CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 05/29/2005, 01:47 PM   #1
case12

'66 Convert., '00 GT Convert., '36 Ford, '07 Shelby GT-H Convt.

eBay: case12

Lucas Covers

Got a nice pair of Lucas covers from another active member on the site for a good price. I refurbished them and they look great. Just wanted to say thanks to Bish and the others on the site that help out so much! Casey
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lucas_Covers.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	487  
case12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/02/2005, 08:48 AM   #2
PNewitt

Re:Lucas Covers

I've always encouraged owners to put these covers on their lights--especially on the Marchal lights, since the lenses are next to impossible to get. Use anything that fits--as a protection. I used to have a set of checkered padded vinyl covers (with elastic on the back) on my Lucas lights, and they looked really '60's-British".

These are the correct period covers by Lucas to use.

Just as a point of "concours info"; you should take these off for shows, since the covers weren't part of the car when it was bought from the dealer...

But! Don't let this keep anyone from not using them. Besides--they look cool, since it makes the grille look completely blacked out.

Paul N.
Old 06/02/2005, 10:11 AM   #3
bish

Prior Owner 68 HCS Current owner of #2103 68 GT350 & 84.5 Anniversary Vert

Casey,
The covers look great!
Thanks for your kind words, I'm glad you are happy with the set.
I do have a set of covers for Marchal lights, they are not cheap if anyone is interested pm me
bish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/02/2005, 10:19 AM   #4
Perkchiro
My Car Details

eBay: Perkchiro

Hey Casey: When you refurbished your covers, did you replace the white plastic light holes? Mine were yellowed and brittle. Would white plexiglass work? If you don't mind, let me know how the restoration went on the covers. Thanks.
Steve
Perkchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/02/2005, 10:38 AM   #5
mmarsalone

Steve,

I don't think this style cover has plastic in the light hole, it's just a hole. The late styyle had the square, white, plastic window.

Casey, how did you refurb the white lettering? Mine were so bad that I just removed all the white from both covers. So now my grille is really blacked out.

Mike
mmarsalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/02/2005, 02:52 PM   #6
19HCS68

FORD, the heartbreak of today's Chevrolet.

[quote author=monkey_golf link=board=1;threadid=1739;start=0#msg11136 date=1117733920]
Steve,

I don't think this style cover has plastic in the light hole, it's just a hole. The late styyle had the square, white, plastic window.

Casey, how did you refurb the white lettering? Mine were so bad that I just removed all the white from both covers. So now my grille is really blacked out.

Mike
[/quote]

Mike,

That is not just a hole. It should have a white plastic piece that goes in it.

As far as the lettering question. I would use a white enamel paint marker or brush and white paint. First remove all old paint. Testers model paint is pretty tough and should weather pretty well.

Gary
19HCS68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/02/2005, 03:02 PM   #7
mmarsalone

Gary,

Thank for the correction. :) I should have checked the Gallery before posting. I guess mine are missing the plastic also.

Mike
mmarsalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/02/2005, 03:05 PM   #8
19HCS68

FORD, the heartbreak of today's Chevrolet.

Mike,

No correction meant here. Just wanted people that are, or thinking of, restoring these covers to know that it's not just a hole. :)

Gary
19HCS68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/02/2005, 04:04 PM   #9
case12

'66 Convert., '00 GT Convert., '36 Ford, '07 Shelby GT-H Convt.

eBay: case12

As Gary said, there is a plastic eye in the hole. I did not replace mine, and it is a bit yellowed. Bish has redone these before, so he may know how to replace them if you want. Mine are ok enough for me (and are cool looking when you leave your foglights on with the cover on ;)) .

I scrubbed them with "greased lightning" and and tooth brush, and then painted the lettering. The white lettering looks really good now. I used testors white enamel model paint, model paint brush, and I have a steady hand. The lettering is raised, so it is not too hard to do. (Don't paint the word England at the bottom - I dont think it is supposed to be painted).

Thanks again to Bish, and others on this site - the covers look great. Casey
case12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/03/2005, 03:18 PM   #10
68sunlitgold
My Car Details

GT/CS nut

The plastic "hole" was placed in the covers as an easier way to see if you had accidently turned your lights on while the covers where on. This way the "hole" would shine if the lights were on.

Doug
68sunlitgold is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions