CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 10/05/2005, 05:24 PM   #1
68Fan
My Car Details

I won't retire but I might retread

Send a message via Yahoo to 68Fan
Rear Valence Replacement Question

I am replacing the rear valence on my CS and run into a gap problem. The valance I purchased is a remake from a reputable co. however it sits a bit off kilter when attached to the body. The right/passenger side valence to body gap is less than 1/4 in from top to bottom but the left/drivers side has a tight fit up top and a 1/2 in gap on bottom. There has been fender work done on the driver side but the original valence doesn't have nearly the same discrepancy.

Also, I have notice that some folks have opted not to install the rear bumper guards. Did the actual "GT's" not have them as a standard feature or is this just a preference? The new valence did not come with bottom rear bumper guard holes. Any information and/or opinions on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Sean (aka 68Fan)
68Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2005, 05:38 PM   #2
mikegtcs1968

Re:Rear Valence Replacement Question

Install the valance and get some card board and trace how much material you need between the valance and the quarter panel. After this, get some sheet metal and cut this patch. Massage it into shape and stich weld it along the valance edge. Finish your welding and grind. Then do final body work. This extra work is always necessary when using reproduction pieces. You may be able to cut this patch out of your old valance panel if it isn't damaged. If you need any other advice, just ask.
mikegtcs1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/06/2005, 08:39 AM   #3
PFSlim
My Car Details

eBay: calspec68

My Garage

Sean

We installed a new rear valence as well. However, we replaced our rear quarters at the same time. Therefore, did not have much trouble with the fit.

Keep in mind that the rear bumper will cover the screws for the rear valence. I would think (I don't know for sure) that adjustments could be made (left, right, up or down) on the valence to fit properly. In other words, drilling new holes.

Don't take my word on this 100%. See what other's post and look at the car. The rear valence is fairly flexible and can be shaped a bit if needed during installation.

Can't answer your question about bumper guards. We installed bumper guards on front, but not on back. I did not like the look on rear.

Paul
PFSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/06/2005, 08:54 AM   #4
68Fan
My Car Details

I think not having the bumper guards is a real clean look especially with the chrom tips poking out of the valence. Thanks for you input.
Old 10/06/2005, 06:25 PM   #5
CALIF GIRL
My Car Details

I seem to remember reading the bumper guards came on some 68's and was not on others, sort of like the kneee pad.
CALIF GIRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/07/2005, 02:37 PM   #6
PFSlim
My Car Details

eBay: calspec68

My Garage

68 fan

I just posted a picture on the thread about "Stance" which shows our rear valence. If you need any more pics, we took at alot of pics. Let me know if I can help.

Paul
PFSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/11/2005, 07:51 AM   #7
PB gtcs

68 fan,

If you have not yet painted the valance, then now is the time to drill the holes to make the fit. If you have a freshely painted valance, please be careful when drilling the holes. Use a center punch so the drill will not go skidding accross the fresh paint. As well, we usually put some masking tape on the area first before even using the center punch. Drill through the masking tape and it will help keep you from scratching the paint. finally, put some clear finger nail polish on the newly drilled areas. it will help keep away the rust from those freshly drilled areas.

Brian
PB gtcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/19/2005, 12:22 PM   #8
68Fan
My Car Details

Well, in order to close the topic.... I used my 'old' valence for materials and have welded pieces on to the 'new' valence. scraping, sanding a buffing.... its coming along. Sure would be nice if some of these after market parts were correct from the start. Thanks to everyone who responded. I'll send photos after paint!

Sean (aka 68Fan)

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions