CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 04/05/2006, 09:49 AM   #1
68 special

8R01T149485

My Garage
manual to power steering swap

I know that if you already have power steering, you can buy an adapter to make it manual, but to change to power can you just add the cylinder, control valve, pump, steering box, etc. to the existing tie rods, drag link or is a complete swap in order. Is it more trouble than it's worth?

Bret
68 special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/05/2006, 09:58 AM   #2
dbeal

Send a message via AIM to dbeal Send a message via Yahoo to dbeal
Well my car was originally a power steering car that was converted to manual when I got it. I put it back to power steering. Luckily it still had the power steering box. I purchased the whole power steering assembly for 200 used. I rebuilt everything. All said and done so far i guess I am into the power steering about 400 or so. that being said.. I haven't tried it yet..so hopefully there will be no leaks.
dbeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/05/2006, 11:41 AM   #3
PFSlim
My Car Details

eBay: calspec68

My Garage
Oh boy, don't get me started!!! You can see another post where I was frustrated with my power steering. My car was originally manufactured with Manual Steering. Sometime in it's life, someone added power steering.

Last year, when we were ready to finish up our restoration, we sent the control valve and cylinder to TX to get rebuilt. It came back and looked like a success. Our pump, however, needed rebuilt but worked, so we went on with it thinking we would pull it again at first opportunity. Our pump leaked all last year, but nothing else really did.

This winter, we pulled the pump and had it rebuilt. It worked great. No leaks after install and it seemed like we were good to go. Then, a pump hose started leaking at World of Wheels. Since then, something else has happened and the pump is making another noise. Therefore, we have decided that we would go back to original and go to manual steering.

To answer your initial question. Yes. I think you need to have the correct power steering brackets but I think you should be able to make the car power steering with all the right stuff you mentioned above.

I will prob sell all of my power steering stuff once we remove it. It is my opinion (and only my opinion) that you can't keep these things from leaking and I don't believe the car drives any better (if not worse) with power steering on it. Once again, that is just my opinion. I look forward to getting mine switched back and removing the power steering to get rid of the leak. Because without the power steering, my car does not drip a drop for rear end, transmission or motor.

Paul

GT/CS sold to "PonyGal" for trip back home to California
1965 AC Cobra Replica - 390FE - Black on Black charcoal stripes - "The Black Pearl"
PFSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/05/2006, 01:07 PM   #4
luisa2552

He bought it, look who got it!

There is a thread on this somewhere a while back. It really made me think hard about adding power steering. When I got my car it had a small steering wheel on it which made it even harder to steer. I decided before I added power I would try it with a larger, factory steering wheel (thanks Arlie). The difference is night and day. No way I'm switching to power and having the added headaches of leaks. JMO

Sara
Highland Green GT/CS
luisa2552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/06/2006, 08:48 AM   #5
BroadwayBlue
My Car Details

Send a message via AIM to BroadwayBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisa2552
There is a thread on this somewhere a while back. It really made me think hard about adding power steering. When I got my car it had a small steering wheel on it which made it even harder to steer. I decided before I added power I would try it with a larger, factory steering wheel (thanks Arlie). The difference is night and day. No way I'm switching to power and having the added headaches of leaks. JMO
Hey Sara,
I was considering going to a smaller wheel with my manual CS. Do you think it's better with the factory wheel ?

If you think it's much better with the factory wheel I may just leave it as is for now.

Rich

1968 Acapulco Blue GT/CS 289 * 1996 Red GT Convertible *
BroadwayBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/06/2006, 09:03 AM   #6
PFSlim
My Car Details

My Garage
Rich

Can you provide me with a motor picture of your car without power steering? Or, do you have one in the gallery??

Paul

1965 AC Cobra Replica - 390FE - Black on Black charcoal stripes - "The Black Pearl"
Old 04/06/2006, 02:24 PM   #7
BroadwayBlue
My Car Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFSlim
Rich

Can you provide me with a motor picture of your car without power steering? Or, do you have one in the gallery??

Paul
I just checked - I don't have any on my work laptop - I have some at home - I'll post them later - no problem.

Rich

Old 04/06/2006, 02:36 PM   #8
PFSlim
My Car Details

My Garage
Rich

As you know, I am taking off the power steering this weekend. Could use a view down where power steering is suppose to hook up and include the fan. Need to figure out how to get rid of extra pulley. Maybe it will be obvious.

Thanks.

Paul

Old 04/07/2006, 09:39 PM   #9
BroadwayBlue
My Car Details

Quote:
Rich

As you know, I am taking off the power steering this weekend. Could use a view down where power steering is suppose to hook up and include the fan. Need to figure out how to get rid of extra pulley. Maybe it will be obvious.

Thanks.

Paul
Paul,
Somewhere I lost some pics of my car. I think possibly when my hard drive crashed at work. I went to take some pics tonight but the digital's batteries were dead (go figure). Charging them tonight and will try to get something posted for you tomorrow - need to take my daughter someplace in the morning so hoping to get them posted prior to that.
I'll post them ASAP.
Sorry about that.
Rich

Rich

Old 04/07/2006, 09:49 PM   #10
luisa2552

Hi Rich,
It is SO much better with the factory wheel. I don't know the size of the one that was on it, but it was very small. I had such a hard time steering the car which is why I wanted power steering. But with the factory wheel, it's like having power steering compared to the other wheel. The only problem is it's a little awkward using the clutch. Part of the problem is the new seat foam. I'm riding up too high. I might have to have some foam taken off but I'm waiting to see if it'll settle a bit before I have that done.
Definately stick with the factory wheel.

Sara
Highland Green GT/CS
Old 04/07/2006, 10:10 PM   #11
BroadwayBlue
My Car Details

Thanks for the info Sara!!

Aside from parking I don't mind the manual steering to tell you the truth.

Rich

Old 04/07/2006, 11:12 PM   #12
luisa2552

Oh yeah, parallel parking is still out of the question!

Sara
Highland Green GT/CS
Old 04/08/2006, 07:09 AM   #13
Mustanglvr
My Car Details

Former GT/CS owner :(

Send a message via Yahoo to Mustanglvr
My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisa2552
Oh yeah, parallel parking is still out of the question!
I totally agree with that!

RHONDA
GT/CS FOREVER!
Mustanglvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/08/2006, 01:54 PM   #14
BroadwayBlue
My Car Details

Quote:
Rich

Thanks.

Paul
Hi Paul,
Here are a few shots I took today. Sorry I didn't get them posted earlier but it was a crazy morning.

Let me know if these work for you or if you need a different view.
If you need another shot - just explain exactly where and I'll do my best. Or post or send me a pic of the area on your car.

I made these as big as I could and still post them. I have the larger versions on my hard drive if you need them. I can email them to you if that will work or maybe I can post larger sizes in the gallery - not sure.

Good Luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	engine 1.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	1559   Click image for larger version

Name:	engine 2.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	1560   Click image for larger version

Name:	engine 3.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	1561  

Name:	engine 4.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	1562   Click image for larger version

Name:	engine 5.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	1563   Click image for larger version

Name:	engine 6.jpg
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	1564  

Name:	engine 7.jpg
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	1565   Click image for larger version

Name:	engine 8.jpg
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	1566  

Rich

Old 04/10/2006, 07:11 AM   #15
PFSlim
My Car Details

My Garage
Thanks Rich, those are great. I did swap from power steering to manual steering this weekend by using the manual steering adapter. Don't know that I am all the way done because I would think I would need to do something with the pulley's from the front of the car. Does anyone know (for a manual steering - no A/C) if there are still two pulley's up front??

Paul

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions