CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 12/11/2005, 08:01 PM   #1
Mosesatm

How to Subdue a Deadly Aqua Seat Back

Arlie and Bill fighting mightily to tag a rare and deadly aqua seat back with a slab of foam. Unfortunately the seat back won the battle after drawing blood and is now locked in the Mustang parts storage room until next week, for round 2 of the battle. Bill and Arlie underestimated the cunning and determination of their foe but they have learned their lesson and will be prepared next time.

Their wives found the whole event quite amusing but the valiant combatants failed to see the humor.

Last edited by Mosesatm; 08/07/2006 at 10:07 AM..
Mosesatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2005, 08:04 PM   #2
390cs68rcode
My Car Details

Have you driven your CS or Cobra Jet today?

eBay: jbsteven1

My Garage

if that was me doing that procedure there would have been more cuss words.

2005 Ford GT (2000hp)226.2 mph in the standing mile, 2008 Superleggera UGR X Version (2000+hp),2014 S63, 89 IROC 30k miles, 150 shot NOS
390cs68rcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2005, 08:15 PM   #3
68gt390
My Car Details

The car that became a diecast

Ah, the joy's of redoing your upholstrey. Let me see if I can remember how many holes I punched in myself versus the seat upholstrey and foam. Answer: Too many. Hog rings and plier's are not my main area of expertise.
Although I did finally get the job done, I don't think I will try it again in the near future. Good luck fella's.

Don

68 GT/CS 390 "S" Code, 4 spd, 93 LX Hatchback Supercharged
68gt390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2005, 08:25 PM   #4
390cs68rcode
My Car Details

Have you driven your CS or Cobra Jet today?

eBay: jbsteven1

My Garage
Don

It took me all of 3 seconds to realize I would rather have someone else do that job for me on the 390.

2005 Ford GT (2000hp)226.2 mph in the standing mile, 2008 Superleggera UGR X Version (2000+hp),2014 S63, 89 IROC 30k miles, 150 shot NOS
390cs68rcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2005, 07:45 AM   #5
case12

'66 Convert., '00 GT Convert., '36 Ford, '07 Shelby GT-H Convt.

eBay: case12

Arlie, I know how it feels. I finally slayed a 66 blue seat after 3 attempts.

I gave up on hog ring pliers (I tried several to no avail) and used a good set of needle noose pliers instead. I can almost guarantee sore fingers when you are done.

Once the beast was slain, I had mine mounted.

Casey
case12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2005, 09:55 PM   #6
joedls
My Car Details

eBay: 65-4-me

I did all the seats in my 65 convertible. First time I had ever done it. I did it over several months while my car was having paint and body work done. I will never do that again. The few hundred it costs to have someone else do it is cheap in my book.

Joe

HP numbers are good and all, but they're like asking someone how much they can bench. What difference does it make, if I can still kick your ass.
joedls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/13/2005, 07:02 AM   #7
nfrntau
My Car Details

My Garage
I am happy to announce that all blood seen that day was not my own. Arlie unfortunately didn't come out quite so lucky although it is expected he will have a quick recovery and no stitches were neccessary.

So tell me guys, what is the secret of connecting the wire on top of the batting to the wire run through the fabric loop on the apolstery when the seat bun is in between? It seemed as though the hog rings weren't quite long enough to make the required journey.

You may make it without friends; but with them, you can do anything.
nfrntau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/13/2005, 09:09 AM   #8
case12

'66 Convert., '00 GT Convert., '36 Ford, '07 Shelby GT-H Convt.

eBay: case12

I had to push my fingers way down in there, and then that is why I used a good set of needle noose pliers instead of hog ring pliers. And I still missed getting the ring around both wires and through everything occasionally. Also be careful to get the seams lined up. I redid one of my seats 3 times because I kept getting the center section crooked.

It was hard, but I would do it again. Casey
case12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/13/2005, 02:21 PM   #9
joedls
My Car Details

eBay: 65-4-me

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfrntau
I am happy to announce that all blood seen that day was not my own. Arlie unfortunately didn't come out quite so lucky although it is expected he will have a quick recovery and no stitches were neccessary.

So tell me guys, what is the secret of connecting the wire on top of the batting to the wire run through the fabric loop on the apolstery when the seat bun is in between? It seemed as though the hog rings weren't quite long enough to make the required journey.
I put a hog ring thru the wire running thru the fabric loop. Then from the frame side, I used a hook I devised from some clothes hanger wire and pulled it thru the foam.Then I would attach it to the wire on top of the batting. Of course, this was after I had cut slits in the batting and the foam for access. Don't know if I did it right, but it seemed to work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	110605 (6).JPG
Views:	11
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	864  

Joe

HP numbers are good and all, but they're like asking someone how much they can bench. What difference does it make, if I can still kick your ass.
joedls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/13/2005, 07:35 PM   #10
Mosesatm

Both are great ideas. One problem we have that I created is that I added an inch of batting material under the foam. I'm going to try running a wire tie through and cinching everything tight that way, then attach the hog wires beside the wire ties. Hopefully a sharpened finger nail file, or something similar, should be able to cut through the foam and batting. This whole process wouldn't be bad if we had better tools. I can envision using something like a valve spring compressor, with a long arm on the bottom and a power hog ring gun on the other side. Where's Tim Taylor when he's really needed?!!!!
Old 12/13/2005, 08:23 PM   #11
jk89cat
My Car Details

eBay: jk89cat

Send a message via MSN to jk89cat
when i was still a mechanic i had to replace seat covers on some conversion vans/trucks, i bought a really nice pair of hog ring pliers from snap on. they really tend to work well. the dont have any comfort sleeving on them, but they hold the ring very well and have had great luck doing some of the said above projects on varoius covers. one thing i have found is easier to install back covers is to make sure its sqaure to foam/frame and slowy roll it down and connect where needed . hope this helps, justin
jk89cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/29/2006, 09:08 AM   #12
Mosesatm

Finally got back to the seat yesterday. Decided to stop fooling around and get serious with that ultimate form of evil so I took a steak knife to it.

Ran the wire tie along the knife from the bottom, stabbed it again but on the other side of the ttachment rod, and ran the tie back down. Worked great. Need to be careful of the knife edge.

If anyone is thinking about doing their own seat covers my only advice is DON'T! A root canal is more fun. Visiting the inlaws, in Fargo, in the middle of winter is more fun.

I have serious reservations about anyone who does this for a living, but I also admire them. It truely is an art.

Last edited by Mosesatm; 06/25/2007 at 08:29 PM..
Old 01/29/2006, 09:12 AM   #13
Mustanglvr
My Car Details

Former GT/CS owner :(

Send a message via Yahoo to Mustanglvr
My Garage
Gee Arlie, those pictures look like you took drastic measures! Did you make sure it was dead first? LOL.

RHONDA
GT/CS FOREVER!
Mustanglvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/29/2006, 09:19 AM   #14
Mosesatm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustanglvr
Gee Arlie, those pictures look like you took drastic measures! Did you make sure it was dead first? LOL.
I was tempted to photoshop some blood on the foam but figured that would be a little too graphic for Sunday morning.
Old 01/29/2006, 09:21 AM   #15
Gatorbait

Talking

Two words: Never again.

68 California Special
68 Convertible (302 FI/AOD)
67 390 GT Convertible
Gatorbait is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > Misc Forums > Off Topic Lounge