CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 08/09/2005, 11:47 AM   #1
Mosesatm

Cougar Rear Quarter Trim

In case anyone has ever wondered......the rear quarter trim panels from a Cougar are about 2" longer than those of a Mustang so the panels stick into the door opening. The shape of the panels are also a little different. It might be possible to cut and manipulate the Cougar panels enough to make them work but it won't be easy.

Anyone looking for a nice set of used Cougar quarter trim panels? >:( ;D

BTW, we're talking about interior trim panels, not exterior quarter panels. Even I wouldn't try to put Cougar exterior quarter panels on a Mustang!
Mosesatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/09/2005, 12:03 PM   #2
bbeatty

Re:Cougar Rear Quarter Trim

Was this a case of "buy first, measure later?" ;)

I've got a couple of old T-bird taillights I thought would work in a GT/CS sitting on a shelf for the same reason. >:(

Here's the place for those quarter panels. Maybe you can trade for something.

http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/index.php
bbeatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/09/2005, 02:06 PM   #3
meadowsdk28

"It's not what you are that holds you back, it's what you think you are not."

Arlie,
You know, I have about 4 really good, smart-aleck comments I could make, but I'm not done yet with mine and I figure to do something really dumb very soon anyway.

(Besides, I figure there are plenty out there who will fill in this blank:
What in the world was I thinking when I thought I could make ____________fit my GTCS?!?) :)
meadowsdk28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/09/2005, 04:17 PM   #4
Mosesatm

I may still work on making the trim pieces fit or I might just pull the material and arm rests off and install those on mine. I"m not defeated yet, just going to put that little project on hold for a while!!
Old 08/09/2005, 04:24 PM   #5
bbeatty

[quote author=Mosesatm link=board=1;threadid=2009;start=0#msg13351 date=1123629422]
I may still work on making the trim pieces fit ...
[/quote]

There's a big swap meet here this weekend. In the spring version of this meet, I sold a pair for $5 and was glad to get rid of them. Let me know if you want me to look for a set for you.
bbeatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/09/2005, 08:33 PM   #6
mmarsalone

Arlie,

I have a set I could send you if you pick up shipping. I bought them off Ebay. I stripped them and painted them nugget gold to match my interior. I was doing this so I could have them done before I start on the doors. But I decided to strip my originals only because they had the original gold on the back. These extras are light blue on the back. They were stripped, primed, and painted with lacquer. You could probably go right over the gold with your color. The grain is in great shape.

Mike
mmarsalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/10/2005, 04:54 PM   #7
Mosesatm

[quote author=monkey_golf link=board=1;threadid=2009;start=0#msg13362 date=1123644835]
Arlie,

I have a set I could send you if you pick up shipping. I bought them off Ebay. I stripped them and painted them nugget gold to match my interior. I was doing this so I could have them done before I start on the doors. But I decided to strip my originals only because they had the original gold on the back. These extras are light blue on the back. They were stripped, primed, and painted with lacquer. You could probably go right over the gold with your color. The grain is in great shape.

Mike
[/quote]

Thanks for the offer Mike but I have a good set of Mustang panels. I'm just trying to upgrade my interior and was thought that the Cougar panels with the arm rests and leather or vinyl covering would be a nice touch. Most of the Mustang parts vendors offer quarter trim material to cover the metal panels but going that route wouldn't be nearly as much fun as trying to make the Cougar panels fit.

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions