CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 09/13/2005, 07:09 PM   #1
imported_tree
My Car Details

A thing of beauty.

strip on gt/cs

well , fellow gt/cs comrads. need your opions on the subject of putting a gt/cs stripe on my car?the car can be seen on the gallery or these photos that i will try to project on this screen.thanks terry....... ::)
imported_tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/14/2005, 08:49 AM   #2
PFSlim
My Car Details

eBay: calspec68

My Garage
Re:strip on gt/cs

Terry

I hear what you are saying. When we restored our car (see Paul & Brian Stevenson - page 4 of gallery) the paint job was so excellent that I did not want to put the stripe on. However, I am glad we did because the car would not be a GT/CS without the stripe (my opinion).

We installed the stripe ourselves. We ordered from a guy in California. Look back at different posts on this site and you can find the guys name and telephone number.

By the way, you have a great looking car!!!

Paul
PFSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/14/2005, 11:37 AM   #3
njmop

My Garage
Choosing Stripes

I like the stripe, my car too has no stripe (needs paint anyway). What the deal with reflective vs. non-reflective (I know the obvious...). I mean, some vendors offer both, but can I assume that the non-reflective is "stock". Also, does quality differ with the kit vendors? I just don't want to have my car painted and then put on a hack of a stripe!

Anyway...to all, I need Lucas lamps and a RH (passenger) scoop (among other things). Let me know if anyone has a good line on good quality parts.
njmop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/14/2005, 12:23 PM   #4
njmop

My Garage
On more thing

Terry,
I noticed that your car has the fiberglass section painted white (near the tail lights). I like that too. Has anyone figured out if that is a factory option, dealer option or just a personal preference?
:)
Old 09/14/2005, 12:59 PM   #5
19HCS68

FORD, the heartbreak of today's Chevrolet.

Re:On more thing

[quote author=njmop link=board=1;threadid=2136;start=0#msg14444 date=1126725829]
Terry,
I noticed that your car has the fiberglass section painted white (near the tail lights). I like that too. Has anyone figured out if that is a factory option, dealer option or just a personal preference?
[/quote]

It looks to me like the color is argent (Silver), not white. The Shelbys has that part painted argent. I could be wrong, but I do not think that was an option in 68 for Cal Specials or HCS cars. People would paint that part around the taillights (I don't know the name of that part) argent to look like a Shelby when they would repaint the car.

Gary
19HCS68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/14/2005, 02:02 PM   #6
68gt390
My Car Details

The car that became a diecast

Re:On more thing

[quote author=njmop link=board=1;threadid=2136;start=0#msg14444 date=1126725829]
Terry,
[/quote]

The entire tail section on the GT/CS was body color from the factory and was not a dealer option. Some folks prefer to paint that area with argent paint.

Don ;)
68gt390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/14/2005, 02:10 PM   #7
PFSlim
My Car Details

eBay: calspec68

My Garage

All

I don't think the reflective stripe was original. As well, there were only a few colors the stripe came in. The vendor mentioned in this forum (several times in the past) is a guy who knows GT/CS's and knows what colors of stripes should be on cars.

With regards to tail light panels, it was my understanding that they were all painted the same color as the car, but am not sure about it. Paul N. would know for sure plus several other original owners from this site.

Paul
PFSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/14/2005, 05:21 PM   #8
njmop

My Garage
Re:stripE on gt/cs

Thanks for the help. The stripe for my Acupulco blue is white (thanks to all that helped in earlier post). I can't wait to get my car back to it's original color! I think the argent is a nice accent look to the Tree's black CS ;D
Old 09/28/2005, 11:07 AM   #9
PNewitt

Yes, you're right...

No reflective stripes were available for the GT/CS or HCS (which is kinda strange, because the '69 Shelby stripes were designed at the same time at Shelby American for the '69 model year).

The taillight panel was ALWAYS body color, although I've seen many in argent, or in matte black.

Paul N.

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions