CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 01/30/2003, 06:38 PM   #1

Underside of Decklid

Do any of you GT/CS owners have pictures or can take on of the underside of you decklid? I am about to buy one, but it looks like a cheaply made reproduction. Did the original lid have a frame just like the non-shelbyl 68 decklid, or was it different? I would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks,
Kevin Kersey
Old 01/30/2003, 07:06 PM   #2
StraightSix

Re:Underside of Decklid

The original decklid does have a frame, also made of fiberglass. Both the the main decklid and the frame are die-stamped fiberglass,however, so they're totally smooth. You can't see any of the fibers on their surfaces.

-Winston
StraightSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/31/2003, 05:47 AM   #3
68sunlitgold
My Car Details

GT/CS nut

yoyoyo,
Here is a pic of the trunk lid underside. It should look just like the underside of a regular metal trunklid. I hope this helps you.
Doug
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JJtrunklid.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	36  
68sunlitgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/31/2003, 07:22 AM   #4
StraightSix

And as a contrast, here's what it shouldn't look like (though mine is a pretty good reproduction):

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trunkclose.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	37  
Old 01/31/2003, 07:45 AM   #5
68sunlitgold
My Car Details

GT/CS nut

yoyoyo,
if you can not see the difference, I realize my picture is from far away, but the bottom should be smooth and as you can see in straightsix's you should not see what looks like fiberglass fibers, is should be smooth. I hope that make it clear.

Winston,
do you know where your trunklid came from?
Doug
Old 01/31/2003, 08:04 AM   #6
StraightSix

No idea... the previous owner told me everything was original >:( ... that was before I knew a lot about GT/CS's. I had emailed him (the car was on eBay) asking about specific GT/CS parts and he assured me they were all original. I won the auction, he drove the car to me, and I paid him. He also gave me a copy of the 1996 Registry, and over the next day or two I read it and discovered several fake/incorrect parts that were ones I specifically asked about. We had some words and he ended up refunding me a good bit of money.

Anyway, the trunk lid's an excellent copy... the only giveaway is the visible fibers. Everything else (top, sides, frame) looks like it should. I do know that my end caps are original because I've pulled them and they are smooth all over. I suspect that my tail panel and side scoops are original, but I don't know for sure because I haven't pulled them. I do wish I knew who made the trunklid, because it could be a great repro part for the GT/CS. It could even be made to look correct with thin layer of bondo or gel coat over the fibers.

-Winston
Old 01/31/2003, 01:29 PM   #7
68sunlitgold
My Car Details

GT/CS nut

Winston,
As far as I have heard Branda has the best, I have not really heard from any one else on other producers but have noticed most other's always have the statement that says, "like most reproduction fiberglass, some fitting maybe needed". Makes you question the quality :-\
Doug
Old 02/01/2003, 12:00 AM   #8
x-codegtcs

eBay: ski*beast

My Garage

PS Branda buys from California Pony Parts. I haven't tried contacting them directly though. :-\
x-codegtcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/02/2003, 06:03 PM   #9

Thanks guys. I really appreciate it.

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions