CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 06/20/2005, 04:26 PM   #1
Mr. Shelby Guy

Need opinions on a possible buy

Hi, I have an opportunity to buy a 1968 GTO. This car has been mechanically restored but the body and interior needs attention. The body has two small rust spots and the interior is fine except for one seat will need replacing. The Goat is powered by a 400 ci engine with a 4-speed in it. The owner says it's all #'s matching and would like $5,000 obo. The seller is a patient of mine and said I would be able to buy it before anyone else did.

One of my good friends would be able to do a professional restoration on the body and give it a good paint job for an inexpensive price. Is it worth it?

PS: I know that this is a Mustang forum, but I wasn't sure if you guys might be able to help me out. Thanks in advance.
Mr. Shelby Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/20/2005, 04:58 PM   #2
hookedtrout

eBay: bebopin

Send a message via Yahoo to hookedtrout
My Garage
Re:Need opinions on a possible buy

I like goats as long as they have rubber tires. The other type seem to have a facination with climbing on cars and need shot on sight.

Hook
hookedtrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/20/2005, 05:22 PM   #3
390cs68rcode
My Car Details

Have you driven your CS or Cobra Jet today?

eBay: jbsteven1

My Garage

I know nothing about GTO's but from what you describe how much could your downside be? 5k then maybe 5k or more for paint and little touch up seems cheap for a nice looking and running GTO.
390cs68rcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/20/2005, 06:10 PM   #4
rvrtrash

So many cars, so little time!

My Garage

I've heard there are more GTO's registered today than GM ever built. Is there such a thing as a Marti type report for the other guys? ???
Steve
rvrtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/20/2005, 06:10 PM   #5
bbeatty

[quote author=Mr. Shelby Guy link=board=4;threadid=1820;start=0#msg11781 date=1119310010]
The seller is a patient of mine and said I would be able to buy it before anyone else did.

....Is it worth it?

[/quote]

I donít know what you do or sort of patient you have but in it sounds like a potential ethics problem to me. At least protect youself with an independent appraisal and pay at least that if not more if youíre buying from someone who is in the smallest way under your care or influence.
bbeatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/20/2005, 07:17 PM   #6
Sarge

My Garage

I like the '68 goats, and you really can't argue with a 400 cid engine w/4 speed for fun and HP... I like the hidden headlights, the hood air vents, etc. As with anything, you get what you pay for, and given that this is a 30+ year old vehicle, it will only go up in value (to the right buyer, of course). $5,000 seems like a pretty fair price to me, but then what do I know ???
Robert
Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > Misc Forums > Off Topic Lounge