CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 12/26/2005, 06:51 PM   #1
imported_tree
My Car Details

A thing of beauty.

Lightbulb rear window crank-coupe

could someone out there send me an e-mail photo of proper rear window crank. the ones that i have leave to much gap between the top of the handle and the rear quarter? bottom end- (if you get what i mean)also the ones i have a small set screw next to the base ,are these the right ones, or co i need the ones with the clip. thanks terry.....................
imported_tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/26/2005, 07:39 PM   #2
Mosesatm

No clip ("Jesus clip" as we called them in the body shop). Some have an allen head set screw on the side and some have a phillips screw under the center decal. I don't know which is correct (maybe both are) but they are identical except for the attachment.

BTW they are called Jesus clips because when an inexperienced worker finally gets the door panel pushed in just far enough and gets a screwdriver on the clip and pops it off it goes flinging across the shop. He or she then says, "Jesus........". Don't know if that is a universal term or not.
Mosesatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/26/2005, 08:35 PM   #3
390cs68rcode
My Car Details

Have you driven your CS or Cobra Jet today?

eBay: jbsteven1

My Garage
i was under the impression the allen screw ones are for the rear and phillips for the front.

2005 Ford GT (2000hp)226.2 mph in the standing mile, 2008 Superleggera UGR X Version (2000+hp),2014 S63, 89 IROC 30k miles, 150 shot NOS
390cs68rcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/27/2005, 12:58 AM   #4
Perkchiro
My Car Details

eBay: Perkchiro

I believe that is correct Jason, Front cranks get a center screw with and overlay cap and back ones use a side allen screw.

Steve in Missouri
1968 Candyapple Red J Code California Special
Perkchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/27/2005, 09:58 AM   #5
PFSlim
My Car Details

eBay: calspec68

My Garage
You guys are correct. The rear window cranks have an allen screw, front cranks have a phillips screw.

I have recently ordered 1967 cranks because the 1968 cranks break at the knob. The 67 cranks appear to be made better and stronger. I am thinking about using the 67 cranks for day to day and reinstalling the 68 cranks for shows.

Paul

GT/CS sold to "PonyGal" for trip back home to California
1965 AC Cobra Replica - 390FE - Black on Black charcoal stripes - "The Black Pearl"
PFSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/27/2005, 08:10 PM   #6
hookedtrout

eBay: bebopin

Send a message via Yahoo to hookedtrout
My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFSlim
You guys are correct. The rear window cranks have an allen screw, front cranks have a phillips screw.

I have recently ordered 1967 cranks because the 1968 cranks break at the knob. The 67 cranks appear to be made better and stronger. I am thinking about using the 67 cranks for day to day and reinstalling the 68 cranks for shows.

Paul
I went with 67 cranks and stored the 68's, I sure like being able to roll the window down without the worry of breaking off the plastic knobby.

Cory

Cory
hookedtrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/27/2005, 11:51 PM   #7
imported_tree
My Car Details

A thing of beauty.

have a look

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookedtrout
I went with 67 cranks and stored the 68's, I sure like being able to roll the window down without the worry of breaking off the plastic knobby.

Cory
have a look at these,best pictures i can get at this time. orderd 2-68 with knobs for 68 mustang rear quarters window, with allen key in center. thanks terry.......................

Last edited by imported_tree; 06/03/2006 at 11:50 AM..
Old 12/28/2005, 06:25 AM   #8
Mosesatm

That is the correct handle but I've never seen one stick out that far. Sometimes getting the handles to seat takes a fairly firm tap. If they are fully on then maybe your rear panel has a bend in it that's so gentle you can't see it. Is there any padding behind the panel? If not it may not hurt to place some back there to push out the panel a little. Something like firewall or headliner insulation might work. I'm out of ideas. Anyone else?
Mosesatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/28/2005, 07:10 AM   #9
nfrntau
My Car Details

My Garage
The handles you have may be for the Torinos. I picked some up at the boneyard awhile back that looked like Mustang handles. The difference I found was what you have found. They look the same but they stick out farther. I don't remember what the part numbers were.

You may make it without friends; but with them, you can do anything.
nfrntau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/28/2005, 08:09 AM   #10
PFSlim
My Car Details

My Garage
Terry

When you say "Allen Key in center", do you mean in the center of the handle? In other words, are the back cranks like the front cranks in how they mount to the car? If so, they are the wrong handles. The allen key should be on the side of the crank. The crank itself looks like a 68 crank. I don't know anything about Torino handles.

I have ordered several sets - since I keep breaking knobs. I order them from Mustang Unlimited or NPD. They look ver nice and new installed however if the window does not roll up and down very smoothly, the knobs will break off since they are held onto the crank by a plastic piece.

Paul

1965 AC Cobra Replica - 390FE - Black on Black charcoal stripes - "The Black Pearl"
Old 12/28/2005, 10:57 AM   #11
rvrtrash

So many cars, so little time!

My Garage
The knobs I got from Year One had a metal piece that pushed into the rear of the knob, through the handle. Mine haven't broke (yet) and my drivers window hangs up.
Steve
rvrtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/28/2005, 12:44 PM   #12
PFSlim
My Car Details

My Garage
That is a great idea to make it metal. I did not ever order anything from Year One. Wish I would have!!

Paul

Old 12/28/2005, 03:05 PM   #13
imported_tree
My Car Details

A thing of beauty.

cranks

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFSlim
Terry

When you say "Allen Key in center", do you mean in the center of the handle? In other words, are the back cranks like the front cranks in how they mount to the car? If so, they are the wrong handles. The allen key should be on the side of the crank. The crank itself looks like a 68 crank. I don't know anything about Torino handles.

I have ordered several sets - since I keep breaking knobs. I order them from Mustang Unlimited or NPD. They look ver nice and new installed however if the window does not roll up and down very smoothly, the knobs will break off since they are held onto the crank by a plastic piece.

Paul

These are the ones i got with the car. they have the allen screw on the side.the front ones have a center screw phillps i think. Will send picture when i can borrow my friends micro digital camera..

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions