CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 02/19/2006, 01:07 PM   #1
68MustangHCS
My Car Details

Thumbs up Have you noticed a trend on eBay?

I've been watching the GT/CS cars selling on eBay for the last 4 years and remember when you'd find a couple of them listed each month on average. Now it seems to be 3 to 4 listed every two weeks. They are coming out of the woodwork now. I see a lot of recreations listed too. In particular did anyone notice the one that sold last week with a buy it now for 23.5K? I tracked that car last July and it opened with starting bid of $4995 and sold on regular auction for $11,499 with stock wheels and hubcaps. The winner of that auction put on a set of Magnum 500's with CS center caps and doubled his investment in 6 months of ownership. He started his opening bid at $100 on the car with a buy it now price of 23.5K. It ran for 3 days and someone did the buy it now option. This guy doubled his money....What a deal!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...spagenameZWDVW

I would say if your going to sell your GT/CS on eBay, put a realistic buy it now price, open it up with a low starting price, and if your running hubcaps, upgrade to some nice wheels and let it go. The ones that don't have a buy it now price, and not so dressy wheels, seem not to do as well. Any opinions on this?

LowCountrySteve in NC...
68' HCS, 289 2V, 3 spd, Black, Lime Green Metallic
68' HCS, 289 2V, 3 spd, Saddle, Meadowlark Yellow
68MustangHCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/19/2006, 04:31 PM   #2
390cs68rcode
My Car Details

Have you driven your CS or Cobra Jet today?

eBay: jbsteven1

My Garage
you can thank the auction in the desert for your observation.

2005 Ford GT (2000hp)226.2 mph in the standing mile, 2008 Superleggera UGR X Version (2000+hp),2014 S63, 89 IROC 30k miles, 150 shot NOS
390cs68rcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/19/2006, 05:05 PM   #3
68MustangHCS
My Car Details

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 390cs68rcode
you can thank the auction in the desert for your observation.
Lets get HC Bob to test the waters and put his 428 HCS on Barrett Jackson...bet he could probably retire off the proceeds and buy a 3 or 4 BOSS Mustangs ...or a couple Shelby's with it....? Don't you just love it!

I understand (9) 428 HCS mustangs are known to have been made. (3) exist in the registry, (1) in Colorado (Bob) the other two?? Anyone have an idea of the other (6) 428 HCS mustangs...????

LowCountrySteve in NC...
Old 02/19/2006, 08:35 PM   #4
hicountrybob

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68MustangHCS
Lets get HC Bob to test the waters and put his 428 HCS on Barrett Jackson...bet he could probably retire off the proceeds and buy a 3 or 4 BOSS Mustangs ...or a couple Shelby's with it....? Don't you just love it!

I understand (9) 428 HCS mustangs are known to have been made. (3) exist in the registry, (1) in Colorado (Bob) the other two?? Anyone have an idea of the other (6) 428 HCS mustangs...????
STEVE, yep. 9 produced, 3 missing, the six known (to me, anyway), are mine and #2 one other right here in the Denver area, # 3 in a small mountain town in the Western Slope area here in Co., # 4 in Western Wyo, # 5 in So. Dakata and lastly, #6 (last I heard) in the St. Paul area = 3 missing in action. Each of these 6 have interesting stories. For instance, the St. Paul CJ was found in a wrecking yard in Wyo., missing a bunch and a light rollover, was advertised in Hemming Motor News and found another new owner (attorney) in St. Paul. This new owner called me to register it. But low and behold, a year or two later, he called to sell it because he had already begun resto. on a CJ fastback and did not want to stop work on it and sell it but wanted to sell the CJ HCS instead, (I think he was into the HCS for $8000). Shortly after that a body shop called to inquire about decals and that was the last I heard about this car. Yeh, I could kick myself for not buying it then, not so much because of values NOW, but just the uniqueness of this car 'cause I knew then that R codes were rare in the HCS. FYI, This is the last R code that I've been called about(early '90's). For the 3 missing cars, it's anybody's GUESS as to the FATE of them. I would think that with all the attention nowadays in the rarity of some cars, the hobbyists interest in big block cars, the amount of apparent disposable income, the buyers who want and are able to purchase their dream machines in addition to OUR site here and the CJ site, that those OTHER MISSING 3 HCS R CODES, if they were still around, would have surfaced by now because-------------- I better quit now. But, hopefully, all 3 will show up one day SOON. P>S> My CJ also has quite an interesting background, also. Will share that, if you wish, at Knotts(or Sat evening) if I can get someone here to ride with me or tour with me. HC Bob here
hicountrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/20/2006, 01:35 PM   #5
68MustangHCS
My Car Details

Thanks Bob, I got my numbers reveresed. I'm not able to get to Knotts on the left coast. You coming out east to any of the Mustang shows?

LowCountrySteve in NC...
Old 02/20/2006, 02:01 PM   #6
Midnight Special
My Car Details

[QUOTE=68MustangHCS]I've been watching the GT/CS cars selling on eBay for the last 4 years and remember when you'd find a couple of them listed each month on average. Now it seems to be 3 to 4 listed every two weeks. They are coming out of the woodwork now. I see a lot of recreations listed too. In particular did anyone notice the one that sold last week with a buy it now for 23.5K? I tracked that car last July and it opened with starting bid of $4995 and sold on regular auction for $11,499 with stock wheels and hubcaps. The winner of that auction put on a set of Magnum 500's with CS center caps and doubled his investment in 6 months of ownership. He started his opening bid at $100 on the car with a buy it now price of 23.5K. It ran for 3 days and someone did the buy it now option. This guy doubled his money....What a deal!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...spagenameZWDVW

Bob I bought that car for the trends you describe and also for the integrity & history of the seller. I nearly bought a 1966 from him a few months ago and his long- standing track record has been excellent. I didn't track it back to July as you did, but I think alot more care went into it than new wheels and tires. Plus - you'll not find another $11K special as beautiful as this one! After considerable dialog, my wife and I flew to LAX and drove this car 470+ miles home yesterday averaging 65-75 mph, smooth as silk w/ no fluid consumption 'cept fuel. I believe our cars will continue to go up with their continued care, awareness and rarity. This website is also a big 'plus' to that end! Keep up the good work! :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IM002849.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	1254   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM002848.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	1255   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM002852.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	1256  

Name:	IM002863.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	1257   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM002860.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	1258  

Tim
Midnight Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/21/2006, 10:11 AM   #7
Mustanger

Thumbs up

Tim,

That's a beautiful car that you just acquired. I was looking at it for myself, when the auction was at $13k and 6 days left. I called the owner in El Segundo (LA, CA) and spoke to him about the car. Next day it was gone!! Oh well, I guess I'll keep looking ... it's getting hard to find affordable CS's these days.
Congrats on the car, you got a nice one!
Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/21/2006, 12:54 PM   #8
Midnight Special
My Car Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustanger
Tim,

That's a beautiful car that you just acquired. I was looking at it for myself, when the auction was at $13k and 6 days left. I called the owner in El Segundo (LA, CA) and spoke to him about the car. Next day it was gone!! Oh well, I guess I'll keep looking ... it's getting hard to find affordable CS's these days.
Congrats on the car, you got a nice one!
...Sorry 'bout that. I called him when it climbed past $19K & he said he was being innundated w/ calls and had scheduled for a person to see it in an hour from then. I knew that I would lose it if I waited, so I punched the 'go' button. At the same time, I knew there had to be others from this group who were bidding, so I hope I didn't offend anyone... However much of an investment they are - I am buying them to drive, show, maintain and improve immaculately as possible. You'll not see any of mine return to e-bay to make a quick buck. ...'Love them too much! I've noticed too (with some of the others) that they need to be driven! Some I've acquired tho immaculate have arrived w/ dry wheel seals, bearings, turpintine (old) fuel and leaky gaskets from too much time in the barn. For God's sake - Drive 'em!

Tim
Old 02/21/2006, 02:35 PM   #9
joedls
My Car Details

eBay: 65-4-me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Special
... For God's sake - Drive 'em!
Don't have to worry about that with me. I drive them. That's why I'm selling my Mach 1. I don't enjoy driving it the way I do my GT/CS or my convertible.

Joe

HP numbers are good and all, but they're like asking someone how much they can bench. What difference does it make, if I can still kick your ass.
joedls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/22/2006, 08:39 AM   #10
PFSlim
My Car Details

eBay: calspec68

My Garage
Those of us in the midwest have to wait, just a little bit longer!!! Gets alittle chilly and slick with snow on the roads.

Last week, I was in northern Iowa for some work. On Thurs, it snowed 12 inches and wind was blowing 30 mph. Woke up Friday morning to -12 temp, -40 windchill, and still 30 mph straight winds. Not a good day for a GT/CS.

Enjoy that California weather!!

Paul

GT/CS sold to "PonyGal" for trip back home to California
1965 AC Cobra Replica - 390FE - Black on Black charcoal stripes - "The Black Pearl"
PFSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/22/2006, 09:30 AM   #11
Midnight Special
My Car Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFSlim
Those of us in the midwest have to wait, just a little bit longer!!! Gets alittle chilly and slick with snow on the roads.

Last week, I was in northern Iowa for some work. On Thurs, it snowed 12 inches and wind was blowing 30 mph. Woke up Friday morning to -12 temp, -40 windchill, and still 30 mph straight winds. Not a good day for a GT/CS.

Enjoy that California weather!!

Paul
...Indeed I failed to check the national weather belore making that suggestion. We are lucky out here, tho did have around 5 inches of snow over the weekend. 'Melted away perty quick however... The snow we have here is known as 'Sierra Cement'. Wet, slushy, stays put as apposed to blowing away...

By the way - the T-shirt webpage is almost done! Still refining 'Gulfstream Aqua' before adding to the page.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	aquavnl.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	1304   Click image for larger version

Name:	aqua.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	1305  

Tim
Old 02/22/2006, 09:34 AM   #12
390cs68rcode
My Car Details

Have you driven your CS or Cobra Jet today?

eBay: jbsteven1

My Garage
first on the left is close enough to the color.

2005 Ford GT (2000hp)226.2 mph in the standing mile, 2008 Superleggera UGR X Version (2000+hp),2014 S63, 89 IROC 30k miles, 150 shot NOS
390cs68rcode is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions