CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 05/12/2006, 08:23 AM   #1
p51
My Car Details

Carpe Diem

Spark plug wires

Who makes the best spark plug wiring kits in terms of heat insulation? Are there "insulation jackets" that I can put on the boots/wires? Where is a good place to buy (either retail store or web)?

I've got shorty headers on my GT/CS and I noticed that every once in a while I get a wiff of hot rubber. When I touch a couple of the spark plug wires they are damn hot, the heat coming from close-by header tubes. The wires have angled boots (non-90 degree) to clear the header tubes and its a standard buy-em-at-Kragens spark plug wiring kit. There is no visible sign of damage to the wires/boots but I have noticed recently that my *cold* idle *seems* a bit more rough (it smooths out when the engine warms up). Any *simple* diagnostics I can run to check to seee if its a problem with the spark plug wiring?

Thanks

James

The world stands aside to let anyone pass who knows where he is going.
p51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/12/2006, 08:32 AM   #2
68gt390
My Car Details

The car that became a diecast

James;
Check Summit Racing or Jegs catalogue. They both carry heat boots for your plug wires. That's were I got mine for my 5.0 that had the same problem. I would also think just about any parts store would carry them as well. You can also get them in a variety of colors.

Don

68 GT/CS 390 "S" Code, 4 spd, 93 LX Hatchback Supercharged
68gt390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/13/2006, 07:44 PM   #3
p51
My Car Details

Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gt390
James;
Check Summit Racing or Jegs catalogue. They both carry heat boots for your plug wires. That's were I got mine for my 5.0 that had the same problem. I would also think just about any parts store would carry them as well. You can also get them in a variety of colors.

Don
Don

Thanks for the info. Found what I needed @Summit Racing - Taylor plug wiring with Taylor thermal insulators for the two "problem" wires that are really close to the header tubes. Seems like it was the best price as well.

James

The world stands aside to let anyone pass who knows where he is going.
p51 is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions