CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 01/16/2013, 07:28 PM   #1
Forsche

Well, I just bought the "7 million in gold and 1 GT/CS" car

This car has been discussed on this forum. Here is a link to one of the articles.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow...140706645.html

I have a few bad pics but took a real risk here in buying it. Have not seen the car. I got a Marti report and the car is an original GT/CS. Now I need to figure out how I get the car back to atlanta. Deciding on shipping or getting the car in roadworthy shape there and attempting a road trip. I'll keep you informed!
Forsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/19/2013, 10:38 AM   #2
admin
Administrator
My Car Details

Just your friendly neighborhood webmaster...

My Garage
Congrats! (Hopefully that still applies after you see it! )

How did you track down that car? I had searched (not too hard mind you) and never could find any photos of it in any of the news articles.

I'd check under the seats when you get it. Maybe the hoarder previous owner stashed a few extra gold coins in it!

admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/19/2013, 11:36 AM   #3
BroadwayBlue
My Car Details

Send a message via AIM to BroadwayBlue
Congratulations and best of luck! Keep us up to date on the progress!

Rich

1968 Acapulco Blue GT/CS 289 * 1996 Red GT Convertible *
BroadwayBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/19/2013, 01:31 PM   #4
Forsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Congrats! (Hopefully that still applies after you see it! )

How did you track down that car? I had searched (not too hard mind you) and never could find any photos of it in any of the news articles.

I'd check under the seats when you get it. Maybe the hoarder previous owner stashed a few extra gold coins in it!
Thanks. I'll keep you all informed. I tracked down the car by contacting the County Clerk who was handling the estate. He was quoted in the articles so I emailed him and asked how they planned to sell the car. He said they were going to do an open auction so I just submitted my bid to him. No doubt a risk but what's life without a bit of risk and fun thrown in?!?

I'm shipping the car to a good friend in IL who owns an auto shop. He's currently doing his own barn find....a '68 Chevelle 396. He's going to let me know what I have and just how much I'd need to do. Of course my biggest concern is rot but hoping the car is in good shape.

Trust me, there will be no gold in the car. The County clerk told me they searched the house and property with metal detectors and I have a pic of the car where you can see they pulled the rear seat. Probably even took the quarters that were rightfully mine. : )

I was able to confirm that Walter Samaszko was the original owner. The county clerk is including a letter from him that the original title had Walter and his mother's names on it. Unfortunately they did not keep a copy of that title. They retitled after his death so the title that I'll get says "Estate of Walter Samaszko".

Should be interesting.....

Steve

Will send other pics when I get them. Here are a couple for now.
Old 01/19/2013, 01:40 PM   #5
Forsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlue View Post
Congratulations and best of luck! Keep us up to date on the progress!
Thanks, here's a couple of the only pics I got from the County Clerks office....and one of my '68 f100 : )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	041-2.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	15689   Click image for larger version

Name:	Samaszko Car-2.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	15690   Click image for larger version

Name:	038-1.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	15691  

Click image for larger version

Name:	044.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	15692   Click image for larger version

Name:	039.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	15693   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0594.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	15694  

Old 01/20/2013, 02:34 AM   #6
candycal

Congratulations, looks like a nice car - love the bug deflector. Nothing beats a classic car with a story and you've sure got one. All the best with it.

Rick.
candycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/20/2013, 04:53 AM   #7
gt/csj4

eBay: jtot8126

My Garage
Holy bug Shields! That's one clean cal, looks nicely optioned too. Congrats

1967 GTA 289 2v silver frost coupe (SOLD)
1968 California Special 302 4v 4 spd
gt/csj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/20/2013, 06:15 AM   #8
Forsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by candycal View Post
Congratulations, looks like a nice car - love the bug deflector. Nothing beats a classic car with a story and you've sure got one. All the best with it.
Yes, the bug deflector is a classic. I can't decide if I take it off or leave it on....just because it was part of the history. Frankly not sure I can stomach leaving it on.

Thanks for the nice comments about the car. Shipping is hopefully the end of next week. Will be shipping it to my good friend and mechanic in Illinois who will let me know what shape its in and what needs to be done. Then, assuming I don't have a basket case, we'll get it running and ship in on down to Atlanta.

Steve
Old 01/20/2013, 10:40 AM   #9
stangfan

GT/CS 8R01C150245

My Garage
Here's a suggestion. Take a few pictures from different angles, showing the bug deflector, then take it off the car. Preserve it with anything else you remove as part of it's past.

I've never seen one of those on a Mustang before.

Steve Cracknell
stangfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/20/2013, 11:08 AM   #10
DeadStang

My Garage
Wow, that looks really good. Congrats! :)
DeadStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/20/2013, 11:24 AM   #11
gt/csj4

eBay: jtot8126

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangfan View Post
Here's a suggestion. Take a few pictures from different angles, showing the bug deflector, then take it off the car. Preserve it with anything else you remove as part of it's past.

thats a real good idea. And that makes two of us (not pokingfun here) the last time a have seen a deflector like that was on my dads 76' f-100. ...Great truck

Btw that pin stripe is curious, I don't believe I have ever seen a pin stripe that starts on the lower part of the 1/4 extensions and rises up then follows towards the front. Doesn't look bad, just different. I can see why they deleted the louvered hoods for CJ gt/cs and hcs cars... There is a lot going on with the scoop and vents together. I have given the car several looks and it looks to be in really good condition, the paint even looks to be in good condition ( Make sure to paint it red tho, DieselDonna still needs to remain the only cali thats lime gold )

1967 GTA 289 2v silver frost coupe (SOLD)
1968 California Special 302 4v 4 spd
gt/csj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/20/2013, 12:46 PM   #12
Forsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangfan View Post

Thanks. I think there is a reason you've never seen one on a mustang before! Definitely will keep it if it comes off the car. Will take plenty of picture before that.
Old 01/20/2013, 12:49 PM   #13
Forsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt/csj4 View Post
thats a real good idea. And that makes two of us (not pokingfun here) the last time a have seen a deflector like that was on my dads 76' f-100. ...Great truck

Btw that pin stripe is curious, I don't believe I have ever seen a pin stripe that starts on the lower part of the 1/4 extensions and rises up then follows towards the front. Doesn't look bad, just different. I can see why they deleted the louvered hoods for CJ gt/cs and hcs cars... There is a lot going on with the scoop and vents together. I have given the car several looks and it looks to be in really good condition, the paint even looks to be in good condition ( Make sure to paint it red tho, DieselDonna still needs to remain the only cali thats lime gold )
Thanks. It does look pretty clean but ya just never know. I'll be interested to check out that hood scoop. I suspect it's been on there for a long time. I understand that DieselDonna has the rights to Lime gold so will be ordering up a red re-paint as soon as I get it back here.
Old 01/20/2013, 01:51 PM   #14
somethingspecial

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsche View Post
I understand that DieselDonna has the rights to Lime gold so will be ordering up a red re-paint as soon as I get it back here.
Don't let these folks fool you. There are lots of GT/CSs Lime Gold. LOL Unless of course you truly want to repaint RED.

Mike Jewell
GT/CS Registrar
mikej@bigbytes.com
If at first you don't succeed, Parachuting is not for you!!!!
somethingspecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/20/2013, 02:08 PM   #15
whodat

eBay: metronash

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt/csj4 View Post

Wrong! Mine is Lime-Gold and I wouldn't change it.
whodat is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions