CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 11/21/2005, 02:34 PM   #1
luisa2552

He bought it, look who got it!

Paint job questions

Hi all,
My computer has been down for a week and I have missed this site! Anyway, a few days ago i went and checked on my CS that is in for paint and some minor body work. I want to ask some opinions of what i saw. I am paying $4,000 for paint the minor repairs- nothing more than a few minor dings and 1 larger, but not huge, crease in the rear just above the wheel. This car is a daily (almost) driver and I do not expect a showroom finish. They had it stripped down of all it's chrome except the door handles, which were taped off. Why didn't they remove these? They also hadn't removed the scoops or the screens, which they had taped off. I took pictures of it. It otherwise looked good. It was sanded and smooth and the body work looked great. Were they just lazy with the handles? Ane what about the scoops?? Should they be removed and painted separately so they can paint underneath? Or is is because it;s a less expensive paint job? Any advise would be appreciated.
Sara

Sara
Highland Green GT/CS
luisa2552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/21/2005, 03:52 PM   #2
rvrtrash

So many cars, so little time!

My Garage
To get the door handles and lock cyl's out, the interior door panels need to be removed. To get the scoops off, the rear seat and interior quarter trim panels need to be removed. Both take a little time but should be able to be done in less than an hour. I'd talk to them about removing them. It'll make it a nicer job when it's done. If they complain, pay them the extra $45.00 or whatever an hour of shop time is and have them do it anyway.
Steve
rvrtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/21/2005, 04:22 PM   #3
Perkchiro
My Car Details

eBay: Perkchiro

Hey Sara: I just had my car painted and it was $4800 for all the body work, primer, color and clear coats. I also spent about $2000 for sheetmetal replacments in rusted areas such as the rear quarters and trunk drop downs and drivers floor pan. Somewhat of a different situation than yours however, as my project was a complete disassembly for restoration. I agree with Steve in that extra work would be required for the handle and scoop disassembly. The handle removal would require access in the window area and removal of lock and door latch connections. Also, access to the nuts that hold your scoop to the inside of the body would be a more difficult job. I don't see a real problem with keeping these intact for a good paint job. Realize your original color will remain under the scoops and behind the door handles. No one will know but you and your painter if the job is done right. Good luck with your mustang project. Would love to see some pics when you get it back.
Steve

Steve in Missouri
1968 Candyapple Red J Code California Special
Perkchiro is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions