• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Long Time GT/CS owner with ?

hookedtrout

Hi all, I've owned my GT/CS for around 20 years. It is an early Special with Marchal lights. The past 10 or so years it has been in storage and my kids are old enough now that I dare get it out and start a restoration. The car was registered with Paul the first time around and I have his first book.

On to my question. The one issue with the car was a replaced passenger rear quarter panel and they put the California Special emblems on wrong. They followed the Drivers side measurements which put the word California on top and forward and the word Special on bottom but closer to the rear of the car. What is the best source to find the correct measurements for proper location so I can get it corrected during my current restoration?

Is this included in Pauls 1996 book?

Cory Goulding

68sunlitgold

hookedtrout,
No the measurement are not in the '96 book, and unfortunately my CS is 1000 miles away from me. But I attached a pic of the correct placement and you may be able to get a good wag at it. And hopefully someone on the site can measrure their car and give it to you.
Doug

Attachments

• mus12.jpg
    mus12.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 15

Talan423

i have made you a template for the positioning of your emblems. i happened to have all of my emblems off, my car is getting ready for paint (still). all you will have to do is match the template to the holes for your rear side reflector, then tape the template to the quarter panel and mark your holes. if you send me your name and address i'll get it out to you this weekend. e-mail me.

Talan423@aol.com

good luck
tom

I have to admit, that leaving out a template for the rear script was intentional on my part for both books. I didn't want to "give away the farm", by including "everything".

If someone wanted to fake a CS, I didn't want to give out all the how-to's. I figured that if someone had a CS, they wouldn't need that--except for situations like this.

I have left out one more thing, so those who wish to "fake" a CS will miss this one, too....I'll never tell... :)

Glad to see folks in the Registry here on the site!

Good Luck with your restoration!

Paul.

Russ

One thing you might need an answer to is which type of rear side marker is on the car. It states the car is an early car, so I'm assuming it has the indented type of fender. I'm not sure, but I think the placement of the
"California Special" name may be a little bit different, based upon the holes for the side marker. Just a thought,
Russ

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

The marker is not recessed it sticks out from the body of the car. I will try to post a picture tonight from home if needed. Appreciate everyone's help.

Cory

[quote author=Russ link=board=1;threadid=304;start=0#msg1550 date=1050066609]
One thing you might need an answer to is which type of rear side marker is on the car. It states the car is an early car, so I'm assuming it has the indented type of fender. I'm not sure, but I think the placement of the
"California Special" name may be a little bit different, based upon the holes for the side marker. Just a thought,
Russ
[/quote]

I really think that once the jig (at the SJ factory) was made for punching out those holes on the rear quarters, they wouldn't change it for the new (Montego/Cougar, BTW) reflector.

I'm willing to bet that it's the same distance (on both versions) from the top body line of the rear quarter, to the top of the letter "C" in California; as well as from the edge where the end cap meets the rear quarter--to the left most edge of the same letter "C".

Maybe someone with either and both type reflectors could measure these points (with a sample pic with ruler marks as a standard?)

Paul.

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

Here is a picture of the mess they made. Thanks again for the help. I look forward to finishing the project and posting up some new pictures. It is going to be a slow project but it should be fun. I'm sure there will be more questions along the way. Chatting with other GT/CS owners is also going to be a lot of fun.

Cory

Attachments

• DCP_0485.JPG
    DCP_0485.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 12

rjw

Not only fun, but incredibly informative!
Richard

68sunlitgold

I found this picture of a CS with early rear markers in my archive of many CS pictures. I do not know if it was a authentic CS but if you look at the placement, it looks good.
Doug

PS the early markers where higher than the newer ones, that is why it looks closer to it, so I believe what Paul said that it was cut using the top and rear of the fender as references.

Attachments

• 1037341364665_MVC_92021F.jpg
    1037341364665_MVC_92021F.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 33
OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

That is a great comparison picture. I would have thought that a comment made earlier about the markers being in the same position would be correct so the quarter wouldn't have to be different.

Looks like any template I use will have to be from a non-recessed marker if the marker is used for a reference point.

Wish my paint looked that good ;).

Cory

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

Thanks a ton Tom I received the template and that will work great. Might be awhile before I get to that change but it's one less thing on my mind.

For now I'm battling with a carburetor. I put a kit in it yesterday and somewhere somehow I missed something or put something in wrong as she seems to be pumping gas right up out the little spouts on top. At least I get gas now so that's a start in the right direction. Guess it's unbolt and back to the instructions to see if I can catch what I missed. Been a lot of years since I did a carb kit. Wish me luck.

Thanks again, Cory

[quote author=Talan423 link=board=1;threadid=304;start=0#msg1548 date=1050020593]
i have made you a template for the positioning of your emblems. i happened to have all of my emblems off, my car is getting ready for paint (still). all you will have to do is match the template to the holes for your rear side reflector, then tape the template to the quarter panel and mark your holes. if you send me your name and address i'll get it out to you this weekend. e-mail me.

Talan423@aol.com

good luck
tom
[/quote]

mmillstx

[quote author=hookedtrout link=board=1;threadid=304;start=0#msg1590 date=1050583530]
Thanks a ton Tom I received the template and that will work great. Might be awhile before I get to that change but it's one less thing on my mind.

For now I'm battling with a carburetor. I put a kit in it yesterday and somewhere somehow I missed something or put something in wrong as she seems to be pumping gas right up out the little spouts on top. At least I get gas now so that's a start in the right direction. Guess it's unbolt and back to the instructions to see if I can catch what I missed. Been a lot of years since I did a carb kit. Wish me luck.

Thanks again, Cory

Cory,
I hope that this will help.
I had the same problem recently. I am nearly bald from pulling my hair out. No matter what I did after my rebuild, I still had gas coming out of the overflow tube. Heres what I finally found out after three months of rebuilds.......The newer style of needle valves are a different shape than the old or original ones. I went and got an o-ring kit and finally solved the problem by using the old needle valves( more of a round shape) and replacing the o-rings and soaking them in carb cleaner. Since then, she runs like a champ. Good luck.

mmillstx

[quote author=Talan423 link=board=1;threadid=304;start=0#msg1548 date=1050020593]

Talan423@aol.com

good luck
tom
[/quote]
[/quote]