• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 cam shaft

green56

If i have a problem with a lob on the cam shaft how could i tell that something is bad with the cam do i have to pull the heads or what? If you are going to say that your compression would be down all cyl run from 155 to 160 I am ready for any thing at this point Tom WI

robert campbell

Tom,
The only way to check it is to pull it out. This can be done with the engine in the car. You could get a dial indicator and measure the lift of each cam lobe. They like compression should be very close in lift to each other.

If the intake and valve covers are removed, you can remove each lifter and inspect the bottom of them. The lifter bottom can tell you a lot about the cam condition.

Your compression readings are great and that indicates that the valves are adjusted properly.

Personally I do not think you have a cam with a flat or worn lobe. I also do not think you firing order is out, because the engine most times will not even run. But that is easy to check.

Please answer ALL the below questions so we can help you!!

1. How old is the motor build or how many miles is on it?
2. Do you have any valve train noise?
3. Have you taken a vacuum reading and if so what does it run at hot idle?
4. What is your initial timing set at?
5. Does your vacuum advance hold vacuum? Is it dual diaphragm?
6. What port does you PCV valve connect to? The spacer below the carb?
7. Have you checked all vacuum hoses for their condition?
8. If you put your finger over the PCV valve when running does the idle improve?

Rob

OP
OP
G

green56

Rob what you are asking will have to wait until i get back on my feet then will try to get you all the info you ask if the snow don't fly Thanks Tom WI