CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 02/21/2003, 10:11 PM   #1
kevin
Banned

Reproduction Lucas Fog lights

Hey guys! I'm currently working on reproducing the Lucas Square 8 fog lights used on the GT/CS. I know of no other reproduction source, so I thought I might give it a try. I am interested in any feedback that you can give me about your interest in this product. I figured that if I was going to spend $200.00 on a set, I might as well try to reproduce them.
I have great experience in foundry work. I have cast the backings of the lights from alluminum(just for trial), and then chrome plated it. I made the lens by vacuum forming plastic. I have made a trial set, and I can not tell the difference between the two visually.
Just thought this might be some interest to you guys on the forum.
Does anyone know why the lights haven't been commercially reproduced yet?
I will get pics posted soon.
kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/21/2003, 10:34 PM   #2
StraightSix

Re:Reproduction Lucas Fog lights

Um, wow! :o

As always: pics please!

You know, even for people who already have the fog lights, some plastic lenses would be nice for driving. Driving with the covers on just doesn't look as cool :)

To answer your question about why the lights haven't been reproduced, I would say that it's because they can still be found without too much difficulty. However, they are pricey, so if you can make repros inexpensively they might sell. Another good point is that the Lucas lights were used on all sorts of British cars of the period, not just the GT/CS, HCS, and Shelby. Your potential market is a lot greater. Of course, that's why they can still be picked up without much difficulty -- they made a lot of them. Kevin, you seem to be quite the handyman. What is your background?

-Winston
StraightSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/21/2003, 10:43 PM   #3

Lucas lights have already been reproduced. I believe they are built in Taiwan or Japan and claim to be exact reproductions. They come up from time to time on ebay for around $50.00.
Old 02/21/2003, 10:50 PM   #4
kevin
Banned

Thats cool, It seems the asians always get to things before americans can :) Oh well. Thanks for the info.
Old 02/22/2003, 06:33 AM   #5
rjw

I think the interest would be huge! As for the $50 reproductions, I have not seen them on ebay. Please post a reference on this site the next time you see them. Having plastic lenses so driving without the covers is a grand idea.
rjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/22/2003, 09:03 AM   #6
admin
Administrator
My Car Details

Just your friendly neighborhood webmaster...

My Garage

Yeah, I haven't seen those $50 ebay deals either, and I've been looking because one of my lenses is cracked.

Kevin, even if you only do the plastic lenses it sounds like quite a demand. I'm sure many would love to keep their original glass lenses for shows and use the plastic for daily driving.
admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/22/2003, 11:35 AM   #7
68sunlitgold
My Car Details

GT/CS nut

I have seen Marchal plastic lenses on ebay, I attached a picture of them. They are not exactly the same but I do believe they would fit the 656's. As for the repros from across the sea, I have seen them advertised but they never include a picture of them, so I was very reluctant to buy them.

Doug
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plasticmarchallenses.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	59  
68sunlitgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/23/2003, 04:42 PM   #8
kevin
Banned

I've checked everywhere for the reproduction lights, even e-mailed Jaguar and Rover forums in Europe. None of the have heard of the reproductions.
I casted some out of zinc this weekend, and the are the same weight as the originals. I copper plated them, then crome plated them. This method worked a lot better.
As soon as I have time, I'll start making some lenses for purchase. I'll keep you updated.
Old 02/24/2003, 08:13 PM   #9
x-codegtcs

eBay: ski*beast

My Garage

I am just talking out of the side of my mouth, but I think the reason they have not been reproduced is because of potential licensing issues with Lucas. Because the part was a standard Lucas part, they may have copyrights and/or design patents. Of course the patents would be dead now, but copyrights live forever (just ask Disney Corp.). Anyway, I do not know if you will want to go too far without first checking into this.

Just as a side note, you will notice that many of the repro parts that are out there are not specific to a brand other than Ford and Ford didn't have any idea the brand they were creating in 64 1/2 or they would have tied a lot of the design work out.

Anyway, just a bit of caution as you work toward this.

Good luck

Bryce
x-codegtcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/25/2003, 05:44 AM   #10
StraightSix

Copyright generally refers to text, music, design drawings, etc. Patents refer to the actual device itself. I don't think that there are any copyright issues here, but there may be patent issues. Of course, patents have to be renewed every so often, so as Bryce pointed out they are probably dead now. I wouldn't worry about this issue personally. The only thing I would see as a problem is if your reproductions retained the Lucas logo or Square 8 name, etc. Even so, I doubt that they would come looking for you :)

-Winston
StraightSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/25/2003, 10:13 AM   #11

I recently purchased a beautifu pair of "correct" and original Lucas Square 8 fog lamps from a man in Sweden. His prices are very reasonable (between $200-300 for the pair) and the lights I purchased were near NOS. This man advertises in the Shelby American Auto Club publication regularly. He also has the light covers that are correct for the 1968 lights. If anyone needs his address (email or mailing) let me know and I'll look it up. Hope this helps. Russ
Old 02/25/2003, 11:55 AM   #12
68sunlitgold
My Car Details

GT/CS nut

This gentleman goes by, I believe, "Jane7" on ebay and has items on ebay alot, so keep looking for them under "square eights".
Doug
68sunlitgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/25/2003, 03:50 PM   #13
kevin
Banned

I got mine from a man in the UK that sells parts for the Rover 3500 P6. He sold them to me for 153.00 with shipping. They look perfect. He has many more.
Old 03/08/2003, 05:45 AM   #14
MArndt2001

Can you give out the name, address, etc for this guy in the UK? ???
MArndt2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/22/2003, 08:34 AM   #15

[quote author=kevin link=board=1;threadid=230;start=0#msg1152 date=1046213404]
I got mine from a man in the UK that sells parts for the Rover 3500 P6. He sold them to me for 153.00 with shipping. They look perfect. He has many more.
[/quote]
I have a 68 HCS and need the fog light I would love to have this address thanks. :) :)

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions