CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 02/08/2003, 11:49 PM   #1

Progress!

Finally got the siezed 302 out of the "J" CS/GT tonight! This is the third engine my husband and I have pulled in the last year, and this time, I felt like it actually went pretty well with minimal swearing and no major fights or threats of divorce! Sadly, a couple of the sparkplug holes on the driver's head had almost completely rusted closed--the holes that remained were the diameter of a 16-penny nail (the sparkplugs were removed and left out 23 years ago--NOT by me!). I wonder if the block is even rebuildable anymore. Once I get the thing under it's own power from the donor 302 I picked up, I'm going to remove the heads on the old block and take a look.

Tomorrow I am going to push it out of the garage and give the darned thing a major bath--I'm sick of working around 23 years worth of cobwebs (and hopefully no live black widows!).

I'm just so excited tonight--it feels like the home stretch is in sight on this thing now and it's actually going to be a "real" car again, despite the 1980 expiration on the plates! Just had to share...
Old 02/09/2003, 06:38 AM   #2
68sunlitgold
My Car Details

GT/CS nut

Re:Progress!

Deadstang,
As long as the block is not crack, it should be salvagable. I had a friend who restored his father old '35 Olds and eveyone of the pistons where rusted into the cylinders. He said he took it to the machine shop and they boiled it and hammered like h*ll :o, but got every piston out and was able to use the original block. I would hope you could do the same.
I glad that you see the light at the end of the tunnel. ;D
Doug

68sunlitgold is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions