CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 12/26/2017, 02:40 PM   #16
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
Eric,
Be very careful removing the nut. If it does not spin off somewhat easily you will rip the carriage bolt and the thin metal that holds it on the light. I am very close to producing a very close, if not concurs quality, nut to replace the them. They are either metric or British Whitworth threads so do not run a tap on them at all.

I would get a small high speed grinder and cut the nut in half to remove it. Or better yet, take the lenses and bulbs out and ship the light bodies to me. I will cut them off and fix you up.

Rob
robert campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/26/2017, 03:48 PM   #17
1968Cally

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklinair View Post
Parts source possibilities:
Lucas lights/parts: Marty Rupp
Lucas Light stanchions & hardware:Rob Campbell
GT/CS Grill: Mike Jewell

The fog light connector is a 2 pin (male/female type) on the fog light, matching the car's harness (located near the horn wires on the left & right sides as Arlie stated).
The location of the stanchion mounting holes (on the wide grill molding) is described in the GT/CS owner's book.
Hope this helps.

Neil
What is the GTCS owners book? is this the one referenced in the other thread, or is it the GTCS Recognition Guide. If they are different books, how do they differ. Is one geared to what is correct.

Just got word that my new GTCS acquisition is being picked up in Florida tomorrow. Then, depending on other pickups and drop-offs it could be a week to 10 days until I get her to the Chicago area. It is so cold here, I wonder if she will even start coming off the truck!
1968Cally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/26/2017, 04:05 PM   #18
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
Same book by Paul Newitt.
Old 12/26/2017, 06:20 PM   #19
68gulfstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968Cally View Post
Just got word that my new GTCS acquisition is being picked up in Florida tomorrow. Then, depending on other pickups and drop-offs it could be a week to 10 days until I get her to the Chicago area. It is so cold here, I wonder if she will even start coming off the truck!
The most recent hardcover book should get you where you need to go. Tons of good info. It's about $80. Did you buy the red GT/CS that was for sale in the Tallahassee area? That was the only red one in Florida that I saw recently.

I found the fog light wiring sockets on my car, hanging down behind the grille. Right now the Lucas bolts are soaking in PB Blaster and then I'll try to heat them up and remove them. Or cut them off. If that fails, they're all yours Rob

68gulfstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/26/2017, 07:02 PM   #20
hcsmustangs

Reproduction lamp parts for driving lamps

I reproduce the mounting parts per Bob Teetís lamp parts kit if you are interested. I have a number of sets in stock. I also have stripe kits and 68 HCS Decals. Pleas let me know if I can help. Thanks.
hcsmustangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/27/2017, 06:15 AM   #21
1968Cally

"The most recent hardcover book should get you where you need to go. Tons of good info. It's about $80. Did you buy the red GT/CS that was for sale in the Tallahassee area? That was the only red one in Florida that I saw recently."

No. My current Avatar is the GTCS I owned from 2002-2005. I recently sold my 1955 Bel Air and decided to pursue another GTCS. I found that "mine' had been sold at auction in England back in 2015. The one I bought was from a fellow member, JoeyMiami. It is Sunlit Gold in color.

I believe he is giving me his copy of the recognition guide.
1968Cally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/27/2017, 07:46 AM   #22
Mosesatm

Wow, you bought a beautiful car!

This getting older ain't for cowards. - John Mellencamp
Mosesatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/27/2017, 11:29 AM   #23
retroman99

If you're not living on the Edge you're taking up too much room

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gulfstream View Post
The Marchals look reallly cool but I'll at least try to put mine back to stock.

Just ordered a set of the Marchal grille brackets from Delta Bay Mustang, they were $85 and they still have some. I'm one step closer.

I will see if I can remove what is left of those broken tube nuts and maybe salvage the lights I have.

One more question - any thoughts on the grill that is currently on there? I am planning to find an original '67 but I should figure out what I have before I tear it out.
the grill that is in there now appears to be a 67 grill it may be repo hard to tell. so from what I can see all you need is the fog light brackets. 1 point to consider is depending on when the car was made it may have come with Marchels. from what I have seen early cars can have either depending on if they took them to the dealer and had them replaced. others may have more info
retroman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/27/2017, 01:27 PM   #24
Mosesatm

GT/CS grilles are modified '67 grilles. IMO your best bet is to cut the grille that's on the car instead of spending $100 for the same thing. I found that tin snips work well.

Until a certain date (can't remember when, and I'm too lazy to look it up) the cars came with Marchal lights but they were recalled and replaced with the Lucas units. After that date the cars were equipped with Lucas lights from the factory.

All California Specials and '68 HCSs have the Marchal brackets even if they were originally fitted with Lucas lights.

Some cars still have original Marchal lights because their owners didn't heed the recall.

This getting older ain't for cowards. - John Mellencamp
Mosesatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/27/2017, 01:32 PM   #25
68gulfstream

The Marchals are tempting, but the car was built on 6/20/68 so that probably means it had Lucas from the factory.

The lights in the photos came with the car so there's a chance they are the original set it was built with.
68gulfstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/27/2017, 08:42 PM   #26
Batgirl89

My Garage
Eric thats awesome you found the plugs! I agree go with your Lucas originals!
Sheryl
Batgirl89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/29/2017, 12:11 PM   #27
rvrtrash

So many cars, so little time!

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert campbell View Post
Eric,
Be very careful removing the nut. If it does not spin off somewhat easily you will rip the carriage bolt and the thin metal that holds it on the light. I am very close to producing a very close, if not concurs quality, nut to replace the them. They are either metric or British Whitworth threads so do not run a tap on them at all.

Rob
I still cast my vote for BSF (British Standard Fine) threads.

Steve

The wannabe formerly known as an owner.
rvrtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/29/2017, 01:18 PM   #28
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
Well they sure ain't American fine thread!!! Gently tried that!!

Rob
Old 01/14/2018, 03:39 PM   #29
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
All,
I have a British Fine Thread tap and die now. Perfect fit to the Lucas Fog Lamp threads. I have sourced 3/4 hex stock to make exact replicas of the Lucas light nuts. I have 1/ 1/8 round stock and will make perfect copies of the stanchions. The square washers that reinforce the grill and gravel shield are fun to source, but I have a run of 80 on order to support 20 cars. Each light needs two square washers. Star washer and grommet are easy peasy.

My plan is to put together a complete kit for one GT/CS and HCS Mustang. I have enough material to make 20 sets.

This is a joint effort between me and a very close machinist friend. Eric, in your case if you ship me your bare light buckets, I will remove the nuts and chase the threads for you so they will install like butter.

Have not figured out a price yet, but it will be reasonable considering that they are obsolete now. I am not in it to make money, but to recover some of my time and material costs.

Rob
Old 01/14/2018, 07:49 PM   #30
Tequila

My Garage
Hi Rob,
I am definitely interested in a set. I can PM you my details when you are ready to take orders. Thanks for pulling this together.

Reggie
Tequila is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions