CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 01/14/2017, 11:01 AM   #46
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
Marty,
It even has the original single exhaust! Not in very good shape. The owner is going to upgrade to the dual exhaust with the GT rear valance and trumpets! I think it is going to get a color change also. What a time capsule! Even the front seat upholstery is still rip free. It has seen very little sunlight for the bulk of its life. The one down side is it is an undercoat car. It is totally rust free, but that crap is awful.

Rob
robert campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/18/2017, 11:08 AM   #47
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
Dudes,
not to bore you with non-car stuff, but this 1977 Yamaha SR-500 landed in my garage. Had not been run since around 1998. It had been garaged so it was not too bad. The usual carb rebuild, petcock rebuild, and brake fluid service for this one. No electric start and this one piston behemoth is fun to start!!

Kinda cool old bike and she runs great again!!

Starting sub frame connectors for Val's Fastback this week!!

Rob

Old 01/18/2017, 06:12 PM   #48
08gtcslady

Shame it just "ended up" in your garage...lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
08gtcslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/29/2017, 03:30 PM   #49
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
Val's Fastback has Maier Racing Sub Frame Connectors and Calvert Racing Caltrac Traction bars. Both of these companies make the best of the best. I had the same setup on the GNS. Made a huge difference in transfer weight to the rear tires and mo traction is the result. Also going on is a pair of Calvert Racing 90/10 shocks that allow the front end to rise up quickly and then settle slowly keep the weight to the rear.

Learned a bit more on this installation to bolt the Maier Racing connectors at the point right under the seat pan at the front of the leaf spring. This area is a sandwich of three layers of unit steel and the main strength of the leaf spring area. I used two 1/2 inch fine thread bolts to assist in smashing the three layers together. If welded in this spot you stress the spot welds as it only attaches to the bottom layer of metal.

The four point connection of the Maier connector grabs up into the rear frame area and also attaches in two places in the front. Far superior than connectors that do not reach this far to provide additional connection points.

Again Rob is on the search for traction. I hope this may make the 295 50R 15 Firestone Firehawks bite a bit better. Right now they are nearly useless in harnessing this new motor.

Rob

Old 01/29/2017, 03:49 PM   #50
Mosesatm

Rob,
I'm sure glad we have you to do all our research!
Mosesatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/29/2017, 08:19 PM   #51
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
Arlie,
My pleasure in the testing of HP parts! Wish I was spending some one else's money!! Na!!! I like spending my own!!

Rob
Old 01/30/2017, 10:26 PM   #52
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
Today I completed the installation of the Maier Racing sub-frame connectors, and the Calvert Racing traction bars and 90/10 shocks. I set the below Firestone Firehawk 295 50R 15's to 18 pounds of air pressure. Roads were dry, but temperature was only 50 degrees. Heated them up with three nice burn outs with no clutch involvement. Crap, hit the 6,000 rpm rev limiter once. Tried some experimental launches with no clutch activity what so ever. Just 5 mile an hour stabs into the throttle...... No luck with traction.... First and second were comical. Third gear I actually got the rear end to plant enough to bring the front end up and plant the back end a bit. could feel tire shake a bit as the tires squirmed a bit!

Below is a pic of the tires on the floor. The Prestone container is 12 inches from the floor to the top of the black cap for reference..... I guess sand bags are next before I go to drag radials....

Rob

Old 01/31/2017, 08:02 AM   #53
franklinair
My Car Details

My Garage
LOL You just reminded me of putting CBS blocks in the trunk of a Chrysler 300B to gain traction at the drag races in Miami. We always ended up running against a Mercedes Gull Wing in the finals. Sometimes we even won! 1957 was the year.

Neil
franklinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/31/2017, 10:28 AM   #54
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
I have two 60 pound sand bags in my truck for Winter traction. Hmmm, I suppose they would fit easily into my trunk!!

Rob
Old 02/09/2017, 04:19 PM   #55
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
Dudes,
Check out the 1966 Shelby GT-350-H customer car in my shop. It is beautiful under the car and all the way around. Fresh quality restoration. I fixed a pan leak and need to fix a water pump leak. Some basic tuning and get her ready for summer. It is absolutely one of the best paint jobs I have seen.

Val really likes it!! Gosh wonder if he will adopt me.....

Rob

Old 02/10/2017, 04:56 AM   #56
08gtcslady

Sweet!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
08gtcslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/11/2017, 10:50 AM   #57
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
Yet another 1967 Firebird. Very nice rust free restoration of a bird that was stored for over 25 years. Owner had numerous complaints from poor acceleration rattles and oil leaks. No choke and other starting issues.

He had two original Rochester Quadrajet carbs and the original intake. He was leaning towards a more factory look, so off came the intake and on the original with the proper divorce choke and a thorough going through. New brass float and other Rochester Q-jets tricks were done. These carbs are very simple and I have great success with them. They were pulled off in the droves and replaced with Holley's in the 70's. They are very good carbs and valuable these days for the numbers match crowd.

While the intake was off I replaced the valley pan gasket and cured one leak. The other was the left valve cover and I added some valve cover bolt spreaders to provide a more even torque. Pretty much oil on the floor free now!

Rattles were exhaust related and cured. Adjusted the clutch and the shifter for the 4 speed. This is a 10.5 to 1 compression ratio 400 Pontiac that goes like stink now!! when I got it the throttle linkage was so out of adjustment that he barely opened the secondary's. He has them all in now!!

Owner hated to drive it with its problems. He is ecstatic now and loves his bird!!

Rob

Old 03/11/2017, 11:19 AM   #58
clubpro

Cool

Wow that takes me back to high school. The Cragar wheels where what all of my buddies had to have on their cars back in 74. That is a beautiful car!

I wish that I lived closer to you Rob. You would have a 69 Cougar Eliminator as your next car in the shop.

Keep putting those classics back on the road.

Cheers,

Ron

"You can't build a reputation on what you're going to do." - Henry Ford
clubpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/11/2017, 11:38 AM   #59
Ruppstang

My Garage
Beautiful car and another Triple B Garage happy customer. I wish we closer, I have a couple that could use some of Dr. Rob's help.
Marty

Follow HCS restoration at http://68hcs.weebly.com
Ruppstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/11/2017, 12:43 PM   #60
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
Ron/Marty,
My favorite sayin is "I ain't very good, but I'm slow"!! I wish we lived closer too!! I worked a Texaco station pumping gas in 1972. One of the "senior" station guys had a 69 or 70 428 Cougar Eliminator with a 4 speed. I knew very little back then, but I remember the 428 and the spoiler!! And to think this may have a been only two years old. Ah, the old days!!

Putting a Stewart Warner voltmeter and matching oil gauge in the Fastback today. I hated the non-working ammeter.....

I have a 289 on the engine stand getting aluminum heads and a bigger cam. Degreed the cam in yesterday and then bolt on the eye candy!! Love to work with new performance parts and someone else's money!!!

Taking ownership of a 1969 460 motor next week. More than likely will go straight to a friend. These were 10.5 to 1 motors also and made 500 foot pounds of torque at 2,800 rpm. That should move some linguini around like the Lincoln it came out of!!!

A day at home with no garage projects is one boring day!!

Rob

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions