CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 12/25/2017, 07:25 PM   #1
68gulfstream

Take a look at my Lucas Fog Light situation

I'm working out the best way to get the Lucas fog lights correctly fitted. Turns out I actually have the mounting pedestals, but one of them is filled with epoxy. The mounting bolts look broken and I don't see an obvious way to swap in fresh ones. Reassembling the wiring is definitely something I can handle.

Would love to hear how you'd approach this, any ideas are welcome. The grille is also an issue, but let's start with a look at the lights and pedestals.

68gulfstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/25/2017, 07:32 PM   #2
68gulfstream

Obviously the grille and surround are non-GT/CS replacement parts. From what I have seen, the correct grille has a large hole for each fog light and a vertical bracket lined up on that hole. That's all missing, along with the holes in the surround.

Should I get a 1967 grille, cut the holes, and paint it the correct color? I would still need the brackets that go behind the grille, I'm not sure what they are called or a part number.

Then wiring it up - I don't see an obvious point to connect the leads but maybe I'm missing something.

Old 12/25/2017, 07:44 PM   #3
Mosesatm

If someone makes round-headed rivets can you drill out the old ones and install new? The rivets can't be seen unless someone looks for them so normal pop rivets may work.

Delta Bay Mustang may have the fog light brackets; sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. Mike Jewell (somethingspecial) made GT/CS grilles in the past; he may have an extra.

If the car is an original GT/CS or GT it should have a large breaker next to the fuse box. If the car has that breaker it should be wired for fog lights, and there should be bullet connectors near the lights, unless someone rewired the car with the wrong harness.

Attached is a drawing of the grill openings
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grille Cutout.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	21886  

Last edited by Mosesatm; 12/25/2017 at 07:55 PM..

This getting older ain't for cowards. - John Mellencamp
Mosesatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/25/2017, 07:51 PM   #4
68gulfstream

Good point. I could use split rivets. I have some of those.
Old 12/25/2017, 08:00 PM   #5
Mosesatm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosesatm View Post
If someone makes round-headed rivets can you drill out the old ones and install new? The rivets can't be seen unless someone looks for them so normal pop rivets may work.

Delta Bay Mustang may have the fog light brackets; sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. Mike Jewell (somethingspecial) made GT/CS grilles in the past; he may have an extra.

If the car is an original GT/CS or GT it should have a large breaker next to the fuse box. If the car has that breaker it should be wired for fog lights, and there should be bullet connectors near the lights, unless someone rewired the car with the wrong harness.

Attached is a drawing of the grill openings
Here is a photo of the fuse box and breaker. The fuse box is on the right, the breaker on the left.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Fuse BoxDSCN1972 (1000x750).jpg
Views:	23
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	21887  

Old 12/25/2017, 08:14 PM   #6
Mosesatm

It's difficult to see in this photo but the fog light wire is in the same general area as the horn wire. If you can trace the horn wire down to the opening in the core support you should see an extra wire.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Fog Light Wiring.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	21888  

Old 12/25/2017, 08:26 PM   #7
68gulfstream

I think the breaker is there. It might be flipped upside down. There's the fog light switch too. Looking pretty sloppy down there!

Old 12/25/2017, 08:39 PM   #8
Mosesatm

It's there, so the wiring for the fog lights should be in place, too.

Old 12/25/2017, 09:26 PM   #9
franklinair
My Car Details

My Garage
Parts source possibilities:
Lucas lights/parts: Marty Rupp
Lucas Light stanchions & hardware:Rob Campbell
GT/CS Grill: Mike Jewell

The fog light connector is a 2 pin (male/female type) on the fog light, matching the car's harness (located near the horn wires on the left & right sides as Arlie stated).
The location of the stanchion mounting holes (on the wide grill molding) is described in the GT/CS owner's book.
Hope this helps.

Neil
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0390.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	21889   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0382.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	21890  
franklinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/25/2017, 09:48 PM   #10
Ruppstang

My Garage
Here are some pictures of some Lucas fog light the one with England on the glass is a correct assembly line light the other with foreign glass and large wire grommet is a latter replacement. I do not know what your goals for your car but if it is a driver the replacement would be far cheaper.
The one picture shows the wiring detail Neil was referring to.
I think You have assembly line lights that could be saved. Looks like the tubular nut was cut off. If you do not have the GTCS book I have a drawing I can email to you.
Marty
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HCS fog light restoration 005_crop.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	21891   Click image for larger version

Name:	HCS fog light restoration 004_crop.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	21892  

Follow HCS restoration at http://68hcs.weebly.com
Ruppstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/25/2017, 10:24 PM   #11
68gulfstream

Great point, I should have checked the book. The grille section is really helpful and has a parts list AND the wiring is in there too. The other photos are great as well to demonstrate the differences and details. Thanks guys.

I'm not really sure of my goals for the car yet. I know I want to drive it often, maintain it properly, and assemble the missing correct parts (originals I hope). Once it's complete and healthy, then I can go through it and make decisions on what can be improved. I hope to give it the attention to detail that it deserves.

Maybe I can rebuild my lights scavenging Lucas parts and riveting the adjuster base back on, if I can find the hardware. Or I could just buy a complete set of originals if they pop up.

What would you recommend to cut out the grille holes? A cutoff wheel on a Dremel?
Old 12/25/2017, 10:36 PM   #12
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
I am all over building the Lucas light kits for GT/CS and HCS cars. Eric you may only need the nuts and some minor hardware. Neil is sending me a nut to copy, and that may e all you need. But you need to remove what is left on you bolt form the light. that may need heat and a lot of lube to get it off. Or taking a small grinder cutting wheel to gently cut it off.

Rob
robert campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/25/2017, 11:22 PM   #13
Mosesatm

If you don't want to mess with posts and cutting your lower grille panel these may be the way to go.
https://www.npdlink.com/store/produc...50767-438.html

Last edited by Mosesatm; 12/25/2017 at 11:36 PM..

Old 12/26/2017, 08:18 AM   #14
franklinair
My Car Details

My Garage
I'm using the Marchal repros on my next CS project. You need to have the Marchal mounting brackets on the grill to mount them.

Neil
franklinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/26/2017, 11:01 AM   #15
68gulfstream

The Marchals look reallly cool but I'll at least try to put mine back to stock.

Just ordered a set of the Marchal grille brackets from Delta Bay Mustang, they were $85 and they still have some. I'm one step closer.

I will see if I can remove what is left of those broken tube nuts and maybe salvage the lights I have.

One more question - any thoughts on the grill that is currently on there? I am planning to find an original '67 but I should figure out what I have before I tear it out.

Last edited by 68gulfstream; 12/26/2017 at 12:03 PM..

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions