CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 02/15/2005, 06:50 PM   #1
Mosesatm

Low riding Lucas Lights

Here is a link to a good looking GT/CS for sale on ebay. Does anyone know why so many cars have the Lucas fog lights sitting on low pedestals? Were low pedestals offered, or an option, or installed by the dealers?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...00812&rd=1
Mosesatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/15/2005, 07:35 PM   #2
68gt390
My Car Details

The car that became a diecast

Re:Low riding Lucas Lights

The mountings you see on this car were used only on the Shelby's not the GT/CS. There was only one type of mounting pedestal used on the GT/CS. Unfortunately, some of the Ford Dealers used those instead of the correct ones. Also some folks use them because they like the looks of them better. My car had those same type mountings when I bought it.

Don
68gt390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/15/2005, 09:11 PM   #3
nfrntau
My Car Details

My Garage

Gotta love that color!!
nfrntau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/16/2005, 10:18 AM   #4
case12

'66 Convert., '00 GT Convert., '36 Ford, '07 Shelby GT-H Convt.

eBay: case12

I know this has been asked before, and it is in Paul's book, but what color are the pedestals supposed to be painted (the taller ones for GT/CS)? I have read they were to be grey. However, mine look original but are the slightly tinted bluish grey color (also used on power steering pumps). Casey
case12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/16/2005, 11:22 AM   #5
mmarsalone

It was my understanding that the pedestals were supposed to be the same color as the grille and the grille surrounds. Thus, giving them the appearance of "floating" in the grille as teh Marchals.

Mike
mmarsalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/16/2005, 02:44 PM   #6
68gt390
My Car Details

The car that became a diecast

[quote author=case12 link=board=1;threadid=1412;start=0#msg8231 date=1108574315]
I know this has been asked before, and it is in Paul's book, but what color are the pedestals supposed to be painted (the taller ones for GT/CS)? I have read they were to be grey. However, mine look original but are the slightly tinted bluish grey color (also used on power steering pumps). Casey
[/quote]

Casey;
They should be "Dark Gray Metallic", same color as the grille moldings. It's very possible your pedestals may have faded over time or been repainted the incorrect color.

Don
68gt390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/16/2005, 02:52 PM   #7
hookedtrout

eBay: bebopin

Send a message via Yahoo to hookedtrout
My Garage

[quote author=nfrntau link=board=1;threadid=1412;start=0#msg8230 date=1108527061]
Gotta love that color!!
[/quote]

Yes you do, best looking color of them all! ;D

Hook
hookedtrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/16/2005, 03:06 PM   #8
68sunlitgold
My Car Details

GT/CS nut

Mosesatm,
the reason for the small square pedelstal, like Don said they are used on Shelby's, but the they are what came in the Lucas light kit from Ford. The dealer had to also order the pedelstal kit for the GT/CS during the recall. Many dealers only ordered the light kit, which again was the same for CS & Shelby, and mounted them like a Shelby.

Doug
68sunlitgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/16/2005, 03:47 PM   #9
Sarge

My Garage

I love the color too (of course...) but am curious of the 3 point seat belts this car has. How do people feel about adding the 3 point belts vs. the standard "lap belt and receiver" and "shoulder belt and receiver" method that they used in 1968? I have been toying with this idea since I got mine, but haven't done it... yet...
Thanks,
Robert
Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/16/2005, 05:41 PM   #10
our special

Robert, I've been thinking along the same lines on the three point belts, because I feel they are safer and certainly not as restrictive as the original belts.

The only thing that 's holding be back, no pun intended, is that they would hang down when you are showing the car and I really don't like that.

I would like to have them mounted on the top anchor point, in a such a way that they can be unhooked when showing the car.

I was thinking that if the metal piece on the shoulder belt, where it mounts on the top anchor bolt, had a key hole type slot instead of just the bolt hole, that would allow the belt to be unhooked when not being used.

This is similiar to the way the '69 ? / 70 Mustang shoulder belt hooks into the lap belt.

Any thoughts on this?

Dave
our special is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions