CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 09/29/2005, 02:48 PM   #1
Mosesatm

'67 GTA Question

There was a post on eBay for a '67 GTA with a 289 2V. When I sent the seller a question about the car being a GTA and a 2V this is what I received in response. Does anyone know if his response is factual? He sure sounds like he knows what he's talking about but it still doesn't sound right to me.

There were C code GTA,s made in 1967, however they did not come with the quad tip dual exhaust which were on the 4bbl, hipo, and 390 engines. They came with single exhaust. I did add the 4bbl exhaust setup. You can find this info in the 1967 Illistrated Facts and Specs. book. The Mustang Red Book is also a good source which will break it down better. There is no code or digit that distinguishes a GTA, other than the options of PDB, turn signal hood, pop off gas cap, handling package, Fog lamps, F-70 tires, which have been upgraded also, rocker stripes and badges. One Option which was available was a traction lock rearend which the car came with, according to the codes. The rearend has been changed through the years, but the 3.00 traction number is readable through the tag. I have read articles of C code GTAs Which were bought new and had the original window sticker to prove it. Unless you have the original window sticker or a factory build sheet there is no real way to prove an original. I owned the car 20 years and these options were on the car when I bought it, I tore the car apart for a build sheet, but with no sucess. Thanks Gary
Mosesatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/29/2005, 03:48 PM   #2
Mustanger

Re:'67 GTA Question

Here's some info:

"The premier performance Mustang was still the GT. The GT Equipment Group consisted of the grille-mounted foglamps, power front disc brakes, dual exhausts with chrome quad outlets (excluded on the 200 hp 289), F70x14 tires, GT gas cap, the handling package, rocker panel stripes, and GT or GTA (for automatic transmission equipped GTs) emblems. A total of 24,079 Mustangs were equipped with the GT option. "

http://www.mustangreview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15

Here's a another one:

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/thehis...42/index3.html

Hope this helps :).

Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/29/2005, 05:03 PM   #3
6t8-390gt

1967 was the only year you could order the the GT or GTA option w/ a 2-V engine(1st generation).

Kevin Marti can confirm to be 100% sure. Before I purchased my last car I ordered the standard report to confirm it was a true GT.
6t8-390gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/29/2005, 05:05 PM   #4
Mosesatm

It's interesting that the GT in '67 was purely cosmetic. A 2V GT......who would have guessed?!
Mosesatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/29/2005, 05:42 PM   #5
6t8-390gt

It's also interesting that 1968 was the only year disc brakes were not standard with the GT package.
Old 09/30/2005, 06:15 PM   #6
6t8-390gt

I see the car you are refering to. Personally, I am suspect of the car. The door data plate has non-original rivets attaching it to the door, and it looks as though the paint is very fresh. He could be hiding alot of problems under that fresh paint.

If it were me, I would look at this one before spending alot of money. I would also spend the $25 for a standard Marti report.

Just my 2 cents

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > Misc Forums > Off Topic Lounge