CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 03/31/2006, 12:18 PM   #1
PFSlim
My Car Details
 
PFSlim's Avatar
 

Location: Weatherby Lake, MO
Joined: Feb 04
eBay: calspec68
Posts: 1,546

My Garage
Power Steering Frustration

When we completed our restoration last year, we installed power steering in our car because all of the componets where there and it seemed like the right thing to do.

All last year we fought a leaking power steering pump, mainly because we didn't to much to it when we installed it. We always knew we would pull it back off and rebuild the pump.

We did that this year. Pump was rebuilt by a guy we think we can trust and we put it back into the car. Now, the bottom pump hose or the pump itself is leaking (that is the frustrating part) and is starting to make a noise when turned at sharp turns. Two nights ago, I once again put the heavy on the clamp on the bottom hose and refilled the pump. It has not leaked that much but is still making the screeeech sound when turning sharp.

Anyone got any ideas? Does everyone's leak? Last year, mine only made a noise when it was low on fluid. Could it be a problem in the pump??

Interested in your thoughts.

Paul

GT/CS sold to "PonyGal" for trip back home to California
1965 AC Cobra Replica - 390FE - Black on Black charcoal stripes - "The Black Pearl"
PFSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/31/2006, 12:49 PM   #2
CJ
 
CJ's Avatar
 
Another Car Show Winner for 2009

Joined: Sep 03
Posts: 157

Paul; Just a few ideas.....


Buzzing noises are usually caused by a bad control valve in the pump. Replacing the valve may be all that's necessary to eliminate the problem. But if the pump itself is whining, the pump shaft bearings are shot and it's time to replace the pump.

Groaning noises can be caused by restrictions, low fluid level or air in the system.

Rattling usually indicates mechanical vibration. Check the pump mounting brackets on the engine, and for contact between the pressure hose and the chassis or other parts.

A growl may be the result of a restriction in the steering gear or hose, or the result of pump cam ring wear or a scarred pump pressure plate, thrust plate
or rotor.


Good Luck

CJ

CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/31/2006, 02:32 PM   #3
Redwingrobb
 

Joined: Jan 06
Posts: 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ
Paul; Just a few ideas.....


Buzzing noises are usually caused by a bad control valve in the pump. Replacing the valve may be all that's necessary to eliminate the problem. But if the pump itself is whining, the pump shaft bearings are shot and it's time to replace the pump.

Groaning noises can be caused by restrictions, low fluid level or air in the system.

Rattling usually indicates mechanical vibration. Check the pump mounting brackets on the engine, and for contact between the pressure hose and the chassis or other parts.

A growl may be the result of a restriction in the steering gear or hose, or the result of pump cam ring wear or a scarred pump pressure plate, thrust plate
or rotor.


Good Luck

CJ
I've got a problem with my power steering also. If I am to understand you correctly, if I turn my wheel and the car (front end) vibrates, it is how the pump is mounted? The previous owner of the car got frustrated with it and took off the pump, but decided to put the pump back on just prior to selling it to me...Robb


Wimbledon White GT/CS and 1968 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible
Redwingrobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/31/2006, 03:21 PM   #4
PFSlim
My Car Details
 
PFSlim's Avatar
 

Location: Weatherby Lake, MO
Joined: Feb 04
eBay: calspec68
Posts: 1,546

My Garage
Robb

No. My pump (I am assuming it is my pump) squeals like mad when I turn left or right. Just like it would do it it didn't have any power steering fluid in it.

I have a deal with myself that if I can't figure out how to make this thing work and not leak all the time, I am going to try to switch everything to manual steering.

Paul

GT/CS sold to "PonyGal" for trip back home to California
1965 AC Cobra Replica - 390FE - Black on Black charcoal stripes - "The Black Pearl"
PFSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/31/2006, 06:40 PM   #5
harryz
 

Joined: Jul 05
Posts: 52

Squealing power steering

Try checking the drive belt for the power steering. It will squeal if it's too loose and you turn the wheel.

Just my $.02. Good luck!

Harry Z.

Harry Zisko
\'68 GT/CS
harryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/31/2006, 06:42 PM   #6
nfrntau
My Car Details
 
nfrntau's Avatar
 

Location: Kingwood, Texas
Joined: Aug 04
Posts: 1,017

My Garage
This may sound stupid but I'll throw it out there anyway. Is it possible you got one or two drops of fluid on the belt? When the pump gets to the point it's really working hard the belt slips just enouph to screech? Try rubbing a little bees wax on the belt and see if it stops or quiets down a touch. If the sound changes you will have the culprit.

You may make it without friends; but with them, you can do anything.
nfrntau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/31/2006, 08:19 PM   #7
390cs68rcode
My Car Details
 
390cs68rcode's Avatar
 
Have you driven your CS or Cobra Jet today?

Location: Houston Texas
Joined: Dec 04
eBay: jbsteven1
Posts: 2,864

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFSlim
Robb

No. My pump (I am assuming it is my pump) squeals like mad when I turn left or right. Just like it would do it it didn't have any power steering fluid in it.

I have a deal with myself that if I can't figure out how to make this thing work and not leak all the time, I am going to try to switch everything to manual steering.

Paul
the second new pump I put on mine squeals only when it is turned to one side all the way. I was waaaay too frsutrated after replacing it 2 times in one day to do it a third time. I will just deal with it until I feel like taking it apart again to get another new one. All were rebuilt Ford pumps.

2005 Ford GT (2000hp)226.2 mph in the standing mile, 2008 Superleggera UGR X Version (2000+hp),2014 S63, 89 IROC 30k miles, 150 shot NOS
390cs68rcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/31/2006, 11:58 PM   #8
hicountrybob
 

Location: Arvada, CO
Joined: Feb 03
Posts: 579

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFSlim
When we completed our restoration last year, we installed power steering in our car because all of the componets where there and it seemed like the right thing to do.

All last year we fought a leaking power steering pump, mainly because we didn't to much to it when we installed it. We always knew we would pull it back off and rebuild the pump.

We did that this year. Pump was rebuilt by a guy we think we can trust and we put it back into the car. Now, the bottom pump hose or the pump itself is leaking (that is the frustrating part) and is starting to make a noise when turned at sharp turns. Two nights ago, I once again put the heavy on the clamp on the bottom hose and refilled the pump. It has not leaked that much but is still making the screeeech sound when turning sharp.

Anyone got any ideas? Does everyone's leak? Last year, mine only made a noise when it was low on fluid. Could it be a problem in the pump??

Interested in your thoughts.

Paul
Here in FORD COUNTRY, they say "if it doesn't leak, it's empty".
hicountrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/01/2006, 01:16 AM   #9
rvrtrash
 
rvrtrash's Avatar
 
So many cars, so little time!

Location: Post Falls, Id.
Joined: Apr 03
Posts: 3,445

My Garage
Mine doesn't leak-yet. Before you decide to go to manual steering, consider the Granada components. All the hoses have o-rings on them to help prevent leaks.
Steve
rvrtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/03/2006, 10:12 AM   #10
PFSlim
My Car Details
 
PFSlim's Avatar
 

Location: Weatherby Lake, MO
Joined: Feb 04
eBay: calspec68
Posts: 1,546

My Garage
I appreciate everyone's feedback. Here is the direction we have decided to go.

I am ordering a manual steering adapter from VA Mustangs. It will go in to replace the control valve. Once installed, you remove all other power steering parts.

We made this decision for two reasons. First and foremost, I am tired of working on the power steering and want something more reliable and that does not create a mess in my garage. Second, our car (according to Marti) is one of two manufactured and ordered by the same dealership. This is mainly driven by the fact that is was a manual steering car. So, our car will better match our Marti report.

Paul

GT/CS sold to "PonyGal" for trip back home to California
1965 AC Cobra Replica - 390FE - Black on Black charcoal stripes - "The Black Pearl"
PFSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Power steering set-up for headers or hipo Jayscal GT/CS and HCS Discussions 9 01/22/2013 09:35 PM
Power steering pump rear bracket needed! somethingspecial GT/CS and HCS Discussions 2 02/14/2006 09:37 AM
Power Steering Problem gunzpilot GT/CS and HCS Discussions 7 12/06/2004 09:23 AM
Color of power steering pump PB gtcs GT/CS and HCS Discussions 4 07/20/2004 04:02 AM
power steering pulley GT/CS and HCS Discussions 1 01/04/2003 01:58 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.


This site created, owned and maintained by Jon Hanna - Copyright 1996-2011
All rights reserved. CaliforniaSpecial.com is not affiliated with Ford Motor Company

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.