CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 12/27/2005, 06:16 PM   #1
Mosesatm

Steering Wheels

I'm thinking about using a wood steering wheel on my car and am looking for any advice you are willing to offer. Anyone familiar with LeCarra Mark2 or Mark 3? What about Grant 719, 1170, or 1175?

Last edited by Mosesatm; 08/07/2006 at 10:07 AM..
Mosesatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/27/2005, 06:56 PM   #2
joedls
My Car Details

eBay: 65-4-me

I'm anxiuos to hear what you all have to say, as well. I don't like the Grant steering wheel I have in my GT/CS. It feels very cheap. I don''t know what model it is, but I know I don't like it. And I want to replace it. I like the looks of the LeCarra Mark 3, but have no experience with them.

Joe

HP numbers are good and all, but they're like asking someone how much they can bench. What difference does it make, if I can still kick your ass.
joedls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/27/2005, 07:23 PM   #3
Mosesatm

Joe in what way does it feel cheap. Does it bend or is it too thin?
Old 12/27/2005, 07:35 PM   #4
joedls
My Car Details

eBay: 65-4-me

For one, it feels very light. It also is not finished really well. It's kind of a rough finish. Also, the horn button keeps popping off.

Joe

HP numbers are good and all, but they're like asking someone how much they can bench. What difference does it make, if I can still kick your ass.
joedls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/27/2005, 07:58 PM   #5
hookedtrout

eBay: bebopin

Send a message via Yahoo to hookedtrout
My Garage
Appearance wise I don't like the Mark 2, it looks much to modern for the GTCS with the thick look. I like the look of the Mark 3 as well as several of the Grant wheels.

Cory

Cory
hookedtrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/28/2005, 09:04 AM   #6
coloradoHCS
My Car Details

eBay: coniferhi

Arlie, try Momo or Nardi for higher quality steering wheels. I looked at the 2 manufacturers you have listed and never liked the quality for my Sting Ray. Momo and Nardi both make high quality wheels that are in the $200-$300 range. I eventually went with a Factory optioned teak wheel for the period correct look. What were in the Shelby's of the 60's? That would look good. That aside both Momo and Nardi should give you the look and feel of a high quality & high performance wheel.
Mark.

1968 HCS 9350' ASL
coloradoHCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/28/2005, 10:12 AM   #7
PFSlim
My Car Details

eBay: calspec68

My Garage
Arlie

For what it is worth, I would find a Shelby steering wheel if I was not going back original.

Just for the heck of it, why wouldn't you go with the original 68 steering wheel? Just want something different??

Paul

GT/CS sold to "PonyGal" for trip back home to California
1965 AC Cobra Replica - 390FE - Black on Black charcoal stripes - "The Black Pearl"
PFSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/28/2005, 01:03 PM   #8
davidathans
My Car Details

Best e.t. : 11.042, Fastest speed: 124.08, Best 60' : 1.615, 0 to 100 in 6.98

i bought a lecarra with the black rubber ring rather than wood and it is sooooo much nicer than the Huge diameter original. It can be bent though.
davidathans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/28/2005, 01:47 PM   #9
jk89cat
My Car Details

eBay: jk89cat

Send a message via MSN to jk89cat
arlie, i like the mark 3 and the grant 1175, i have never had a problem with grant wheels, in fact get the billet mountings whatever you do , takes out the cheese effect of those hoky mounting rings with the accrodian rubber. justin
jk89cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/28/2005, 02:03 PM   #10
Mosesatm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFSlim
Arlie

For what it is worth, I would find a Shelby steering wheel if I was not going back original.

Just for the heck of it, why wouldn't you go with the original 68 steering wheel? Just want something different??

Paul
My car has power steering and I feel that the original wheel is too big for power steering. Maybe when I'm 80 it'll be ok but right now I prefer something a little smaller. If it was just me driving it I'd remove the power steering but since my wife will also drive it we need a happy compromise and power steering with a smaller wheel seems like something that should work for both of us.
Old 12/28/2005, 05:04 PM   #11
Mosesatm

Are the dimensions for the 68 Mustang steering wheel 16" with a 5 3/4" dish?
Old 12/28/2005, 06:11 PM   #12
68MustangHCS
My Car Details

Thumbs up Power Steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosesatm
If it was just me driving it I'd remove the power steering
I have a 68 stang w/power steering and have another with manual, and had a 65 convert with manual steering. Once you have power steering you will never go back to manual steering. Manual is such a bear to wrestle compared to power. I'm in the processes of converting my other 68 from manual to power.
I really like to look of the 1170 Grant wheel. I've seen the wheel in person and like the feel. They have a black wheel just like it, and it is awesome looking.

LowCountrySteve in NC...
68' HCS, 289 2V, 3 spd, Black, Lime Green Metallic
68' HCS, 289 2V, 3 spd, Saddle, Meadowlark Yellow
68MustangHCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/28/2005, 08:37 PM   #13
Mosesatm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68MustangHCS
Once you have power steering you will never go back to manual steering.
Thanks for the comment and the warning about not switching to manual steering. I appreciate the fact that the members on this board look out for each other like this.

That said, what I think you meant to say is that YOU will never go back to manual steering. I consider the power steering in my car to be over-assisted and I don't like it. Since my wife enjoys driving sporty cars I am pretty sure she will also find it too floaty.

My old GT/CS had manual steering and I loved it. I could actually tell what the car was doing while it was going down the road but I would never impose that manual steering system on my wife. It would be a bear and she would not enjoy driving the car. So I say again that if I was the only one driving the car I'd have manual steering.

I know it seems weird that someone may actually like manual steering but we all have different tastes and that is what keeps this site, and this world, interesting.

Last edited by Mosesatm; 12/28/2005 at 10:05 PM..
Old 12/28/2005, 09:17 PM   #14
Mustanglvr
My Car Details

Former GT/CS owner :(

Send a message via Yahoo to Mustanglvr
My Garage
I must say, you guys might laugh at this but the manual steering in my GT/CS makes it a little tough, but I consider it theraputic and a workout for my arms. I have nerve damage in my left leg from degenerative disc disease and using the clutch pedal has strengthened my leg. My family thought I was crazy for buying my car but they don`t realize the good that has come from it. My passion for my car has helped me through some trying times.

RHONDA
GT/CS FOREVER!
Mustanglvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/29/2005, 07:21 AM   #15
nfrntau
My Car Details

My Garage
Arlie,
This is the wheel Tony Branda sells for $320. He sells the hub for $110

http://tinyurl.com/bxf9x

I haven't seen one in person but I like the look best for this style wheel.
Attached Images

You may make it without friends; but with them, you can do anything.
nfrntau is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions