it.
MoonHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/06/2006, 07:08 AM   #7
PFSlim
My Car Details

eBay: calspec68

My Garage
Have you guys posted pictures of your new GT/CS's on this site??

Paul

GT/CS sold to "PonyGal" for trip back home to California
1965 AC Cobra Replica - 390FE - Black on Black charcoal stripes - "The Black Pearl"
PFSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/06/2006, 07:33 AM   #8
MoonHawk
My Car Details

Wicked 07

Yes, they are in my gallery.
Old 07/06/2006, 07:43 AM   #9
Mustanger

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonHawk
Yes, they are in my gallery.
Nice car, and also in black ... cool. You mentioned that you want to remove the decal stripes and paint the striping in a silver color. Do the pic's in your gallery show your car with the decals, or are they already removed ? If not, you're right, it is hard to see the striping ...

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/06/2006, 09:12 AM   #10
MoonHawk
My Car Details

Wicked 07

The stripes are there. On black they are hard to see, let alone photograph. I was going to get some better pictures this past weekend, but got caught up in family get togethers. It is definitely on the list for this week (newer, better pictures).

Thanks for the compliment by the way! I as well like the black the best, however saw a red one the other day posted on a site, it is pretty sharp as well.
Old 07/06/2006, 03:00 PM   #11
PNewitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonHawk
The stripes are there. On black they are hard to see, let alone photograph.
Instead of having them painted on, I'm sure that a (Ford Licensed) company like (I think it's) "Graphic Express" that makes lots of Mustang stripe kits--will make the new GT/CS Stripe in other colors. I actually can't believe that Ford would make black on black stripes.

I would choose the darker gunmetal color of part of your interior for the stripe material color. You could use white, but you're right--it is kinda stark looking.

You might consider having a local vinyl sign co. make a new set. But you'll have to do something like a pencil rubbing of the stripe--especially the "GT/CS" font within the stripe, as a one-off for your car (not to sell). You'll need the thickness (width) and spacing of the stripes, too.

Take the paper rubbing to the vinyl co., and they might be able to scan it, and make something workable.

Just some ideas.

Paul.
Old 07/06/2006, 03:49 PM   #12
Mustanger

Cool

... yeah, white maybe a sharp contrast but that's what Ford and Shelby did back in '68 ... but if you can pick, silver or pewter could look pretty cool ...

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/06/2006, 05:18 PM   #13
MoonHawk
My Car Details

Wicked 07

This is actually a really good idea. I work for a company that does exterior vinyl window graphics....I never even thought of that! My only concern though is that most of it is PSV (Pressure Sensitive Vinyl), and it may not hold up as well as a stripe kit made specifically for cars. Definitely something to check into though.

It's not really a black on black...it's more of a ghost gray. In person it's really sharp looking but trying to photograph it is difficult.

Thanks for the ideas!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNewitt
Instead of having them painted on, I'm sure that a (Ford Licensed) company like (I think it's) "Graphic Express" that makes lots of Mustang stripe kits--will make the new GT/CS Stripe in other colors. I actually can't believe that Ford would make black on black stripes.

I would choose the darker gunmetal color of part of your interior for the stripe material color. You could use white, but you're right--it is kinda stark looking.

You might consider having a local vinyl sign co. make a new set. But you'll have to do something like a pencil rubbing of the stripe--especially the "GT/CS" font within the stripe, as a one-off for your car (not to sell). You'll need the thickness (width) and spacing of the stripes, too.

Take the paper rubbing to the vinyl co., and they might be able to scan it, and make something workable.

Just some ideas.

Paul.
Old 07/06/2006, 05:21 PM   #14
MoonHawk
My Car Details

Wicked 07

True, the color contrast is what set the Mustang apart from the rest. To stay true to that original idea, white might be the better choice....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustanger
... yeah, white maybe a sharp contrast but that's what Ford and Shelby did back in '68 ... but if you can pick, silver or pewter could look pretty cool ...
Old 07/06/2006, 09:35 PM   #15
PNewitt

This might be a little too "custom", but you could make the center section of the stripe in white, and the two smaller stripes (top and bottom) in pewter.

That would kind of like the two-tone stripe that had on the Green Hornet (which was white and gold).

All you need to ask the vinyl co., is if they make (or have in stock) the automotive stripe quality material (by, I think, 3M).

As a rule of thumb, most stripes on the Mustangs were based on the interior colors, although there are some exceptions.

In any case--whatever you do, it will be very classy!

You also might consider getting the (07) Shelby spoiler for your CS. You can get them (unpainted) through your Ford dealer.

When it's all done, you'll have something to compete with the new Hertz Mustang!

Paul.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stripe.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	2152  

Last edited by PNewitt; 07/07/2006 at 01:50 AM..

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions