CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 09/14/2007, 10:13 PM   #1
davidathans
My Car Details

Best e.t. : 11.042, Fastest speed: 124.08, Best 60' : 1.615, 0 to 100 in 6.98

Power Steering RAM leak Question

i noticed a big puddle on my garage floor and i climbed under the car to inspect and there is a leak that comes out from where the gasket is in the power steering RAM.

My question:

Do i have to replace the RAM or can i just put in a new gasket?
or if you were me would you replace the RAM and put in all new hoses at the same time?

thanks,
David
davidathans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/15/2007, 07:49 AM   #2
franklinair
My Car Details

My Garage
Lots of choices: you can overhaul yours (O/H kits available), or replace it ($$$). Hoses are on condition - if they have cracks showing externally, they should be replaced.
Neil Hoppe
franklinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/15/2007, 07:40 PM   #3
Perkchiro
My Car Details

eBay: Perkchiro

David: I tried to overhaul mine and just couldn't get the seals out of it. I took it to a machine shop and they said the ram rod was bent and there was no way it wouldn't leak if left as it was. They ended up cutting open the case and rebuilding the ram and replacing the seals. They pressure tested it and it works great. I had other issues such as leaks in other areas and crossed hoses, but all's well now. I would suggest you inspect it really well and consider just buying a replacement from one of the Mustang suppliers. Last time I checked, I think they're about 100 bucks. Good luck and I hope you get it fixed quick.

Steve in Missouri
1968 Candyapple Red J Code California Special
Perkchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/15/2007, 08:32 PM   #4
hicountrybob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkchiro View Post
David: I tried to overhaul mine and just couldn't get the seals out of it. I took it to a machine shop and they said the ram rod was bent and there was no way it wouldn't leak if left as it was. They ended up cutting open the case and rebuilding the ram and replacing the seals. They pressure tested it and it works great. I had other issues such as leaks in other areas and crossed hoses, but all's well now. I would suggest you inspect it really well and consider just buying a replacement from one of the Mustang suppliers. Last time I checked, I think they're about 100 bucks. Good luck and I hope you get it fixed quick.
All very good ideas, you guys!!!! And my experience has been also that, IF THESE MUSTANGS OF OURS DON'T LEAK SOME, THEN THEY ARE EMPTY!!! Just joking and punning. Bob here.
hicountrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/15/2007, 09:43 PM   #5
rvrtrash

So many cars, so little time!

My Garage
If you're going to buy a new one, get one for a mid 70's Granada along with the hoses. They have O-Ring fittings instead of flare and are less likely to leak (or so I've heard).

Steve

The wannabe formerly known as an owner.
rvrtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/16/2007, 12:27 AM   #6
davidathans
My Car Details

Whoops i made a mistake...the part where the leak is coming from is not called the RAM ....it is the control valve....its the gasket in the control valve...i looked in my mustang's plus catalog and its part # 3188 for $100.95
they have a control valve rebuild kit for 56.95 part #8522

has anyone had to rebuild their control valve? what advice can you give me?

thanks
Old 09/16/2007, 05:32 PM   #7
Perkchiro
My Car Details

eBay: Perkchiro

David: I did rebuild my control valve and it was a very straight forward project once you disconnect it from the pitman arm and control link. Mine didn't work out for me because after the rebuild and install, I discovered a crack in the control valve. There was so much oil, grease and muck I couldn't see it until after it was reinstalled and the fluid pressure was applied to it. I ended up ordering a new one from Flaming River. If I had it to do over, I would just order a new one. It would be money well spent.

Steve in Missouri
1968 Candyapple Red J Code California Special
Perkchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/16/2007, 07:55 PM   #8
davidathans
My Car Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkchiro View Post
David: I did rebuild my control valve and it was a very straight forward project once you disconnect it from the pitman arm and control link. Mine didn't work out for me because after the rebuild and install, I discovered a crack in the control valve. There was so much oil, grease and muck I couldn't see it until after it was reinstalled and the fluid pressure was applied to it. I ended up ordering a new one from Flaming River. If I had it to do over, I would just order a new one. It would be money well spent.

thank you so much steve for your advise...i think im just going to put in a new one and replace some hoses when i do it...the leak is coming from near the gasket, but it could easily be a crack too...thanks again...cant wait to drive my car again

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions